This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Zigbee

Zigbee Range issues

rockhoppersrockhoppers Member
edited April 2018 in Devices
I think i am having Zigbee range issues sometimes, but not sure.
I have a bank of three double mains Xiaomi wall switches.
Two of them work most of the time, one sometimes.
I can sit and switch 1 and 2 off and on ok using Homey, but Number three will not respond.
they are within inches of each other so don't think it is range, unless interference.
I have removed and re-added the unit twice now with no change
Also, the whole Zigbee network appears to be connected to Homey directly, and not through a mesh like ZWave. Is this normal ?
See picture below.
Is there a range extender for Zigbee ?

Tagged:

Comments

• If I look at the picture i see no mesh network built-up... Do the device have a router feature?? Or are they all battery operated??
  • Yes, some of them do have router status.
    3 main powered wall switches.
    A

• But I don't see it in the mesh graph?
    Check if the router is enabled  on the devices it selfs.
  • Or rebuild the network.
  • No facility to enable Router function as far as i can see.
    Is there an easy way yo rebuild the network?
    Andrew
  • On the develop page. The rebuild of the mesh takes a bit of time
  • Network might also be good enough for direct connections, no mesh needed? Possibly the device itself is failing? Test switching locations or appliances inserted. 
  • My experience with a direct connection to homey is bad. It has a small range
  • See my zigbee mesh for 4 ikea leds. A good mesh should look like a flower.

• Yup, i am not getting anything like that.
    Not sure if the app has that functionality yet.
    Or should it just do it it's self ?
    Andrew
  • It's your zigbee device that should have the router capabilities. Looks like your devices aren't. What do you use?
  • rockhoppersrockhoppers Member
    edited March 2018

Xiaomi Mi ZigBee aqara wall switches mainly

• Xiaomi Mi ZigBee aqara wall switches mainly

the wireless version (battery) or the build-in? 
  • Wired to the mains 240 volt supply
  • I searched for you in the specs but I cannot see any router features. The 230v should/would have it. But I also read this devices are not using the correct zigbee standards. I don't have this device yet. Maybe somebody else can confirm the router / mesh feature. @lubbertkramer maybe??
  • the graph is meanwhile removed from the page, just like for z-wave
  • @FvHuizen ; this is done 'by design' the graph was too confusing for some specific user groups. You will now have to use the table. (i liked the graph more however...)

• @FvHuizen ; this is done 'by design' the graph was too confusing for some specific user groups. You will now have to use the table. (i liked the graph more however...)

A Picture is worth a thousand words .. 
    They could've just hid the graph under a collapsible DIV and made it visible by clicking a link.. 
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited April 2018
    techniman said:
    @FvHuizen ; this is done 'by design' the graph was too confusing for some specific user groups. You will now have to use the table. (i liked the graph more however...)

A Picture is worth a thousand words .. 
    They could've just hid the graph under a collapsible DIV and made it visible by clicking a link.. 
    Don't forget they already moved it to a seperated place but even then a lot of users who don't have the knowledge see it and go sending support tickets about it  because it was not always a good picture where it became a day job answering. That was not the purpose of developer tools 
  • So? I am also in the software development. If I just remove every feature customers can dispute over I can just better stop at all. OR I hear the customers need and change it so it matches instead of remove it! But thats just my 2 cents
  • So? I am also in the software development. If I just remove every feature customers can dispute over I can just better stop at all. OR I hear the customers need and change it so it matches instead of remove it! But thats just my 2 cents
    Can be that it comes back when they can show a 100% matching picture, just add it to GH the same way it got removed by a GH issue made by users
  • Are there any other devices that youcan use to extend the range of the xiaomi/aqara zigbee devices? At this moment i have issues(lost connection) with 1 human body sensor(no problems till last week and also with 1 temperature humidity sensor. 
  • Micha1980 said:
    Are there any other devices that youcan use to extend the range of the xiaomi/aqara zigbee devices? At this moment i have issues(lost connection) with 1 human body sensor(no problems till last week and also with 1 temperature humidity sensor. 
    Just take a look at the github issues or read the blog - > https://blog.athom.com/behind-magic-march-2018/, it are known problems which will stay until the rewrite has been done. You can expand your mesh with lights or plugs (if it's not battery powered) but even a great mesh won't stop the problems from occuring 
  • Micha1980 said:
    Are there any other devices that youcan use to extend the range of the xiaomi/aqara zigbee devices? At this moment i have issues(lost connection) with 1 human body sensor(no problems till last week and also with 1 temperature humidity sensor. 
    Just take a look at the github issues or read the blog - > https://blog.athom.com/behind-magic-march-2018/, it are known problems which will stay until the rewrite has been done. You can expand your mesh with lights or plugs (if it's not battery powered) but even a great mesh won't stop the problems from occuring 
    Thnx Lubbertkramer for the quick response. Which devices whould you prefer, i only can imagine the light switches, but unfortunately is that not an option. You also talked about lights?? I appreciate your help
  • Micha1980 said:
    Micha1980 said:
    Thnx Lubbertkramer for the quick response. Which devices whould you prefer, i only can imagine the light switches, but unfortunately is that not an option. You also talked about lights?? I appreciate your help
    @Micha1980 any Zigbee based lights will do; Philips Hue, IKEA Tradfri, INNR etc. as long as the device is linked directly to Homey (‘s Zigbee network) and not via a hub.
  • Micha1980 said:
    Micha1980 said:
    @Micha1980 any Zigbee based lights will do; Philips Hue, IKEA Tradfri, INNR etc. as long as the device is linked directly to Homey (‘s Zigbee network) and not via a hub.
    Ted I wanna thank you for your help, wonderful to see how helpful everybody is!!!! 
  • See my zigbee mesh for 4 ikea leds. A good mesh should look like a flower.

Hi Michel,
    What software are you using to visualise the (mesh) network?

Br,
    Jan
  • This functionality was in the homey settings > zigbee settings, but it has since been removed 
  • Hi all, 

Have setup my Homey last week and have added 4 x Innr devices. How can I see if the Mesh network is working correctly and is routed good? The Saarlamp is not responding that well... See below pic:
  • First of all, the picture isn’t of any information. That is, at that moment it not display the routing yet. You have to wait a little longer. Then it shows more info, like if it is connected directly to Homey or not. Second, it looks to me as if the device isn’t included right or recognized as it should. What’s the 4 device?