This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Homey doesn't want to connect to Airport Extreme

Just received my Homey, tried to connect it to my Airport Extreme with WPA2 but somehow it doesn't want to connect. After a couple of reboots (power on/off) the Homey still says how to setup but connecting to the HomeySetup wifi isn't possible anymore (still available but can't join). Any tricks on howto do a full reset or force it to connect to the wifi via a CLI?

Comments

• Is the airport only on 5 GHz? In my case the Homey only saw my 2.4 GHz network and not the 5 GHz one...
  • Both the networks have the same name, would that explain it? Any clues on how to get the Homey to accept the wifi setup again?
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2016
    You could try to change the network names AND/OR disable the 5Ghz mode.
    My former Netgear AP had the ability to give each network/Ghz mode its own name.

I named them;
    • MarcoF24Ghz
    • MarcoF5Ghz
    Worked great :smile: 

• I've changed the 5GHz to a different name, didn't help. It just said "I'm sorry I can't connect to the wifi network" (with some serious distortion).
  • I have the same problem with my Airport Time Capsule........
  • I've also the same WiFi name for my 2.4 and 5 Ghz network. What I did (and what's working for me) is type manualy the network name.
  • edited April 2016
    @Voogeltje At first I had the same issue connecting to my 2,4 Ghz (non airport) network. Put the Homey upside down till it told me to go to setup.athom.com and I tried again and it suddenly did work. Perhaps you can try again?

I'm experiencing issue now after it connected to my network it started to update and then restarted, now it will not come online and I cannot get it into recovery.

Setup proofs to be a real pain in the ass if you ask me. @Emile      a hardware recovery / reset button would be really usefull.

When I put Homey upside down to fast after powering on the led ling becomes purple (downloading update?) and stays that way until I pull the plug. If I wait a little bit longer the led ring keeps spinning orange and eventually will turn solid red.
  • Well since I don't really have a plan for the Homey anyway I'll just put it on Tweakers.net & Marktplaats. Two years ago I had a house where this could be useful but in my new house it's sort of worthless.
  • I have a KPN Arcadyan AP and it will not connect to that too. Tried Anather brand; still won't connect. 

Is there asnyone out there that received a Homey today and that was able to connect it to WiFi?

• @Voogeltje At first I had the same issue connecting to my 2,4 Ghz (non airport) network. Put the Homey upside down till it told me to go to setup.athom.com and I tried again and it suddenly did work. Perhaps you can try again?

I'm experiencing issue now after it connected to my network it started to update and then restarted, now it will not come online and I cannot get it into recovery.

Setup proofs to be a real pain in the ass if you ask me. @Emile      a hardware recovery / reset button would be really usefull.

When I put Homey upside down to fast after powering on the led ling becomes purple (downloading update?) and stays that way until I pull the plug. If I wait a little bit longer the led ring keeps spinning orange and eventually will turn solid red.
    If you put Homey upside down within 5 seconds after plugging it in, Homey will enter a special RMA recovery mode that requires external hardware in order to run. This mode is intended for restoration purposes when the entire storage of homey has been corrupted (Homey has been bricked). 

If your Homey is turning red after plugging it in, you have bricked your homey. This could be caused by unplugging Homey while it was installing an update. If this is the case, you'll need to contact support at support@athom.com for further assistance.
  • Well I have, as it downloaded the latest update. But after that it became useless :|
  • Mine also dont want to connect to wifi. Got a router with dd-wrt on it.
  • Dkruyt said:
    Mine also dont want to connect to wifi. Got a router with dd-wrt on it.
    dd-wrt router works here , R7000
  • Got it working on an other AP with same SSID and pass, I think Homey don't like some wifi settings...
  • I also had problems connecting, after disabling my 5Ghz network it connected without problems. After the first connection I enabled 5Ghz and homey stayed connected. I then disconnected the power from homey and let it do a clean boot and homey connected without a problem.

(Aruba Instant, iap-105's, single ssid for both bands, band steering prefer 5 Ghz, minimal transmit rate 24Mbps on both bands)
  • HrDolfsmaHrDolfsma Member
    edited April 2016
    I tried my normal WiFi environment and also a DLINK WiFi router with another SSID and pass. No succes....

Disabled band steering, beamforming & 5Ghz alltogether leaving 2.4Ghz only.  Didn't help....
  • Tried both my asus and netgear routers as well as the suggestion of DaneeDeKruyff; no success so far.  :(
  • YwaYwa Member
    Also doesn't work here. Cisco EPC3925 Ziggo/UPC modem/router with 2.4 GHz wifi. Tried changing the SSID to one without spaces, but that didn't change anything.
  • edited April 2016
    Cannot connect to wifi here either. 

EDIT:
    After a few more attempts, my homey got connected 
  • Ok, finally the WiFi worked. Well, kinda.

I set up a hotspot on my cellphone (Motorola Moto G 2015) with SSID homey, password 10 charactters lowecase, letters only. With that hotspot, setup worked.It is now updating (purple ring), so the result of it all is still unknown :-)

For troubleshooting purposes, the things i can think of are the following:

1. DNS. In my network, the central DNS server (dnsmasq) uses OpenDNS as the upstream DNS servers. I don't use the Ziggo DNS servers.

2. I use pihole for adblocking centrally on my network (dnsmasq-kind-of-hostsfile-setup)

3. I use a number of bloclists blocking access to known malware hosts, C*C servers, et cetera. If necessary, i can post the sources i se to create the central blocklist.

Wild guess: options 2 and 3 are specific to my situation. Which leaves the question: anyone else using OpenDNS and having issues setting up WiFi with the homey?

• YwaYwa Member
    edited April 2016
    I can confirm what HrDolfsma is saying. It does work when using an Android wifi hotspot. It's updating now. No idea if I can reconnect it to my regular wifi network once the installation is ready.

Edit: I use the DNS servers provided by my provider (UPC/Ziggo). So it's probably unrelated to this issue.
    Edit 2: Up and running on Android AP. Now looking for a way to switch to regular wifi network.
  • Same here. 
    Android AP is working, iOS not.
  • I re-did the entire setup procedure and connected it to the AP on the Android phone with all the AP's in the house switched off. The AP on the android phone was configures with the same SSID and password as my regular network.

After successful connection and setup, i shut down the AP on the android phone and powered up my regular network.

Then, i waited a while (5 minutes or so) to see if the homey would automatically detect that the network was gone so it could reconnect. It didn't. Finally, i unplugged the homey and plugged it back in. It boots up fine but as you may have guessed: the my.athom.com page  (opened in a new tab on Chrome) shows that my homey is offline.

What's interesting is that the 'old' tab  that previously showed my.athom.com now shows the following URL: http://192.168.43.181/manager/zones/

That ip i cannot ping from my home network. Which is normal, because it is a IETF-RESERVED-ADDRESS-BLOCK. 
    edited April 2016
    Ok, next guess.

Do any of you guys block access to DNS servers other than your own on your router/firewall? I do, and when disabling this firewall rule my homey suddenly connects. It appears the homey has a dns resolver hard-coded in the software somewhere. Or not, let's re-enable the rule and take a look at the logs :-) 
  • YwaYwa Member
    HrDolfsma said:
    Do any of you guys block access to DNS servers other than your own on your router/firewall? I do, and when disabling this firewall rule my homey suddenly connects. It appears the homey has a dns resolver hard-coded in the software somewhere. Or not, let's re-enable the rule and take a look at the logs :-) 
    No. Not blocked here.
    edited April 2016
    Yup, that's it. Homey needs to use the DNS servers of google to resolve something. I don't know what, but is does. If you block access tot the google dns servers, homey won't do a &%%$^^ thing. That's either a programming error of data theft :-)

See for yourself. The source IP 10.0.0.8 is the static IP of the homey:
    network{"lo":[{"address":"127.0.0.1","netmask":"255.0.0.0","family":"IPv4","mac":"00:00:00:00:00:00","internal":true},{"address":"::1","netmask":"ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff","family":"IPv6","mac":"00:00:00:00:00:00","scopeid":0,"internal":true}],"wlan0":[{"address":"10.0.0.8","netmask":"255.255.255.0","family":"IPv4","mac":"6c:ad:f8:1d:13:4f","internal":false},{"address":"fe80::6ead:f8ff:fe1d:134f","netmask":"ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff::","family":"IPv6","mac":"6c:ad:f8:1d:13:4f","scopeid":3,"internal":false}]}

)
  • YwaYwa Member
    HrDolfsma, I have a pretty straight forward network setup over here without any active blocking. I even use Google DNS on my own computer. Although that might fix your problem, it might not apply to all of us. At least not me.
    edited April 2016
    I will reset the homey and see if it will connect to wifi and register with the firewall rule for blocking google DNS disabled. Give me a minute....

Have reset the homey and re-ran the installation procedure. Both times it said it couldn't connect to the wifi network (voice), but in fact, it did. Both tomes the ring turned to 'rainbow' (which in my account is the setting) after waiting some more. And in the app, the homey turns up as online.

So basically, for users of homey the solution is roughly as follows, as it appears: If you block google DNS, unblock it for homey to work. If you don't actively block google DNS, wait a little while (max 5 minutes or so) before giving up after the devices tells you it cannot connect to your wifi network.

For the homey developers: please remove the hard-coded DNS servers from your source code and let the default DNS servers on the customer's network do the resolving. It's simply not done to force your device to use hardcoded DNS servers (or any hardcoded ip's for that matter), but you can certainly not force your customers to use Google's data-mining DNS servers. Privacy is a thing in 2016.... 

• HappyHappy Member
    At first Homey was also not able to connect to my EPC3925 Ziggo/UPC modem/router with 2.4 GHz wifi. Retried several times. Waiting each time for many minutes. And then all of a sudden homey was able to connect. Probably a coincidence, but homey was able to connect after I entered the password (in the input field) and then replaced it using a paste (Ctrl-V).
  • YwaYwa Member
    Managed to get it working. No idea what made it suddenly work.
This discussion has been closed.