This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

television (TV) with good working API

does anybody knows which brand television has a good working API? How do they call this? 
I want to buy a samsung, but I can't find if the new ones have good api's. 
So Philips or LG or ?

Comments

• I have a Samsung Smart TV as well but as I understand from the experts on this forum their API is pretty bad so you might wanna stay away from that if automation with your TV is high on the priority list. There are already apps for LG and Philips in the app store, so yes, that would be a good choice.
  • The problem is that I can't find a list of new televisions that are supported. It's not mentioned in the specifications. 
  • The API for the philips-TV's isn't really extensive...
  • @BasVanDenBosch Thank you, maybe LG? 
    Somebody experience with LG?

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    I have an LG and I like WebOS really much. Also made the Homey app for it :-)

Make sure you got WebOS 2 though.
  • Thank you! I already came to the conclusion that LG with WebOS was the best choise for Homey!
  • woeiwoei Member
    Unfortunately I am already stuck with several Samsung (smart) TV's. Any chance someone is going to attempt to write an app for that anyway? My primary concern is changing the input source, tv channel and volume. (in that order)
  • Thank you! I already came to the conclusion that LG with WebOS was the best choise for Homey!
  • woei said:
    Unfortunately I am already stuck with several Samsung (smart) TV's. Any chance someone is going to attempt to write an app for that anyway? My primary concern is changing the input source, tv channel and volume. (in that order)
    Would love this as well! Including the optio to turn on/off the tv
  • woei said:
    Would love this as well! Including the optio to turn on/off the tv
    that would be my wish for now. 
    my Philips TV is working with the app, and I can get it in Stand by, but how to turn it ON again?
    Would be nice to have a card for it..

• bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited April 2016
    I think it's not possible through jointspace. You'd have to program your IR-remote for this.

I created a flow "bigbang" which turns on the tv with IR (no problem with this) and after 30 seconds sets the channel to Veronica through the philips-app. The tv takes some time to boot up. However, this didn't change the channel. After setting the wait-time to two minutes it did work. Apparently, jointspace on Philips-tv's takes some time to boot up. It will be quicker to use IR for channel-selection too.
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited April 2016
    I tried creating a flow which first turns on my tv through IR and next changes the channel through IR. When using the same remote (device programmed in Homey) the action "change channel" which should be called after 35 seconds ran at the same moment as the action "turn on". I had to create a duplicate IR-device to achieve this while testing, when using with a normal trigger this works as it should, no duplicate device needed.  -> #437

Unfortunately the problem with IR is that we have no feedback. Most of the time I need to set 3 presses to set the channel. Sometimes this is to much and the tv sees I entered 99. If I restart the flow the tv get's turned off as the standby-button is the same for "on" and "off".

So I'll need more flows with a variable to be able to manage this
  • I turn my Philips TV on by using a CoCo remote as follows:
    1. By using the Wake on LAN app I activate the JointSPACE server on the TV.
    2. After 10 seconds, JointSPACE server needs some time to wake up, by using the HTTP request flow cards, I send the following HTTP Post JSON URL: http://your-TV-ip/5/input/key JSON: {"key":"Standby"} which actually turns on my TV.
    3. On the TV I have Tasker running together with RESTasker which sends a JSON to my Homey changing a boolean parameter in Better Logic app to true. This parameter is used as an additional check before continuing with the flow. The event within Tasker is "Screen on" when the event "Screen off" is triggered the Better Logic boolean is changed to false.

Below are the screenshots for turning on and off my TV:

• Wow, the Wake-On-Lan works for Philips? I'm going to try that tonight   :)
  • You can check your JointSPACE version, in my case 5, by turning on your TV and opening the following websites:
    Have fun testing.
This discussion has been closed.