This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

SDK, when is it released ?

Hey Homey,

Is there any idea of when the SDK will be released for the kickstarter geeks and the "regulars"?

I'm so eager to start developing some application to get my little apartment to obey my every command :)

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    I just pushed the devkit to Github. It's suuuper alpha though!

https://github.com/athombv/devkit

Load this app into the editor: https://github.com/athombv/nl.athom.hello

I'm currently wrapping up the virtual homeys, so you can actually log in to the editor and develop on a 'homey' yourself.
  • Thanks Emile,

The installation process was quite easy but in your readme says "run nwbuild . in the directory of this repository" but that also build for osx32 which i see you have excluded in your build. I could see that you have made a custom build.js file and when i ran that i worked perfectly.

I have been playing around with the led ring and i really like the interface.

Looking forward to the virtual homeys :)
  • DenWDenW Member
    Hi,

I'm fairly new to building a development kit and i'm having trouble getting it to work. What I did (on Win7 and Win12):
    - Installed node.js
    - Installed nw.js
    - Followed Build Instructions as described in https://github.com/athombv/devkit
    - Devkit.exe started OK.
    - Downloaded https://github.com/athombv/nl.athom.hello as a ZIP and placed it in DevKit folder
    - Started Devkit.exe with path to unpacked demo app

I now get an error saying DevKit is looking for a package but can't find it.. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
    DenW
    Which package?
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2015
    I'm also trying to build the devkit on Windows 8.1.

The kit is building now and hopefully it will work :)

[edit: 11:56]
    i get allot of "errors":
    file:///C:/Users/m/AppData/Local/Temp/nw12104_14341/www/bower_components/jshint/dist/jshint.js Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
    file:///C:/Users/m/AppData/Local/Temp/nw12104_14341/www/bower_components/angular-hotkeys/build/hotkeys.js Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
    file:///C:/Users/m/AppData/Local/Temp/nw12104_14341/www/bower_components/ng-tags-input/ng-tags-input.js Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
    file:///C:/Users/m/AppData/Local/Temp/nw12104_14341/www/bower_components/angular-sanitize/angular-sanitize.js Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
    file:///C:/Users/m/AppData/Local/Temp/nw12104_14341/www/bower_components/showdown/compressed/Showdown.js Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
    file:///C:/Users/m/AppData/Local/Temp/nw12104_14341/www/bower_components/angular-markdown-directive/markdown.js Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
    module.js:329 Uncaught Error: Cannot find module 'tmp'
    module.js:329 Uncaught Error: Cannot find module 'open'
    module.js:329 Uncaught Error: Cannot find module 'fs-extra'
    angular.js:4138 Uncaught Error: [$injector:modulerr] Failed to instantiate module devkit due to:
    Error: [$injector:modulerr] Failed to instantiate module ngTagsInput due to:
    Error: [$injector:nomod] Module 'ngTagsInput' is not available! You either misspelled the module name or forgot to load it. If registering a module ensure that you specify the dependencies as the second argument.
    http://errors.angularjs.org/1.3.15/$injector/nomod?p0=ngTagsInput
    (file:///C:/Users/m/AppData/Local/Temp/nw12104_14341/www/bower_components/angular/angular.js:4099:5)
    http://errors.angularjs.org/1.3.15/$injector/modulerr?p0=ngTagsInput&p1=Err…2Fnw12104_14341%2Fwww%2Fbower_components%2Fangular%2Fangular.js%3A4099%3A5)
    at file:///C:/Users/m/AppData/Local/Temp/nw12104_14341/www/bower_components/angular/angular.js:63:12
    ....(file:///C:/Users/m/AppData/Local/Temp/nw12104_14341/www/bower_components/angular/angular.js:1473:12)
    http://errors.angularjs.org/1.3.15/$injector/modulerr?p0=devkit&p1=Error:…Fnw12104_14341%2Fwww%2Fbower_components%2Fangular%2Fangular.js%3A1473%3A12)

-----------------------------------
    The following dir. exists;
    C:/Users/m/AppData/Local/Temp/nw12104_14341/www/bower_components/

But it only contains the dirs from GIT. Should Bower download these files or ... ?

i tried to run the following;
    m@F ~/Downloads/devkit/build (master)
    $ devkit/win32/devkit.exe nl.athom.hello/app.js

$ devkit/win32/devkit.exe nl.athom.hello/
    Did you do a 'bower install' in the www directory?
  • DenWDenW Member

I thought the demo app was the package. What package should i specify?

I did do the bower install in the www-directory, however using the command:
    npm install -g bower (doing this from memory, not sure about the -g option.. )

Thanks!

-g installs bower globally, so you can use it from anywhere (which is what you want if you're using it as a command-line tool)

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2015

i believe i did an Bower install on WWW but not sure if it was WWW (maybe in a lower dir)

Just did an Bower install on WWW and its now rebuilding

[edit 0]
    The build is done and ended with:

Zipping build/devkit/osx32/devkit.app/Contents/Frameworks/nwjs Framework.framewo
    rk/nwjs Framework
    { [Error: ENOENT, no such file or directory 'c:\Users\m\Downloads\devkit\build\d
    evkit\osx32\devkit.app\Contents\Resources\app.nw\README.md']
    errno: -4058,
    code: 'ENOENT',
    path: 'c:\Users\m\Downloads\devkit\build\devkit\osx32\devkit.app\Cont
    ents\Resources\app.nw\README.md',
    syscall: 'lstat' }

[edit 1]

I tried to run the devkit and start the package;

$ devkit/win32/devkit.exe  ../

end got these error:

file:///C:/Users/m/Downloads/devkit/www/bower_components/jshint/dist/jshint.js Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
    module.js:329 Uncaught Error: Cannot find module 'tmp'
    module.js:329 Uncaught Error: Cannot find module 'open'
    module.js:329 Uncaught Error: Cannot find module 'fs-extra'
    angular.js:11655 TypeError: undefined is not a function
    at new (devkit.devkitCtrl.js:167)
    at Object.invoke (angular.js:4203)
    at extend.instance (angular.js:8493)
    at angular.js:7739
    at forEach (angular.js:331)
    at nodeLinkFn (angular.js:7738)
    at compositeLinkFn (angular.js:7117)
    at publicLinkFn (angular.js:6996)
    at angular.js:1457
    at Scope.$eval (angular.js:14466)

The WWW/bower_components dir contains much more dirs and the "jshint" is not there.

found jshints.js in the JS dir

[edit 2]
    Looks like my Webkit install is missing some modules and i 'm trying to manually install them.
    I have no idea if this is OK and going to work:

$ npm install nw fs-extra
    -
    nw@0.12.1 postinstall c:\Users\m\Downloads\devkit\node_modules\nw
    node scripts/install.js

[edit 3]
    Looks like an windows install needs extra modules; fs-extra, tmp, open, trash, request,archiver

[edit 4]
    moved jshint.js from www/js to /www/bower_components/jshint/jshint.js
    The error is now gone.

• DenWDenW Member

Emile said:
    -g installs bower globally, so you can use it from anywhere (which is what you want if you're using it as a command-line tool)

I know (after reading the documentation on node.js and nw.js yesterday).
    How do i specify a package to load en which package should that be?

Thanks!

• DenWDenW Member

In addition: after building, DevKit.exe starts in Chrome just fine displaying either nw.js or node.js with some version numbers. As i am unfarmiliar with the node\nw system I can not figure out what to do next or where I went wrong..

Thanks very much for your help..

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2015

[edit 5]
    After installing above modules, i get this error:

TypeError: undefined is not a function
    at new (devkit.devkitCtrl.js:167)
    at Object.invoke (angular.js:4203)
    at extend.instance (angular.js:8493)
    at angular.js:7739
    at forEach (angular.js:331)
    at nodeLinkFn (angular.js:7738)
    at compositeLinkFn (angular.js:7117)
    at publicLinkFn (angular.js:6996)
    at angular.js:1457
    at Scope.$eval (angular.js:14466)angular.js:11655 (anonymous function)

[edit 6]
    I'm stuck now...

• Is the devkit only working on osX?

Ah, yeah, that's a specific OSX call. For now it's only working on OSX, but that won't be the case when it's ready for you guys :)

We're currently collaborating with our friends of printr (we're sharing the office) as they need an editor as well. So I've open sourced it, and we're working on it together. I expect the editor to be able to use within one or two weeks.

Yesterday night I also finished the Cloud-to-Homey communication, so you can access your Homey from anywhere in the world. So I expect to have the virtual Homeys online within 2 weeks as well! :) And then update the docs...

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2015

So the devkit (for now) useless for non OSX users and we need to wait a few weeks?

if so, maybe its an idea to add that to the README.md :-)

Yeah. However, for OSX users it's kinda useless as well, because you need an Athom account to connect to a Homey (which we'll hand out when the virtual Homeys are online) ;)

• ok.

"rm -rf devkit"

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited May 2015

Since this is the only topic where you talked about the virtual Homeys already, I'll drop my question here :)

To get access to a virtual Homey, we have to create an account (done) and fill out a form.
    I'm not really a programmer/devoloper, but I love tinkering.
    When I fill out the form and tell you my programming-skills are very (very!) limited, will that have a negative impact on me getting a virtual Homey? Otherwise, I'm just going to lie about it! :P

edited May 2015

Haha no, everyone with a geek edition will get access :)

• jovinkjovink Member

unfortunately I'm not a geek so I can't try,
    but is there someone who's make a app for the Smarter Ikettle?

• Don't use a kettle myself but there are multiple libraries for the iKettle: https://libraries.io/npm/ikettle.js/1.0.2. So should be a quick fix to make an app for it.

We've actually tried to get a free kettle, but couldn't get in contact with them! :'(

• jovinkjovink Member

You can better ask for the smarter coffee machine. I think more people want a coffee machine

We asked for both, of course ;p Connect all the things!

• MarcoFMarcoF Member

Whats the status of the SDK and when will it released?

The current status is that I'm working on it in the train right now. We had some issues with Windows, so I hope to release it before the weekend!

• MarcoFMarcoF Member

Who great news!!

• alexis101alexis101 Member
    edited May 2015

If I pre-ordered the geek edition do I get access to these virtual homeys? Or only kickstarter backers will? Because right now I can't read the kickstarter update about it :(

• MarcoFMarcoF Member

How often do you guys update the sdk win/mac download files? After every git commit or once a day/week/etc?

For now I don't really have a specific time interval. I'll probably update the devkit this week again, made a lot of improvements yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.