Welcome to the Athom Community Forum! This is a place to share ideas, ask for help and discuss about Homey in general.

Please read Welcome to the forum to get started.
Zigbee

Zigbee Range issues

rockhoppersrockhoppers Member
edited April 9 in Devices
I think i am having Zigbee range issues sometimes, but not sure.
I have a bank of three double mains Xiaomi wall switches.
Two of them work most of the time, one sometimes.
I can sit and switch 1 and 2 off and on ok using Homey, but Number three will not respond.
they are within inches of each other so don't think it is range, unless interference.
I have removed and re-added the unit twice now with no change
Also, the whole Zigbee network appears to be connected to Homey directly, and not through a mesh like ZWave. Is this normal ?
See picture below.
Is there a range extender for Zigbee ?

Tagged:

Comments

• If I look at the picture i see no mesh network built-up... Do the device have a router feature?? Or are they all battery operated??
  • Yes, some of them do have router status.
    3 main powered wall switches.
    A

• But I don't see it in the mesh graph?
    Check if the router is enabled  on the devices it selfs.
  • Or rebuild the network.
  • No facility to enable Router function as far as i can see.
    Is there an easy way yo rebuild the network?
    Andrew
  • On the develop page. The rebuild of the mesh takes a bit of time
  • Network might also be good enough for direct connections, no mesh needed? Possibly the device itself is failing? Test switching locations or appliances inserted. 
  • My experience with a direct connection to homey is bad. It has a small range
  • See my zigbee mesh for 4 ikea leds. A good mesh should look like a flower.

• Yup, i am not getting anything like that.
    Not sure if the app has that functionality yet.
    Or should it just do it it's self ?
    Andrew
  • It's your zigbee device that should have the router capabilities. Looks like your devices aren't. What do you use?
  • rockhoppersrockhoppers Member
    edited March 25

Xiaomi Mi ZigBee aqara wall switches mainly

• Xiaomi Mi ZigBee aqara wall switches mainly

the wireless version (battery) or the build-in? 
  • Wired to the mains 240 volt supply
  • I searched for you in the specs but I cannot see any router features. The 230v should/would have it. But I also read this devices are not using the correct zigbee standards. I don't have this device yet. Maybe somebody else can confirm the router / mesh feature. @lubbertkramer maybe??
  • the graph is meanwhile removed from the page, just like for z-wave
  • @FvHuizen ; this is done 'by design' the graph was too confusing for some specific user groups. You will now have to use the table. (i liked the graph more however...)

• @FvHuizen ; this is done 'by design' the graph was too confusing for some specific user groups. You will now have to use the table. (i liked the graph more however...)

A Picture is worth a thousand words .. 
    They could've just hid the graph under a collapsible DIV and made it visible by clicking a link.. 
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited April 9
    techniman said:
    @FvHuizen ; this is done 'by design' the graph was too confusing for some specific user groups. You will now have to use the table. (i liked the graph more however...)

A Picture is worth a thousand words .. 
    They could've just hid the graph under a collapsible DIV and made it visible by clicking a link.. 
    Don't forget they already moved it to a seperated place but even then a lot of users who don't have the knowledge see it and go sending support tickets about it  because it was not always a good picture where it became a day job answering. That was not the purpose of developer tools 
  • So? I am also in the software development. If I just remove every feature customers can dispute over I can just better stop at all. OR I hear the customers need and change it so it matches instead of remove it! But thats just my 2 cents
  • So? I am also in the software development. If I just remove every feature customers can dispute over I can just better stop at all. OR I hear the customers need and change it so it matches instead of remove it! But thats just my 2 cents
    Can be that it comes back when they can show a 100% matching picture, just add it to GH the same way it got removed by a GH issue made by users
  • Are there any other devices that youcan use to extend the range of the xiaomi/aqara zigbee devices? At this moment i have issues(lost connection) with 1 human body sensor(no problems till last week and also with 1 temperature humidity sensor. 
  • Micha1980 said:
    Are there any other devices that youcan use to extend the range of the xiaomi/aqara zigbee devices? At this moment i have issues(lost connection) with 1 human body sensor(no problems till last week and also with 1 temperature humidity sensor. 
    Just take a look at the github issues or read the blog - > https://blog.athom.com/behind-magic-march-2018/, it are known problems which will stay until the rewrite has been done. You can expand your mesh with lights or plugs (if it's not battery powered) but even a great mesh won't stop the problems from occuring 
  • Micha1980 said:
    Are there any other devices that youcan use to extend the range of the xiaomi/aqara zigbee devices? At this moment i have issues(lost connection) with 1 human body sensor(no problems till last week and also with 1 temperature humidity sensor. 
    Just take a look at the github issues or read the blog - > https://blog.athom.com/behind-magic-march-2018/, it are known problems which will stay until the rewrite has been done. You can expand your mesh with lights or plugs (if it's not battery powered) but even a great mesh won't stop the problems from occuring 
    Thnx Lubbertkramer for the quick response. Which devices whould you prefer, i only can imagine the light switches, but unfortunately is that not an option. You also talked about lights?? I appreciate your help
  • TedTolboomTedTolboom Backer - Geek Edition
    Micha1980 said:
    Micha1980 said:
    Thnx Lubbertkramer for the quick response. Which devices whould you prefer, i only can imagine the light switches, but unfortunately is that not an option. You also talked about lights?? I appreciate your help
    @Micha1980 any Zigbee based lights will do; Philips Hue, IKEA Tradfri, INNR etc. as long as the device is linked directly to Homey (‘s Zigbee network) and not via a hub.
  • Micha1980 said:
    Micha1980 said:
    @Micha1980 any Zigbee based lights will do; Philips Hue, IKEA Tradfri, INNR etc. as long as the device is linked directly to Homey (‘s Zigbee network) and not via a hub.
    Ted I wanna thank you for your help, wonderful to see how helpful everybody is!!!! 
  • See my zigbee mesh for 4 ikea leds. A good mesh should look like a flower.

Hi Michel,
    What software are you using to visualise the (mesh) network?

Br,
    Jan
  • technimantechniman Member
    This functionality was in the homey settings > zigbee settings, but it has since been removed