The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.
This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
My precious! [updated 2016-03-08]
In general, I love Homey! It's a really great device with huge potential BUT it's not there yet. As mentioned by others already, a lot of it's functionality needs further development. Some functionality is more in alpha state then in beta state at this moment and might not even work. Luckly this all seems software related and just needs (a lot of) time, effort and some love. The flow editor is magnificent and sets it apart if you ask me. Having said that, Athom has a lot to learn as a company, specifically concerning communication. As most of us, I'm also wondering what the timeline looks like and just cant understand why Athom is not open and transparant about it. They need these first batch of enthousiast to make the product better.
Some of my findings up until now [updated 2016-03-08]:
Homey looks awesome, the LED ring is a work of art. The holes below the LED ring are hardly visible in every day use. There is nothing wrong with the USB cable, yes it needs a one time bending to avoid tipping it over but I cant believe the fuss some people made over this. The cable is long which is a big pro.
The voice control is not there yet but seems to be getting better. Only about 6 out of 10 times it recognises my "OK Homey". About 5 out of 10 times it understands the (built in) voice commands. Using voice in the flows does not work that good yet. But when it works it's really awesome, I can image it becomes quite natural to give Homey voice commands!
The flow editor is a piece of art, it's very intuitive and with great capabilities. I do have some wishes for improvement and I have also seen some great suggestions on the forum that will hopefully make it even better but this can set Homey apart as in usability.
- The sunrise/sunset flow isnt working yet
- Adding Greenwave sockets (1 and 6 socket nodes) was very easy and worked perfect.
- I can manage the Zwave network from version 0.8.22. It's not perfect yet but I was able to remove ghost devices.
- Sometimes z-wave devices time out and cant be switched on/off from the zone view and a refresh node is needed for it to wake up. It works fine in flows however, even when the device can not be managed from the zone view.
- COMMAND_CLASS_METER_V2 is not yet implemented in the z-wave API which is why I can not see current power usage per socket on a Greenwave Powernode 6.
- I'm not able to pair the KAKU ACDB-7000B doorbell even though it works to switch a KAKU socket. Some other have reported that they where able to pair this doorbell so it might be related to my installation (using a relay in the default doorbell closed circuit).
- I was unable to pair remotes in 0.8.20 but havent tried since as I dont need them since the bitflip device was introduced in the BetterLogic app.
- For the Buienradar app I have a flow that should inform me 15 minutes before it starts raining but this never gets triggered, asking Homey if it's going to rain works fine though.
- I have been unable to voice trigger Homey for a Chuck Norris joke, the voice control is not accurate enough.
- I have been unable to do a voice controlled Wikipedia search, , the voice control is not accurate enough.
- It was a breeze adding my LIFX light bulb and I can control my light with it. Understanding the settings of the card took me a minute as it differs from the LIFX app it works well.
Contains only the basics right now but works reasonably well.
- I noticed sometimes it takes long to load the device cards.
- I also miss access to flows. I'd like to trigger flows with shortcuts/widgets. It's in the pipeline but without it the app has less value in daily use.
- The presence based on the GPS location through the app is unreliable, not sure if this is even fixable, I will probably look into a solution involving connected devices on the network
IMPROVEMENTSStuff that I would really like to see improved or added are (most if not all are already on the backlog of Athom):
- Better management of flows, the grow like mushrooms and become unmanagable in the current GUI;
- Bluetooth radio
- Spotify integration
- Widgets in the Android app
- Being able to manage built in voice commands (either Athom or apps) to avoid conflicts with
- A better scheduler functionality
- Samsung Smart TV app
I'll continue to replace my current hacky solutions consisting of programmable remotes and time clocks with flows within Homey. So unlike others, for me my Homey is not just a nice looking sphere with a LED ring that just sits there but an actual domotica controller and I hope it will get better of time (as well as Athom as a company).