This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Project Update #28 - Thanks for the update guys!

2»

Comments

• I think they're doing a fine job. There will always be things to improve. I don't know of any company who is more active in communication then Athom. 

Also, I can confirm that I experience only minor issues (mostly UI related). All my existing devices connected seamlessly with Homey with the exception of the doorbell and temperature sensors (which I knew were not supported yet). 

Of course there is room to grow, but what do you expect from a kickstarter company?
  • Emile said:
    Rebtor said:
    I'm very disappointed with this update tbh.

At that time the delivery date was begin summer 2015  and all Geek editions (including the pre-order geeks) would be send first.
    We never communicated this. Kickstarter backers always had priority over pre-orders, because that would be most fair.

About not communicating a timeline.. well, we don't communicate that because we just don't know. Before this, were complaints were about us missing deadlines. Now we say honestly we don't know, and it's not appreciated again. What else can we say? :)
    +1
  • Fire69 said:
    Can you show me where they said 'we promise...'? 
    I'm going to looks like a promis

Ai ai yes I am sorry Hope to ship several updates is not the same as I promis no update the next 2 weeks  :D

Not fair! @Emile found a major bug in the speech-output and reported it. Trust me, you don't want to brick your homey! So let them work on it , and wait patiently.  500 bricked Homey's will get us nowhere.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited February 2016
    Not fair!

He did a complete(!) rewrite of the speech engine AND where did he said this bug would brick devices?

Why a rewrite?? Fix the bugs that can be fixed without a rewrite so the update can be shipped ASAP. Also communicate that you work on a rewrite in a separate branch which will fix more problems without an big delay on the other fixes.

I also think a lot of people would accept bugs(10-20) in the speech engine if .18 would be shipped faster with 100+  bug fixes.

Just my 0,01 cent
  • I would accept it without voice at all! :wink: 
  • kriebelkouskriebelkous Member
    edited February 2016
    Emile said:
    Rebtor said:

At that time the delivery date was begin summer 2015  and all Geek editions (including the pre-order geeks) would be send first.
    We never communicated this. Kickstarter backers always had priority over pre-orders, because that would be most fair.

About not communicating a timeline.. well, we don't communicate that because we just don't know. Before this, were complaints were about us missing deadlines. Now we say honestly we don't know, and it's not appreciated again. What else can we say?

Consumers never like to wait. But most can bare waiting if they know what they are waiting for.

I really like the project. This is my first time ordering something that was nothing more than an prototyped idea when i ordered. With all that has happened i never for a second thought about cancelling or questioned if the product would deliver the high hopes i have for it. In the last 2 weeks something changed. I have played with the thought of cancelling. I didn't and i (most probably) wont but the thought did occur for a few seconds.

To be honest i don't know if it comes down to communication at all. Maybe there is so much scattered info on the forum at this time that some people miss some info. Maybe the posts on the forum are simply getting more negative and it is dragging me with it. It could just simply be me. But something changed.

When i received the email with the update it did help. I (and i might add a cautious "we" here although i hate using it) like to be informed. I like to know all about the trouble you are having and how you guys are converting that trouble in to awesomeness. I loved how actively i got informed about non shiny feet and all that stuff and reading about your hunt for absolute perfection. But those days kind of seem to be over, the feeling has been muted somehow..
    Maybe i just like the first proces of developing a new product better than proces it is in right now (and maybe you guys do to).
    In the update you state that you can barely keep up with the forum. I really do think that my feelings are somehow a result of that.

Bringing me to my opening line.

On the forum are your costumers, this is your fan-base and these are your missionary's preaching the word of the Athom. There is no way anyone can give a solid advice on how to run your business sitting behind a computer at home. But maybe the full focus on the bugs, updates, and probably allot of commercial stuff going on in the Athom building (the church of Athom?) has taken its toll on the representation of Athom on the forum with the costumers.
    Although i can understand this (if this is the case). I do see how getting your first product as perfect as possible as fast as possible is probably vital and that is simply not possible to be at 2 places a once. I did however experienced a different vibe and feeling than i did some time ago.

In the end this is just me giving my honest feedback, i could be the only one but i do believe that just complaining without giving feedback is as useful to you guys as:

KUTGW and don't forget to take some time off now and again. 

:heart: 

p.s. It might be an idea to setup a place on the forum where we can talk homey "related" but offtopic stuff. Like a cafe. 

(edited some sentences and allot of typo's) 

• DenWDenW Member
    edited February 2016
    Emile said:
    Rebtor said:

About not communicating a timeline.. well, we don't communicate that because we just don't know. Before this, were complaints were about us missing deadlines. Now we say honestly we don't know, and it's not appreciated again. What else can we say?

To be honest i don't know if it comes down to communication at all. Maybe there is so much scattered info on the forum at this time that some people miss some info. Maybe the posts on the forum are simply getting more negative and it is dragging me with it. It could just simply be me. But something changed.

When i received the email with the update it did help. I (and i might add a cautious "we" here although i hate using it) like to be informed. I like to know all about the trouble you are having and how you guys are converting that trouble in to awesomeness. I loved how actively i got informed about non shiny feet and all that stuff and reading about your hunt for absolute perfection. But those days kind of seem to be over, the feeling has been muted somehow..
    Maybe i just like the first proces of developing a new product better than proces it is in right now (and maybe you guys do to).
    In the update you state that you can barely keep up with the forum. I really do think that my feelings are somehow a result of that.

Bringing me to my opening line.

On the forum are your costumers, this is your fan-base and these are your missionary's preaching the word of the Athom. There is no way anyone can give a solid advice on how to run your business sitting behind a computer at home. But maybe the full focus on the bugs, updates, and probably allot of commercial stuff going on in the Athom building (the church of Athom?) has taken its toll on the representation of Athom on the forum with the costumers.
    Although i can understand this (if this is the case). I do see how getting your first product as perfect as possible as fast as possible is probably vital and that is simply not possible to be at 2 places a once. I did however experienced a different vibe and feeling than i did some time ago.

I can relate to this. For me, the vibe on this forum lately has been much too negative and i noticed myself getting frustrated when visiting the forum or staying away altogether, whilst still being enthusiastic about Homey itself and the prospect of having one at home. And if I feel like that about the forum, I can only imagine what the hard working guys and girls at Athom must be feeling like. It's their product, their baby.

Emile's timeline comment quoted in the post above is an example of this. As I said in another post every little piece of information is dissected and even questioned, it never seems to be (good) enough. And while this certainly isn't true for all here, there is a limit and people on this forum have a responsibility too. The Dutch language is infested with sayings, and one of them translates to something like "The best captains are ashore..". 
    That doesn't mean people can't voice an opinion or criticize something. Athom values your input, as do we all. Just do it in a positive way and don't expect Athom to respond to your every wish and whim. 

Athom's communication isn't that bad really, I've seen far worse. I do think a short, regular (as in a set day in the week) status update on this forum goes a long way, especially when a problem has been communicated (which peaks people's interest). But I also feel this is up to Athom and can understand that in stressful times an update-post is postponed a bit. 

When pre-ordering Homey I was aware that this product might take some time to mature. That there would be bumps on the road. My faith in Athom as a company and Homey as a product remain strong, and I fully stand by my previous post which I hope helped some fellow Homeys see things in a different way. At the very least I hope it serves as a counterweight.

Is there a possibility I (and others) will be disappointed? Sure, but that's the risk I took when pre-ordering. For now, I see no reason to doubt Athom's intention and ability to deliver a high quality product that blows any competition out of the water. If not on "release date"  then a short time thereafter (in some respects it does already!). And with every video I see of Homey doing something new the realization sinks in that this is becoming a reality and it is one hell of a product..
    edited February 2016
    My post above is in no way ment to be negative. If it comes accros as such i failed in communicating my message. It is however a subject that has floated the forum from day 0.. if you look back to older topics you can find allot of topics about communication. Untill a few weeks ago i did'nt get the complaints about the communication at all. I thought it was (more than) good in frequenty and content. I was on the forum multiple times a day and there were days i just left the tab open the whole day. But somewere something changed.. I truly believe that Homey is awesome and that it will become more awesome while the days pass.. looking at the ammount of apps being developed already is just a great development for all of us.. thank you all developers! 

Maybe we just got pampered to much with all the detailed info at the start. Maybe the negative comments are starting to rub off on me. Maybe it isnt the frequenty of the updates but the content of it. Maybe i am just a negative nancy. I really cant point at the "issue". 

Again.. this is just me trying to describe that the rollercoaster ride is somehow slowing down (for me).. But i still firmly believe it is just going uphill towards the next series of loops and fun! 
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited February 2016
    +1 and :heart: to all!

Silence can be very effective :smile: 

• It is also for me the case not to be negative. That the community makes a lot new app's give me hope but for the moment I don't needed those app's.
    Making simple flow for my KaKu stuff is what I like to make and using my Sony AV Receiver IR remote.

Sadly that can not be done since I have my Homey in January. Those minor issues together are for me still a big problem.
    To protect me to become negative, I tell myself that I have to wait to version 0.8.20 to use Homey for what I like to do.
                                                                                           3
  • MarcoF said:
    +1 and :heart: to all!

Silence can be very effective :smile: 

Please explain.. are you telling me to shut up (would not offend me. I am a grown up :smile: )? Was this sarcasm somehow? There are a few ways i could interpert that comment. 
  • Oh and the :heart: thing.. 
  • Maybe it's a matter of how close they are? People who were in the kickstarter campaign from the start have been waiting for ~20 months now for the product. At the start, waiting was not a problem, because they knew the product was still far away... but now that the hardware is basically finished, the first Homeys have been delivered, and we start to see more and more of what it actually looks like, people also find it harder to remain patient. At the start of the project, one month was nothing... it wasn't a big deal to wait a month without an update, because you didn't expect the product to be ready anyway. Now, people are getting nervous about "their Homey", and even a couple of days without an update appears to be a very big deal. Imho it would be a good compromise if those people can show a bit more patience, and Athom can give us 1 status update every week, at a fixed time of the week (say, every Friday afternoon). I'm sure that knowing there is a status update coming at the end of the week, would ease the minds of quite a few people here on the forum.

On the other hand, there's the people who already have their Homey and are waiting for the next release update... those people would love to continue testing and setting up their Homeys, but often can't do that because the fixes they need are in the next update. Frankly, I think this group is the more important one. These people find the bugs in (and develop the apps for) the functionality that the next batch will need. Keeping them updated, and providing regular updates to them, should be the highest priority. I'm not sure if Athom's current method of putting 100+ fixes in one big update, is the best approach... personally I would have chosen more regular (and smaller) updates. First, because those are easier to test and manage, and second, because then at least some of the geeks get the fixes they need earlier, so they can continue testing/developing, and they can already provide feedback on those fixes. And I guess that was also what people were expecting based on the comments from Emile in the previous kickstarter update. But as I don't know the reasons for this decision, I can't judge...

Now I'll retreat to waiting mode again...
  • @kriebelkous ;
    Did i quote or mention you in my post?
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    About reading about issues: the goal with our blog is to have a post every two weeks with in-depth information about the technology, and unavoidable the issues we encounter! (It's gonna be awesome).
  • That would be great. I hope that's a schedule that you can stick to  ;)
    edited February 2016
    Emile said:
    About reading about issues: the goal with our blog is to have a post every two weeks with in-depth information about the technology, and unavoidable the issues we encounter! (It's gonna be awesome).
    Looking forward to it ! 

@marcof
    Nope.. but i still honestly do not what you tried say.. not trying to start any kind of argument but i simply dont understand. (Ik begreep je ff niet niets meer, niets minder. Misschien haalde ik even een verkeerd voorbeeld aan. Ik bedoel er niets mee. Nu ik teruglees kan ik inzien dat je er iets anders uithaalt)
  • Emile said:
    Nice one @Emile and @Athom! Might be worth putting an official announcement somewhere linking people to it? If you're ready for it that is.

• luccie_007luccie_007 Member
    edited February 2016
    @Emile  maybe also add the firmware.athom.com page to the links on your blog.
This discussion has been closed.