This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Which USB cable?

Looking at one of the latest forum topics I can see Athom is still shipping Homey with the wrong usb cable, no problem ofcourse these things are fairly cheap on dx.com.

Which one do we need, so I can order already? (Note the difference in the actual metal connector)

http://www.dx.com/p/cy-u2-040-right-angle-mini-usb-male-to-usb-female-adapter-cable-for-car-mp3-player-black-10cm-222702#.VwX-VxJ97XQ

http://www.dx.com/p/usb-2-0-mini-5-pin-male-right-angle-to-female-extender-cable-black-150489#.VwX-URJ97XQ

Comments

• And is the end just a normal usb connector we can connect into pc/wall plug?
  • p0ntsp0nts Member
    oh, and what color is the latest shipped cable?
  • just wait and see the quality of the delivered cable.
    Most of the 1000+ delivered Homeys are connected with the stock cable and if your Homey stand on the side of a table/dresser then it shouldn't be any problem.

(DX is getting expensive....)
  • p0ntsp0nts Member
    MarcoF said:
    just wait and see the quality of the delivered cable.
    Most of the 1000+ delivered Homeys are connected with the stock cable and if your Homey stand on the side of a table/dresser then it shouldn't be any problem.

(DX is getting expensive....)
    Wont be on the side of the dresser for me :smile: , I don't mind buying a extra cable.

• p0ntsp0nts Member
    Could someone post a picture from the usb connector on the homey?
  • p0ntsp0nts Member
    edited April 2016

• I wonder what takes more time. Giving the supplied USB cable one good bend or buying a new one. Seriously I don't get the fuss about the cable. My Homey is also not on the side of a dresser but I don't have any problems with the cable either after bending it.
  • Bending it does indeed solve the problem, but you have to admit it's not the most professional solution... 
  • Is it still possible that someone takes a picture of it because I will build in a cable in my selfmade dressoir. I need also a much longer cable but with the picture I can order the right one 
  • p0nts said:
    Could someone post a picture from the usb connector on the homey?
    See page 2 of this thread:

https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/9279/

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    Please be aware that we don't advice using other cables. They might interfere with wireless communications, and fluctuate in how much power they can carry. Bending the shipped cable is the best solution for now. 
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited April 2016
    No need to use a different cable... just use a plug adapter:

http://www.allekabels.nl/usb-verloopstekker/7145/1063297/usb-mini-verloopstekker.html

@Emile - at least I assume that would be acceptable?

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    I really can't say without testing thoroughly! 
  • Buy a good quality shielded USB cable and it should work.
    I stopped buying cheap ass cables from Ali and Diel... all connectors break, the cables(pairs) are very thin with the result that my phone was charging very(!) slow....

Goedkoop == Duurkoop.....

• Here's a picture - but there really is no need for another cable, you bend it once (no need for brute force either) and it stays just fine. The hole is about 7mm deep and there's not much room on either side of the connector, so I can't tell you if those angled cables will work.

• p0ntsp0nts Member
    Here's a picture - but there really is no need for another cable, you bend it once (no need for brute force either) and it stays just fine. The hole is about 7mm deep and there's not much room on either side of the connector, so I can't tell you if those angled cables will work.

thx! I guess it indeed wont fit :)
  • Here's a picture - but there really is no need for another cable, you bend it once (no need for brute force either) and it stays just fine. The hole is about 7mm deep and there's not much room on either side of the connector, so I can't tell you if those angled cables will work.

Thank you but in my case I will need a cable of 3 meter to make it vanish :)
    I don't think the standard cable is that long, or am i wrong?
  • Eh no, the standard cable isn't that long :)

Just get a decent one then, but I'd go for a straight connector, I doubt there's enough room for the angle.
  • edited April 2016
    Hey peeps

I've received my Homey finally (Yey!), but unfortunately I'm not sure my USB cable is correct or not, or the adapter.

I'm assuming it is a powered mini-USB that connects to the euro 'Athom adapter' and the other hole is an audio line-in/out?  If that’s the case, then I have two issues:
    • Firstly my Homey will not stand up properly (See pic 1) - Edit: I can bend the USB cable enough to get it to stand normally... just.
    • Second, the USB euro adapter doesn’t seem to fit the euro-UK adapter provided (See pic 2).  It just falls back out because it’s not the right size or type.  I’m sure I have one of these round the house but it’s not what I was expecting.  
    I know the recent email said it wasn’t retail-ready, but I thought that was the software, not the hardware and cables.

Thanks

Pic 1

Pic 2
This discussion has been closed.