This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Whatsapp

Hey, wouldn't it be cool if homey notifies you about an incomming whatsapp message and asks if it should read it so you could answer handsfree? You could use a flow for this, e.g. if your smartphone is on the charger and its not in the middle of the night Homey could use this profile... And so on.

Comments

• Sounds like a good idea! However, does whatsapp have an API?
  • p0ntsp0nts Member
    edited January 2016
    Nvm did not read properly
  • I guess so... There are Apps like touchless chat (from tasker Developer) in the play store, that are allowing google now (with Automotive)to do these features. And after the last Update google now can do this by itself (except reading incomming messages)
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    WhatsApp itself is very closed, and they actively ban people using unoffical APIs. I've had the same experience with my 'Eetlijst-WhatsApp'-project. It worked pretty good until they blocked my phone's number :-)
  • Can you do it with Telegram? 
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    jovink said:
    Can you do it with Telegram? 
    Yes! I've already experimented with a Telegram bot! It should also be possible to create a full-featured chat client, but that might take some time to make.. :)
  • Emile said:
    Yes! I've already experimented with a Telegram bot! It should also be possible to create a full-featured chat client, but that might take some time to make.. :)
    Take your time ;) 
    There are a lot of other apps waiting
  • Why not using Slack, that's already supported I think.
  •  Or the new Cisco Spark app via: https://developer.ciscospark.com/ 
  • I like the idea but maybe it would need a prio lost attached. I get so many texts a day, if homey would notify me on all of them I would go insane. Also a conversation via whatsapp would also be annoying.
    If homey would know if you are under the shower or in a loud kitchen it would be handy. 
    Being interrupted if you are having a conversation with a friend who came over would be annoying as well.

WhatsApp does have a web interface now, maybe that could be abused for this purpose.
  • jooowanjooowan Member
    edited February 2016
    @hblokhui ;your link goes to a 404 due to 1 space too many... this is the correct link.
    Ciscospark now also has a channel in zapier, built.io and ifttt.com for webhooks.  Looks interesting to me as Ciscospark adds free Audio and Video (SIP URI dialing to any public URI) soon and has incoming and outgoing webhooks as well.
  • To be honest I don't like the idea because messages should be private haha
  • The web interface for whatsapp is horrible, clumsy to use, requires your phone and afaik does not support API calls. Nor does the app.
    Afaik the only way to add any meaningfull support for whatsapp is to add GSM SIM support to Homey. You could use one of those free Lebara SIM cards to register on whatsapp and send commands to Homey by whatsapp message. Or text\SMS. Or call.

I say: put GSM SIM support on the wishlist for Homey 2! :smile: 

Or just stick with Telegram...

• Maybe the Chat API from MessageBirt is an option, they support WhatsApp and Telegram and have a library for node.js.

https://www.messagebird.com/en/chat-api

• Not to think of Whatsapp but a chat client (or service with your own client) would be great if it supports the standaard voice input and output. So you can send a message like it's spoken to Homey and Homey responds with voice and chat.

Now I use the /manager/speech-input or output website for it but that only supports one way and a webinterface.

This discussion has been closed.