This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

any 'Shipment & Software status'- update?

Comments

• woeiwoei Member
    You see what happens when you get mysterious @Emile ;-). Don't do that :P Btw, can we expect a software update anytime soon?
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited May 2016
    woei said:
    Btw, can we expect a software update anytime soon?
    If they're pinpointing a date for shipping the rest of the Homey pre-orders (the 'retail experience' batch), then there will have to be a software update first... the current (beta) state is still quite far removed from a retail experience... so I'm very curious about that email update.
  • So for my own understanding, we are able to receive an email today with a new update regarding the delivery of Homey. Am I right?
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    Ok, i read the email from stefan. that homey is still not stable for retail is clear, but

"...wait a little bit, until we think Homey is good enough for everyone to use, and go for the full retail experience..."

is a little bit vague  ;) 

how long will it take? i know nobody can tell a real date, but perhaps something like "1-2 month" because on christmas it's too long to wait!
  • I was also wondering, after reading the e-mail, if the issues are just in the software or also in the hardware. Of course I would like to have my Homey as soon as possible and if the issues can be fixed with a software update, that would be nice. But if the issues are in the hardware, they can't be fixed anymore unless I start soldering myself. :) (which is also an option, if it's not too difficult)
  • ArjanArjan Member
    edited May 2016
    Hmm strange this email hasn't been send to current Homey users
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    the email is for the waiting pre-orderers. but you are right, the infos are for every homey-user notable ;-) 
  • I am considering to cancel my order. This is taking too long.
    It looks to me when 1 problem is fixed 2 new problems occure. 
    The whole idea was great but maybe it is a bubble which is about to burst.

Why should i keep my euro's on the bank at Athom?
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    Yeah, I definitely hope the current Homey user base will also receive an email with a status update... we're the ones who decided to have faith in Athom and just go for it, knowing that Homey wasn't retail ready... I hope Athom can convince us that we made the right choice there, and that they are still worth that faith...
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    Amelsfort said:
    I was also wondering, after reading the e-mail, if the issues are just in the software or also in the hardware. Of course I would like to have my Homey as soon as possible and if the issues can be fixed with a software update, that would be nice. But if the issues are in the hardware, they can't be fixed anymore unless I start soldering myself. :) (which is also an option, if it's not too difficult)
    Up till now the only (presumed) hardware-issue is the placement of the IR-transmitters and receiver afaik. However, these can still be improved through software too according to this respons). Don´t know how many Homey´s are in stock but apart from that : getting delivered later will only be an advantage in terms of user-experience and a disadvantage in terms of fun to test, develop and play with...
  • @phil_s option: CTRL-C and CTRL-V (between quote brackets)? Would be much appreciated!
  • myllesmylles Member
    edited May 2016

Hi xxxxxxx

You have pre-ordered Homey some time ago, so firstly, we want to thank you! Without believers and supporters such as you, we would never have gotten this far. As you might have noticed, developing Homey has not been without delays. We've definitely been a little bit naive and too optimistic about our timelines, and we are sorry for that.

As you (might) know, well over a thousand Homeys are already shipped and working well. However, there also were, and still are, many bugs for us to fix and things to improve. We are still working really hard every day with our entire team to improve Homey's software. It does takes some more time than we, and probably you, have hoped, but we're definitely getting there. Homey is getting much better every day, and we're also getting more and more proud of the product we made (and are still making)!

For us, the idea of a 'Pre-order' has always been the same experience as when you would buy Homey in a store, just sooner. However, as we realize we’re not there just yet, we're facing a tough decision: ship Homeys and maybe underperform, or don't ship just yet, and polish Homey a bit more.

Both options have their advantages and disadvantages. For example, customers based in The Netherlands have the right to return a product without reason within 14 days. Since we're still a startup and close team, every returned Homey is a direct hit for us, also financially. On the other hand, we don't want to keep anyone waiting: that wouldn't be fair either, and we see a lot of people eager for their Homey!

Because we care about the Homey experience, but also about customer freedom, we want to give you the choice of when you receive your Homey: You can either choose to receive Homey in the coming weeks (probably shipped around the 23rd of May), or wait a little bit, until we think Homey is good enough for everyone to use, and go for the full retail experience.

If you want to receive Homey as soon as possible, we obviously cannot enforce that you won't return it. We would like to ask you however to think twice about it, as your support really makes a difference here. If you understand this and want to get your hands on your Homey as soon as possible, you can go to the Request form and fill it in:

If you’d rather wait for the complete experience, you don’t have to do anything, and we will ship Homey to you as soon as it’s ready to rock. And don’t worry, you will still receive it well before retail launch.

Thank you so much for your patience and time. We're doing everything we can to make Homey the best product you’ve ever had – and will have!

Love,

Athom

• @mylles thanks but please remove the link (it contains your info)!
  • so how is this differen then the earlier sent email on this topic? was this the big political 'news' thing today?
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited May 2016
    @ericjanvanputten : Don't know who made it big political 'news' but in my company it's common usage to first inform the board (that's me and one other) and then put out a press-release... If someone (either me or my partner in business) is not available the message has to wait...
    We'll post an update this week about pre-orders!
    and

Sorry, business politics required me to delay it until Tuesday!
    and
    Lol no, nothing of that all. We just wanted to check with our shareholders before we pinpoint the date :) Email should be sent today by Stefan.
  • @ericjanvanputten : Don't know who made it big political 'news' but in my company it's common usage to first inform the board (that's me and one other) and then put out a press-release... If someone (either me or my partner in business) is not available the message has to wait...
    I get the idea behind it and that he cannot say something after he checked all the checkboxes, but still it came accross like something way bigger initially... although... it is what the mind and speculation makes of it ;) - well happy continuous development ;) lets hope for that ;) 
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    @mylles thanks for sharing that mail.

As you (might) know, well over a thousand Homeys are already shipped and working well.
    Working well? The software definitely isn't working well, and with eg the IR issue, there are serious doubts about the hardware as well. Athom must have a different idea about what these words mean, than I do.

Homey is getting much better every day...
    Too bad that we, the users who already have a Homey, neither see this improvement, nor are kept up-to-date on the progress that is being made. It's been weeks since the last software update, and equally long since Athom provided any insight in how things are really going with these issues (see also my feedback here - I really hope Athom will do anything with that post to improve their communication ).

• bvdbosbvdbos Member
    @Bumblez : experience differ a lot, seeing for example what @caseda just posted, what's interesting is what is the difference between your setups... I still see improvement though not as fast as we might hope. Otoh, it's not been two weeks since the last FW came out as experimental let alone stable. I see quite some feedback of things that are happening, but actually: never enough. However, it's not like this is Thunderbird or something like that which is completely open source and open development.
  • nklerknklerk Member
    Well my homey works well. Sure there are bugs, but that's something I choose by having sent my homy sooner.

Most important to me is that the homey has a great foundation.

The bugs will be fixed while the community develope great apps. And if something is broken then we have to help out, report and wait until it's fixed 
  • HomdomHomdom Member

Homey is getting much better every day...
    Too bad that we, the users who already have a Homey, neither see this improvement, nor are kept up-to-date on the progress that is being made. It's been weeks since the last software update, and equally long since Athom provided any insight in how things are really going with these issues (see also my feedback here - I really hope Athom will do anything with that post to improve their communication ).

A day is 24 Hour ??  Last update 336 Hour  :'( :'( :s >:)
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    @BasVanDenBosch ;  Yes, I know that there are some Homeys that are working well (and at least as many that are not). If only part of the Homeys is functioning correctly, would you, as a company, then dare to say that "well over a thousand Homeys are already shipped and working well." ? Because that is definitely not true.

@nklerk - see also the post I linked in my previous reply. It's not even the bugs I'm most concerned about, it's the lack of communication and transparency on most of these issues. And I'm not asking for a bugfix, I am asking for an honest and open status update from Athom, to let us know where they are at.
  • Bumblez said:
    @BasVanDenBosch ;  Yes, I know that there are some Homeys that are working well (and at least as many that are not). If only part of the Homeys is functioning correctly, would you, as a company, then dare to say that "well over a thousand Homeys are already shipped and working well." ? Because that is definitely not true.

@nklerk - see also the post I linked in my previous reply. It's not even the bugs I'm most concerned about, it's the lack of communication and transparency on most of these issues. And I'm not asking for a bugfix, I am asking for an honest and open status update from Athom, to let us know where they are at.
    Of the thousands of Homeys, close to none (as far as I know in the low 10's) have crashed beyond repair, i.e. help from athom's office was needed, i.e. bricked. All others have (limited) functionalitiy, i.e. working well.

Don't expect retail experience if you have a beta product and don't complain about getting beta experience if you don't have a retail product.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    I think most of the user know that, after 2,5 years, the can't expect a retail experience.
    An stable Homey would be the least to expect.
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    @KoenMartens ; Please re-read my posts, because it appears that you completely missed the point. I'm not complaining about my beta experience, I'm complaining about Athom's bad communication.

And if "it hasn't crashed beyond repair" is you definition of "working well", then I hope you never ever take a job in the automobile industry!
  • I wouldn't complain so much about communication or how the product is working if you compare this to other home domotica controllers. If you could just take a look how Fibaro and Vera were when they started and how long it has taken to become stable. I realize this is not possible now but these company's were 10 times worse regarding communication. It also took certainly more then 2 years in retail before a stable release was realized and these are products that only supports zwave and IP as communication protocols.

Personally I find the communication much better then their competitors at the moment. I am sure this will also improve when there is some breathing space and the major bugs get ironed out.

• BumblezBumblez Member
    edited May 2016
    I seriously doubt that Athom have 2 years (or even a year) to stabilize their product. The home automation market is very much in motion right now, several companies are already developing similar products (though not yet as versatile in terms of supported technologies), and big players like Apple and Google want their slice of the pie as well. A year from now, Homey may not be that special or unique anymore.
    And how bad Fibaro and Vera communicated in the past, should never be a guideline for how Athom should do it.

As Emile said "every returned Homey is a direct hit for us, also financially." Indirectly, this also applies to all Homeys sold on marktplaats, because the people who bought it on marktplaats, would otherwise (most likely) have bought it from Athom themselves, which would mean another Homey sold (and more money). So it's critically important for them to keep the faith from their customers. Communication, and especially managing customer expectations, is vital there. So regardless of how other companies did, Athom will need to improve in this field (and fast).

Some recommendations:
      - let us know which issues they are currently working on (what is planned for the next firmware update)
      - give us a short status update at the end of every week (issues probably fixed/currently in testing/currently under analysis/in development)
      - if people report an issue to their support email, they should at least receive a reply informing them when someone from the team expects to have time to look at it. Right now, if you're lucky, you will receive one email with a recommendation ("try this..."), and if that doesn't solve your problem and you send a reply informing them, then chances are you won't hear from them for weeks.
  • @Emile, how is the iOS app coming along?
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    the webpage of athom tells every buyer "Homey will be shipped in Q2. Reserve yours now!".
    and that is just not true and in the past there were several promises with other dates.

i really like the product, idea etc. and i have not an homey sofar, but this smells like someone will muck around. every new customer on this page think he will get a retail and stable homey and then he must realise that the product he bought will be shipped 1 year later?!

that is not fair and not a good transparency!
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    also on the page at the bottom there ist a 14 daysmoney back garantee. 
    am ia right that this is not only for customers in the netherlands...?
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    For the upcoming update : 

From slack : 

- Complete mobile rewrite (super duper awesome, also for developers)
    - Lots of stability updates (still didn't find the cause of the freeze though)
    - Apps to Apps communication
    - Speech session (so Homey talks back through the smartphone - or any other client you might hack together)
    - Temporary fixed flow scrolling
    - UI improvements
    - Sunset/sunrise fixed (also more conditions like it's night)
    - App watchdog that kills misbehaving apps (5s of more than 80% cpu usage or 5s more than 100MB ram)
    - Some Z-Wave fixes (before we do the rewrite)

:smile: 
    Hopefully they will release this week.