This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Migration path

I wonder what the migration path will be for existing Z-Wave implementations? I myself have a Vera3 which I'll happily say goodbye to when I get my Homey. But, it would be a bit of a nuisance to first exclude all my devices from the Vera3 and then include them into the Homey....
I guess @Emile thought of a smarter solution :).

Comments

• We did :p when you include Homey in an existing network it detects your current nodes (only routing slaves, no battery devices though). The pair wizard will then give you the option to add the devices already in the network.

This could generate a long list in the pair wizard if you have a lot of devices so I suggest you make a list which node id is which device.

• Too bad you need a controller that supports that... I'll need to do it manually, but I don't have that many devices, so I don't mind :-)

• JonJon Member
    edited December 2015

Hi @Taco or @Emile. I have bunch of Fakro z-wave roof windows plus included curtains which are now all controlled by a small battery powered remote. So how, in simple words, will I be able to take control over them with the Homey?
    Or will it be necessary to create an app first?

• Within the Z-Wave specification you should also be able to do a 'controller shift'.... Which basically comes down to this: Controller A is primary. B is a new controller. A shifts control to B. Now B is primary, A is secondary. You can then switch off Controller A and use B solely.

See: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/ZWave_Options

• @PimBliek: correct, but mentioned earlier, only supported for z-wave plus controllers. For example: the aeonlabs Z2 stick won't support it, but the latest one will.

• If that doesnt work, cant we add Homey as secundair controller? I'd like to do that anyhow. Since my migration will take longer because I have more than z-wave.

• @HarryBuurman: Yes you can add it as secundairy controller. But there are some drawbacks on that:

Quote from vesternet (http://www.vesternet.com/resources/technology-indepth/understanding-z-wave-networks):

The primary controller can include further devices, whereas the secondary controller cannot. However, the primary and secondary controllers operate the same in all other respects.

• Sounds like I just need to reset the Z-Wave network on the Vera and then re-include everything on the Homey. Less error-prone... Bit of a hassle but maybe the best. Unfortunately I already had to do a full reset on the Vera a couple of days ago because of a very nasty bug in the Vera...
  • Hello PimBliek,

It should be possible to join the Homey as a secondary controller and then perform a so-called controller shift. Meaning your Homey becomes the main controller, and your current Vera system becomes a secondary. You can remove the secondary controller afterwards.

Battery operated devices won't be awake all the time and so those devices will need to excluded from the Vera and then included in the Homey Z-wave network. Fortunately most battery operated devices will be accessible for this task, whereas always-on devices are probably built into wall sockets and devices here and there, so it would be annoying to have to exclude/include all of them.

• novaflash said:
    Hello PimBliek,

It should be possible to join the Homey as a secondary controller and then perform a so-called controller shift. Meaning your Homey becomes the main controller, and your current Vera system becomes a secondary. You can remove the secondary controller afterwards.

Battery operated devices won't be awake all the time and so those devices will need to excluded from the Vera and then included in the Homey Z-wave network. Fortunately most battery operated devices will be accessible for this task, whereas always-on devices are probably built into wall sockets and devices here and there, so it would be annoying to have to exclude/include all of them.

@novaflash: only if the current controller is a z-wave plus controller, otherwise in most cases the controller shift will fail.
    That is also the feedback i've got from AeonLabs! So a controller shift off my current z-wave Z2 stick (not z-wave plus) towards Homey is a no go!
  • This is true; it has to be z-wave plus. Homey fortunately is, but I don't know about Vera. If it is, then this can be done. If not; tough luck.
  • novaflash said:
    This is true; it has to be z-wave plus. Homey fortunately is, but I don't know about Vera. If it is, then this can be done. If not; tough luck.
    Vera Edge has z-wave plus, the earlier versions i believe not.
  • novaflash said:
    This is true; it has to be z-wave plus. Homey fortunately is, but I don't know about Vera. If it is, then this can be done. If not; tough luck.
    Vera Edge has z-wave plus, the earlier versions i believe not.

True. VeraEdge has a Z-Wave+ chip, the Vera 3 and Vera Lite haven't.
  • http://getvera.com/controllers/

Vera3: Z-Wave (300 Series)
    VeraLite: Z-Wave (300 Series)
    VeraEdge: Z-Wave Plus (500 Series)
  • Eagerly awaiting the arrival of my ordered Homey, I too was think about the migration path. Currently, I use an Aeotec Z-stick Gen 5 USB stick and Domoticz running on a Synology NAS.

In the Domoticz / hardware section I see 3 options that seem to be made to help migrating to other platforms:
    - send configuration to other controller
    - transfer primary role 
    - download configuration file 

My z-wve devices include wall mounted (mains operated_switches, mainly Fibaro) but also battery operated PIR's. 

Any recommendations for migrating? Or, would it even make sense to combine the Homey with Domoticz?
This discussion has been closed.