This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

implement Zones as a filter for devices, including child zones

I am wondering what the idea is behind setup of devices in the tree of zones.

When I first started my Homey, it had a default zone setup, which looks very reasonable (kitchen and livingroom on the ground floor, bedroom and bathroom on the first floor, etc and ground floor and first floor in your home).

I added some devices, and placed them in a zone (livingroom, kitchen, hallway, bedroom, etc),
and expected that the zones can be used to filter all your devices to all the devices on a floor, to all the devices in a room (with this default setup; of course it is up to you how to arrange your devices in zones,  and zones in other zones).

However, when I open the zone of a floor, there aren't any devices in it (so no devices of the child-zones). Wouldn't it make more sense to include the devices of the child zones? Or is this maybe a bug or work in progress?

Comments

• I was going to report this also.
    There should be some sort of nested listing.
    When you select Home, every device should be listed.
    When you select First floor, all devices on the first floor should be listed.
    When you select Bathroom, only devices in the bathroom should be listed.
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    We found that if you have many devices, it became really cluttered..
  • Could you maybe make it optional?  It's not very practical right now.
    Not everybody has 100+ devices :)
  • Fire69 said:
    Could you maybe make it optional?  It's not very practical right now.
    You will! Once you get hooked! :-)  It's future proof!
  • Athomey said:
    Fire69 said:
    Could you maybe make it optional?  It's not very practical right now.
    You will! Once you get hooked! :-)  It's future proof!
    I have plenty of devices already, just not connected to Homey yet ;)
  • I can understand that when you have many devices, you see many devices when you select the root zone, but isn't that why you can narrow it down by selecting child-zones?

I have almost 20 Fibaro Dimmer2s. and since every dimmer results in 3 devices in the Homey interface (*another UX-issue that can use some improvement if you ask me, since for me it is unknown which (virtual) device does exactly what, especially at first), I can understand the root overview gets cluttered, but moving some virtual devices in a dummy-zone would help to get an overview in the first level of child-zones. 

In the current implementation there is the problem of always first have to select the correct zone, which is a bit cumbersome if you ask me.

The idea of @Fire69 suits me as well: maybe you can find a way to  implement a flag somewhere that indicates you want to see devices of child zones as well?

Ps. Even though there are still plenty of remarks, I have to say you all did a great job, making so many capabilities so easily and flexibly accessible in the flow editor. The base concept works out great, and the initial implementation already feels like a solid base.
  • TheoDeKoningTheoDeKoning Member
    edited February 2016
    Here it was some 20 devices connected.
    It helped to find some bug in build in commands and in sending lot of command's together.  
    If they already solved I don't no. Can't tested it with a brick.  ;)
This discussion has been closed.