This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

My first Homey

Just arrived.
The setup takes some time. And while I was waiting, here are some photos.

First complaint: the USB cable actually needs a angle mini plug. Not a straight plug.

Comments

• Great to see all these pics coming in!!! 

have fun @PieterKleinjan !!
  • Thanks for the pictures. Looking forward to your experience with it.
  • Ahhh great pics!
  • Looking forward to your review and inputs. What are the components in the first picture, cable leds??

• These component are part of the Geek order. Two wireless transceivers and jumper cables. 
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    We're already trying out new (clothed, more flexible) cables :-)
  • The setup is still not finished. Homey shows a green blinking light. But does not continue.
    It has a IP address. And now I know its Mac address.
    At the moment the host name is localhost. I think that will change later in the setup.

Homey has no name! The device is delivered without a sticker. Of course, it is a early prototype. 
    Maybe I will place my own sticker. Shall I name my device Emile?

I will continue my journey later. Now I have to go to the ISE event.  :s
  • Nice! I especially like the black cat in the background, my pictures on this forum of my Homey had my black cat on it also. Lets create a sub-scene-fanclub of Homey & black cats. ;-)  Looking forward to further experiences!
  • @Athomey: You beat me to it. Yust wanted to mention that.
    @PieterKleinJan: THX for sharing
  •  Now I have to go to the ISE event. 
    If possible please visit NEEO if you want to (and you know of them) and share the experience (even some pictures?), I am a backer of NEEO as well and am quite curious about it in real life! Would be much appreciated!

PS to avoid discussions: I regard Homey as my future main hub and NEEO as a nice replacement for my Harmony remote ;-)
  • Thanks for the pictures!  Mine is delivered, but I'm at work :neutral: 

What's with the usb cable? The one that's in the box doesn't fit??
  • Fire69 said:
    Thanks for the pictures!  Mine is delivered, but I'm at work :neutral: 

Cable is not flexible (enough) and the connector to big. Result is that you need to bend the cable to keep Homey on all his 3 feet.
  • @Emile how are the servers holding?
  • Julian Went to ISE yesterday, played with the NEEO and talked to the guys. Really impressive. High quality look & feel, not sure about the flexibility/'tweakability' of the interface. Could imagine that it is a great companion for the Homey 
  • @DieterKoblenz ;
    Is that a serious question?

At Athom office and employes are (wild guess) maybe 30 homey online.
    The last hours there are maybe 20-30 people who are at home and unboxed there homey.

The servers need to be ready for 1000 homey in the upcoming 2-4 weeks.

Would be very odd if the server are already struggling with the  doubling of online homeys.

Maybe tonight is all Geeks are playing and installing all 20 apps....
  • great images! thx for sharing!
  • @Emile how are the servers holding?
    I believe they're using Amazon Cloud, so I suppose up scaling shouldn't be a problem 
  • MarcoF said:
    Fire69 said:
    Thanks for the pictures!  Mine is delivered, but I'm at work :neutral: 

Cable is not flexible (enough) and the connector to big. Result is that you need to bend the cable to keep Homey on all his 3 feet.

1 time only issue. After bending it stays on its 3 feet, at least mine does.
  • edited February 2016
    Visite Neeo at ISE. Has a impressive remote. Like a Logitech Harmony. But very thin and has a beautiful display.
    No speech recognition.
  • weverwever Member
    edited February 2016
    Perhaps this can be a temperary fix http://www.allekabels.nl/usb-verloopstekker/7145/1193427/usb-verloopstekker.html I don't know which  usb connecter is needed but they have different kinds so that should not be a problem.
    Haakse USB verloopstekker Aansluiting 2 USB A Male

Edit: It would be great if Athom will send this or  a better cable as fire69 (see below) suggest.

• Honestly, if the problem with the cable is a permanent thing (which is not the case according to JohanKuster), I would expect Athom to send new cables to everyone.  It wouldn't be normal that you have to buy a new cable or adapter because the cable that comes with the Homey doesn't fit...

But I'll see that in a couple of hours when I get home and test it myself  :#
  • Great to receive my Homey today, I bended the cable a little and no probs now - non-issue.
    However I do not even get it connected to the Wifi so far. What I find confusing is that you are asked to connect (my laptop) to the Homey setup WIFI (works) then select the Home wifi network (done) enter password (done) and than I wait forever for it to connect (while on the screen it says I should make sure that my computer is connected to the Home WIfi network (but I was asked to connect it to the Homey setup, so NO it is not connected to the Home wifi at that moment anymore). 
    What am I doing wrong? Anyone?
  • @JosephineDries After you entered the password in Homey it will connect to your home-network and it will drop the adhoc-network. So you have to connect your laptop to the home-network now too... A lot of devices act this way nowadays...
  • @JosephineDries After you entered the password in Homey it will connect to your home-network and it will drop the adhoc-network. So you have to connect your laptop to the home-network now too... A lot of devices act this way nowadays...
    Thanks Bas, tried again, not working :(  I've done it before with the Mother-device I think, it worked then. I'll try again this evening
  • hmmm,  I also have a connection problem. I got to the point where I entered my home WiFi password on the Homey. Then waited a very long time. (after connecting to my home wifi) nothing happened. I restarded my Homey.
    It tells me to go to setup.athom.com. and after that I want to connect to HomeySetup SSID  But it is not there. I restarded again. It looks like the ad-hoc is a one time only network. And my homey does not connect to my home network.
    any advice??

• Put your homey upside down to reset it? Instead of restarting it?
  • holding it upside down, but nothing happens. the orange light is still on, 
    should I unplug/plug when upside down?
  • Homey reset:
  • tried it many times, but nogo.
    even tried > unplug > upside down> plug
    tried usb in my computer.
    tried turning on and waiting, it tells me still to go to setup.athom.com, but it will not start its ad-hoc network, and it will not connect to mine home WiFi.
    What happens if I used a wrong password for my WiFi?
This discussion has been closed.