This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

CrunchCrunch Member
edited February 2016 in Apps
So the E-mail app just became available in the app store!

What does it do?
You can receive e-mail in Homey, based on IMAP accounts. It adds a trigger card containing the account, from address, subject and message.

What cannot be done?
- Sending e-mail, it's on the list;
- Gmail 2 step verification, it's also on the list;

Todo
- Custom condition cards;

App store link
https://apps.athom.com/app/homey.email

Github
https://github.com/HiemstraJ/homey.email

Please test it, add multiple accounts, report any bugs on GIT .Submit any feature requests.

I have tested Outlook.com and Gmail.com accounts.

Comments

• Great! Thanks.
  • Nice, Thanks!!! 
    Basic test works! (imap.ziggo.nl) easy as 1  2 3 
  • thanks! that's what i'm looking for!
  • Nice to see the first email app 
  • How can I see that e-mail is received, other than via a flow? I get the impression the app does not connect to my mail server, but haven't got a clue on how to debug this...
  • Nice responses all :)

How can I see that e-mail is received, other than via a flow? I get the impression the app does not connect to my mail server, but haven't got a clue on how to debug this...
    You can't via the app store, you would have to use the command line --run command. Next version will provide some sort of logging capabilities.
  • Thanks! I was just looking at a way to tell Homey that I'm going away for the weekend, so don't bother turning the lights on etc.

This will do nicely!
  • Crunch said:
    Nice responses all :)

How can I see that e-mail is received, other than via a flow? I get the impression the app does not connect to my mail server, but haven't got a clue on how to debug this...
    You can't via the app store, you would have to use the command line --run command. Next version will provide some sort of logging capabilities.
    Okay, so that would mean uninstalling the app, downloading sources from github and running via command line? Will do.
  • Crunch said:
    Nice responses all :)

Okay, so that would mean uninstalling the app, downloading sources from github and running via command line? Will do.
    Exactly. Currently the master branch contains some updated code already for the next release, but that is improve error handling. Sou it would benefit you :)
  • That helped; thanks. How come this condition won't work:

• It works great here, although it seems that if it you let the 'body' be spoken by the voice command, it will speak -at least part of- the html inside an email message.

E.g. an email sent by action@ifttt.com  contains some html tags to promote IFTTT.   that will result in a _long_ conversation with Homey ;-)
  • That helped; thanks. How come this condition won't work:

It should work. That tag returns the value you use in the username section on settings page. Is info in there?

aloft said:
    It works great here, although it seems that if it you let the 'body' be spoken by the voice command, it will speak -at least part of- the html inside an email message.

E.g. an email sent by action@ifttt.com  contains some html tags to promote IFTTT.   that will result in a _long_ conversation with Homey ;-)
    Can you DM me an example mail, because if correct it should provide the plain text contents. 
  • Crunch said:
    That helped; thanks. How come this condition won't work:

It should work. That tag returns the value you use in the username section on settings page. Is info in there?
    Well, it does not. Mind the exclamation mark top left.
  • CrunchCrunch Member
    edited February 2016
    Crunch said:
    That helped; thanks. How come this condition won't work:

Well, it does not. Mind the exclamation mark top left.
    The tag accounts contains the following example text:
    "en": "myemailadress@example.com",
    "nl": "mijnemailadres@voorbeeld.nl"

If you use a text from that it will work. So I presume it is only a test bug, if you save and run it, does it then work?

1.PNG 28.6K
  • I think it's similar to this github issue:
    https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/49
  • Crunch said:
    I think it's similar to this github issue:
    https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/49
    That's correct. If I enter myemailadress the test flow works. Flow never triggers, though, so will do some further experimenting/debugging.
  • Ah, it's not me then... my flow never triggers either on  two mail-accounts. One with TLS (google) and one without...
  • Ah, it's not me then... my flow never triggers either on  two mail-accounts. One with TLS (google) and one without...
    That sounds very familiar. With only one account and no condition it works.
  • I just pushed a update to github and requested a new submit on the app store.

Changed the underlying IMAP library and updated the code with logging, also fixed bugs that emails from multiple accounts wouldn't receive or only 1 would trigger.

Could you guys please check when it becomes available? :)
  • The update is available on the app store.
  • Sometimes when i save my mailsettings the account disappears.
    After a remove and new install the account is visible again.
    Any thoughts on this?

I'm using a mailbox created with my own webspace/url with running direct admin.
  • Sometimes when i save my mailsettings the account disappears.
    After a remove and new install the account is visible again.
    Any thoughts on this?

I'm using a mailbox created with my own webspace/url with running direct admin.
    Does the settings page work at all then? (log section) Running latest version?
  • edited February 2016
    Yes, settings can be entered and stored, logging section works without problems.
    Running 0.0.2. 

Narrowed it down a bit:

I see 2 lines in the logging:
    Started listener for email for account: xxx@xxx.nl at server mail.antagonist.nl
    Started listening for email for account: xxx@xxx.nl at server mail.antagonist.nl

Then I send an email with subject 'test' en body 'test' to my mailaccount and refresh the log page and then all is gone.
  • Yes, settings can be entered and stored, logging section works without problems.
    Running 0.0.2. 

Narrowed it down a bit:

I see 2 lines in the logging:
    Started listener for email for account: xxx@xxx.nl at server mail.antagonist.nl
    Started listening for email for account: xxx@xxx.nl at server mail.antagonist.nl

Then I send an email with subject 'test' en body 'test' to my mailaccount and refresh the log page and then all is gone.
    Will look into it!
  • Crunch said:

Will look into it!
    Thanks!

• After Changing the language of homy i lost my email accounts?
  • TarikFaik said:
    After Changing the language of homy i lost my email accounts?
    That should not happen, did it also happen for other apps?
  • Crunch said:
    TarikFaik said:
    After Changing the language of homy i lost my email accounts?
    That should not happen, did it also happen for other apps?
    No Only with the mail app

• edited February 2016
    Hi - nice app, works really well! However, some time after receiving the last email, the listener disconnects. Is that supposed to happen?

The log shows:

Today, 15:00 Received email triggering flow with :: <stuff>
    Today, 15:53 Disconnected listener for email account: myaccount@outlook.com

(On a side note, how do I copy from the log?)
  • CrunchCrunch Member
    edited March 2016
    I just pushed 0.0.3 to the app store with following changes:
    - If connection is disconnected, listener will now reconnect
    - The log entries can be selected now

Still on the todo list:
    - Redesign of settings page;
    - Sending email;
    - Introduce summary message, so only a short text will be spoken by homey.

I'm a little short on time, updates will come!