This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

any 'Shipment & Software status'- update?

124»

Comments

• BumblezBumblez Member
    Yeah, I know how important documentation is, I was only kidding (in reply to jorden's 3 minutes joke)

Though I have to say, a good programmer could get quite a bit done by reverse engineering the code that superice writes...
  • jordenjorden Member
    @Bumblez Oh no! Cannot wait that long. ;) 

Writing documentation is a pain in the ass.  :s
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited May 2016
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/1430/software-status#latest

"Every Friday a summary of that week will be posted here."

Excellent! I hope that will include the progress made (or challenges encountered) during that week (even when there is no software update released), which issues will have priority for the upcoming week, stuff like that.
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    @Athom what is the last date for the pre-order batch in may? i just can't decide if i will take the chance or have to wait.

i even don't understand the text in stefans mail where he writes something about thinking twice ("We would like to ask you however to think twice about it, as your support really makes a difference here.")

Can someone explain in a different way what athom decision athom would help? if i will get it in may and test, or when i would wait longer?
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    @phil_s : I think you know what the status of development is as you're on the forums quite some time already. Like I said before, the only hardware issue which has been presumed up till now is about the placement of IR so in the end, I don't think you'll get a different Homey. Meaning it's only about experience: Do you mind you might run into some issues which may (or may not) be different from the later delivery. Just my opinion...
  • Bumblez said:
    Yeah, I know how important documentation is, I was only kidding (in reply to jorden's 3 minutes joke)

Though I have to say, a good programmer could get quite a bit done by reverse engineering the code that superice writes...
    Good code should be self-documenting, but as you probably know, the road to good code is paved with ugly hacks and quick fixes ;)

jorden said:
    Writing documentation is a pain in the ass.  :s

Not really :) It's a bit like teaching people how to code; it might be frustrating initially, but when people create awesome stuff because of the docs you wrote, that's one of the most rewarding feelings ever. Besides, writing proper documentation is not only important for other people: the 'you' from the past is another person as well, and you'll curse him for writing crappy code ;)
  • HansieNLHansieNL Member
    edited May 2016
    @superice : what program, if possible freeware, is the easiest/best to start with to start writing apps?
    I used the screensaver app as an example to write my own screensaver app, but did it all in a simple texteditor.
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    edited May 2016
    thank you @BasVanDenBosch ;
    yeah, i know the status of developement quiet well.
     i was just so ... should i or shouldn't i now...but hey you are right!

thank you for your little kick i will order it now! :-)

Edit:

• HansieNL said:
    @superice : what program, if possible freeware, is the easiest/best to start with to start writing apps?
    I used the screensaver app as an example to the write my own screensaver app, but did it all in a simple texteditor.
    To start writing Homey apps? Or do you mean Android / iOS apps? Or even desktop applications? I'd gladly help you any further with any of these, but I don't think that's a suitable discussion for this topic. Shall we continue this conversation through either forum PMs, Slack, or e-mail (rick [-at-] athom.nl) ?
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited May 2016
    @Emile I absolutely love the amount of information provided in this week's software status update. Thank you for listening to the requests for this kind of information! This gives us Homey users a much better understanding of what's going on behind the screens, and what we can and cannot expect in the near future!
  • I second @Bumblez post, thank you @emile !