This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Version 0.8.18

@Emile : any chance we see the new version today before more geeks starting to play with it? I know you solved a few bugs ;-) 

Comments

• since we are asking for 8.18 release date. Could you provide us with the improved features in v8.18. And perhaps the planned roadmap for future releases?
  • Big jump from 0.8.x to 8.x :D
  • The decisions to bring an update out for Homey is totally up to Athom.
    They now when it is finished to be released safely.  

• You know I happen to be working for an IT company and Scrum is very popular these days. You work in sprints and you deliver not when you think 'it' is finished but the team including the Product Owner (customer?) decides what to produce during the sprint. The team gets the job done during the sprint and then delivers the software as a release (normally from Development to Test, Acceptance and to Production). Everybody knows what to expect and when. In fact we already know WHEN we deliver but not WHAT for the rest of the year. So, it would be nice if Athom would deliver a release at fixed intervals and of course when there are EBFs (Emergeny Bug Fixes) we can have an intermediate release. It should not happen very often though. Believe me, customers are very happy with this way of working. Perhaps this is a little difficult at the moment but should be considered in the future.
  • Nah, let's go continuous delivery for a while ;-) Then go to 2-week sprints or so...
  • You know I happen to be working for an IT company and Scrum is very popular these days. You work in sprints and you deliver not when you think 'it' is finished but the team including the Product Owner (customer?) decides what to produce during the sprint. The team gets the job done during the sprint and then delivers the software as a release (normally from Development to Test, Acceptance and to Production). Everybody knows what to expect and when. In fact we already know WHEN we deliver but not WHAT for the rest of the year. So, it would be nice if Athom would deliver a release at fixed intervals and of course when there are EBFs (Emergeny Bug Fixes) we can have an intermediate release. It should not happen very often though. Believe me, customers are very happy with this way of working. Perhaps this is a little difficult at the moment but should be considered in the future.
    That's what Athom does. First-batch-backers got 2 updates / day, fixed interval ALMOST. And now it's set to 1x/week. But a little flexibility in features, and delaying/pulling forward of releases is not bad. Do you think they don't have their releases managed correctly at the moment? :smile: 
  • tunftunf Member
    edited February 2016
    think 0.8.18 is almost ready to launch if i read all topics.
  • @tunf i don't think its out yet,  just that issue is fixed in 0.8.18
  • Guys, give them some slack. They're obviously working very hard and they are releasing new updates very quickly. Definately continuous delivery at this moment ;). I'd expect .18 coming out within days.
  • PimBliek said:
    Guys, give them some slack. They're obviously working very hard and they are releasing new updates very quickly. Definately continuous delivery at this moment ;). I'd expect .18 coming out within days.
    I don't disagree they are working very hard, but a release once a week is not very quickly and not continously. But it's the smart thing to do, a release should be tested before it's being released. We don't want more bricks. :)
  • More important would be having frequent retrospectives so they are continuously improving their process ... :wink: 
  • @Vincent : 0.8.17 was released Wednesday evening, now it's Saturday morning. So we still have to wait five days if it's a weekly update-cycle ;)
  • A few notes, because you're so early to receive your Homey:

What to expect to work, and what not
    The Homey you're receiving is in an early bèta state. This means that bugs will be found. Probably even a lot. But hey, you knew that when you'd backed us, right? ;-)

Please report all (non-major, as described above) software bugs to our issue tracker: https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues. This keeps it clear for others so we can focus on solving them easily. I hope to ship at least a few updates per week, so keep the auto-updater on ;-).

• Aiiiii, I did not see the hope  ;).  
  • There is not only confusion in the homey software but also on the forum,  some backers give responses as if there role is an employee of athom.  
  • Nattelip said:
    There is not only confusion in the homey software but also on the forum,  some backers give responses as if there role is an employee of athom.  
    Good observation: People from Athom have 'Athom'  after their name. But yes, they might have an Athom logo as avatar, I think that would clear up things for a large group of people.
  • PimBliek said:
    Guys, give them some slack. They're obviously working very hard and they are releasing new updates very quickly. Definately continuous delivery at this moment ;). I'd expect .18 coming out within days.
    I know they will come thru :wink:

I programmed (and still am programming) an automated playlist creator for my internet-radio station adding newly and up to date Meta-Data in the progress. In short: the playlist is generated upon that data, making it a highly flexible list according to mood, weather, etc etc.

Anyhow.... Although it almost worked from the start, by trying to improve it, it generated bugs and odd behaviour. All due to conflicting codes, Those conflicts were mostly showing when running the scripts/programm, and don't appear as you 'debug'. So the problem only shows after a release, alas.

It also seems to be the case with Homey. A lot of the bugs mentioned were working fine a week a go,( except the IR, that seems to be a work in progress form the start :wink: ). I think they took a wrong turn in 0.8.15. My guess some new code is conflicting with an existing one.

Okay i must admit i was really p*ssed of when the 0.8.15 totally bricked my Homey, after working fine all these weeks. I think I totally forgot it was a Beta poduct as it was performing so well. The core-programming is rock solid! So 0.8.18 will come when it comes. It's like a brick, or not to brick consideration, and personally i favour the last option anytime! :smiley:

You go guys! @Athom ;

• It looks like we have got a new update. Without a new version number.
    Yesterday there was now flow possible with Somfy and now it can.

• jovink said:
    It looks like we have got a new update. Without a new version number.
    Yesterday there was now flow possible with Somfy and now it can.

Apps (like Somfy) have versioning numbers of themselves :smile: 
  • Oke so thats's it! I hope they are do the seem thing with Klik aan klik uit. 
    It is not possible to make a flow with the kaku Blinds. 
  • Is this version already released?
  • 0.8.18 is currently being tested internally. If no blocking issues are found, it will hit the beta channel somewhere this week and the stable channel next week.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited February 2016
    Ah ok, because i see ticket being closed with "fixed in 0.8.19" and people need to wait probably 3-4 week before that version will be released in Stable.

But great to see you guys are already working on a new release!
  • MarkVanWindenMarkVanWinden Member
    edited February 2016
    Hope the 8.18 fixes the KAKU issues, homey is sitting here useless.
    Will check the beta section in updates. lets see what happens  in the comming week.  :)
  • 0.8.18 is currently being tested internally. If no blocking issues are found, it will hit the beta channel somewhere this week and the stable channel next week.
    Seriously, is there someone not on the experimental channel? Who doesn't want this update as soon as possible? :)

• Yep, I am on the Experimental channel until I find the hidden import/export or Backup/restore for Devices and Flows ;-) 
  • Vincent said:
    0.8.18 is currently being tested internally. If no blocking issues are found, it will hit the beta channel somewhere this week and the stable channel next week.
    Seriously, is there someone not on the experimental channel? Who doesn't want this update as soon as possible? :)

To be fair, since too much isn't working anyway, they might be best to fast track 0.8.18 for all :)

Many have been waiting a while now. I stopped doing anything at the moment since a lot is not working and is solved in the .18 version. Why put it on the beta channel first, you can't break anything by moving it to the stable channel right away. It is not working now. Worst thing that can happen that it will not work after the update ;-)

Who is not on the experimental/beta channnel? I am, because there is no way going back to the normal channel without resetting the Homey. I don't like doing that.  Maybe it is not a problem now but once we can actually do something with the Homey it is a no go for many.

I would rather see more frequent updates (like promised by Athom!), skipping the beta channel. Smaller incrementals maks it easier to fix any issues caused by the new release. It also keeps your geeks happier. 
  • DD Member
    JohanKuster said:
    Worst thing that can happen that it will not work after the update ;-)
    Nope, not the worst thing that could happen. Much worse things could potentially happen, so good to see they're not just putting out updates for the sake of it.

I would rather see more frequent updates (like promised by Athom!), skipping the beta channel.
    Where did they promise this?

• I would rather see more frequent updates (like promised by Athom!), skipping the beta channel. Smaller incrementals maks it easier to fix any issues caused by the new release. It also keeps your geeks happier. 
    Homey arrived one week ago and we had one update :)
This discussion has been closed.