This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Homey doesn't want to connect to Airport Extreme

2»

Comments

• HrDolfsma said:
    I will reset the homey and see if it will connect to wifi and register with the firewall rule for blocking google DNS disabled. Give me a minute....

Have reset the homey and re-ran the installation procedure. Both times it said it couldn't connect to the wifi network (voice), but in fact, it did. Both tomes the ring turned to 'rainbow' (which in my account is the setting) after waiting some more. And in the app, the homey turns up as online.

So basically, for users of homey the solution is roughly as follows, as it appears: If you block google DNS, unblock it for homey to work. If you don't actively block google DNS, wait a little while (max 5 minutes or so) before giving up after the devices tells you it cannot connect to your wifi network.

For the homey developers: please remove the hard-coded DNS servers from your source code and let the default DNS servers on the customer's network do the resolving. It's simply not done to force your device to use hardcoded DNS servers (or any hardcoded ip's for that matter), but you can certainly not force your customers to use Google's data-mining DNS servers. Privacy is a thing in 2016.... 

I can confirm that by disabling the Google DNS related routing rules Homey connects.  :)
    So a +1 for removing the hard-coded DNS servers from the source code.
  • NgmDeMoelNgmDeMoel Member
    edited April 2016
    I had the same problem. The fix for me was to change the specified control channel of the wifi to auto.

In addition I'd like to mention that the install tool does not work properly in all browsers, but don't think this does effect the actual installation.
  • NgmDeMoel said:
    In addition I'd like to mention that the install tool does not work properly in all browsers, but don't think this does effect the actual installation.
    Its mentioned and written multiple times in Manuals/Topics/Emails that setup should be done in/with Chrome on a Windows PC (so IOS chrome is also not supported).
  • @email can you please comment on the assumption that Google DNS servers are needed and that it is hard coded into homey?
  • @email can you please comment on the assumption that Google DNS servers are needed and that it is hard coded into homey?
    Hardcoded doesn't have to be a issue, as long as homey can detect that some DNS servers are not reachable and falls back on different servers.
  • MarcoF said:
    NgmDeMoel said:
    Its mentioned and written multiple times in Manuals/Topics/Emails that setup should be done in/with Chrome on a Windows PC (so IOS chrome is also not supported).
    Actually, on a Mac it works perfectly too. Only on IOS it doesn't work well because Chrome on IOS is actually a Safari browser with different theming... Apple restricts developers  in this area.
  • MarcoF said:
    @email can you please comment on the assumption that Google DNS servers are needed and that it is hard coded into homey?
    Hardcoded doesn't have to be a issue, as long as homey can detect that some DNS servers are not reachable and falls back on different servers.
    I'm not saying it's bad per se, an assumption is made here and I think it would be a good thing if @emile would react on it.
    @Emile is not gonna comment on this me guess.
This discussion has been closed.