This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Turn on device according to label/tag

Hi,
Is it possible to ID a device with a tag. For example having a variable as input from IFTTT and using that variable to identify what device to manipulate?

What I currently is trying to accomplish is to turn on a light (Y) and turn it off X second later, but only if it is turned off to start with. I can address on light at a time, but I want to do this with many flows and is trying to make it more efficient.

Comments

• robertkleprobertklep Member
    edited April 2018
    I don't think it's possible, but it sounds like it wouldn't be too hard to create an app that could provide this sort of functionality (I'd be happy to take a look at it).

Question is: how would you identify the devices? Just by their name (which isn't necessarily unique)? Perhaps a combination of the device class (`light`, `socket`, ...) and the name?
  • DaneeDeKruyffDaneeDeKruyff Member
    edited April 2018
    It’s not possible right now and @Emile shot it down as a feature request: https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/1917

(not having this made me decide to create the Heimdall app so i guess something good came from it)
  • @DaneeDeKruyff from what I understand, your request was to be able to add tags to each device, so you can group them "manually".

I think the question here is a bit different: the ability for actions to accept a tag that contains the name of a device, and evaluate that name into an actual device instance with that name, and perform an action on that device (turn it on/off, for instance). @nmeden, did I understand that correctly?
  • DaneeDeKruyffDaneeDeKruyff Member
    edited April 2018
    I read it as if it needed to be device independant so a common tag on different device would enable it to select those devices with a particulair tag, the
    nmeden said:
    I can address on light at a time, but I want to do this with many flows and is trying to make it more efficient.

Triggerd me into understanding it like that, but perhaps I’m way off ;)