This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey battery?

Something I was wondering about last night, I really didn't think of it before... What kind of power does Homey run on? I assume it doesn't need to be connected to the power outlet, since a cable would be very annoying for a device that you want to place in the center of your living room (at least, I want to!). Does it run on batteries or a builtin battery? How long before it needs a recharge?

Comments

• It gets its power from a microusb cable. So you need an power outlet. Or maybe a powerbank but i dont know how long that will last.

• jorden said:

>

Hate to break your dream:

• Pretty unrealistic to think that a device with that cpu and all kinds of wireless technology would be able to run on batteries for a long time.
    And running the risk of draining the battery which would stop it from controlling the lights/measuring power consumption/...

• I am glad it doesn't :p

• I was thinking at the same issue, so decided to build a dedicated table/stand from Zebrano
    with the USB Cable integrated.
    But would like to know the size of sphere and distance between the little legs of the Homey also the location of the USB connector.. so maybe a picture from the bottom with some scale would be nice.. so I can spend the waiting time by building.. :-)

Zebrano tropical hardwood,

• @Robebar Damn, that's some dedication! Not bad!

• jordenjorden Member
    edited November 2015

Good to know. I will have to think of a way to get to a power outlet in my home....

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

@Robebar that's amazing! Homey is 12cm in diameter. Maybe this helps:

As for a battery, it's USB, so you could plug in into a Power bank.

• What's the power consumption? How lang would you be able to use it with a 20000mah powerbank? :-)

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

We ship a 5V 2A (=10W) adapter, but our measurements show ~7W peak usage.

• 12cm is the size of a CD (Or DVD if you are post CD timeframe), so you get an idea about the size.

• Emile said:
    We ship a 5V 2A (=10W) adapter, but our measurements show ~7W peak usage.

That's really low for peak power! Well done!

• Emile said:

@Emile, thanks that will certainly help, will start this build in two weeks, and will show details and results as they come.

• @Emile awesome, will see about a powerbank, I think I would like that better :)

• Hello, is it possible to hang it to the ceilling?
    So upsite down??

• MartijnHarte said:
    Probably not, it would perform a reset: https://forum.athom.com/discussion/421/homey-reset/p1

Makes the NFC reader hard to reach when you are small too ;) Like the idea of the ceiling, could hang it in the middle of the (living) room and worry less about IR range.

• 12V trafo in the Ceiling and trow the nfc at Homey, hoping it will come back to you....(the nfc tag of course ;-)

• Lolrofl @...(the nfc tag of course ;-)

• Robebar said:

Emile said:

@Emile, thanks that will certainly help, will start this build in two weeks, and will show details and results as they come.

@rodebar,

any news on your project?

Now that Homey is getting out of the lab, I would like to see you project, to get some inspiration for the "home-build"
  • Reading this topic, i have a seilling power point with a smoke detector on it and that sounds like a great place for a product like homey. More central in the house, using its best IR from front, able to detect smoke (if added as feature) so for the homey 2.0 seilling mount/ version i would applause (if possible with 240 v connection possible so no adapter is needed.
  • RobebarRobebar Member
    @tommyjay ;
    @Emile ;
    Ok its some time ago, and many other projects came in between, but as prommised here are the pictures of my dedicated homey side table. 
    Its location is perfect for receiving IR and sending IR which is working trough a cheap IR extender behind glass.. 

• BumblezBumblez Member
    Looks great! The sad thing is that you need that IR extender... Homey should have been able to handle the IR signals without the extender...
  • RobebarRobebar Member
    Bumblez said:
    Looks great! The sad thing is that you need that IR extender... Homey should have been able to handle the IR signals without the extender...
    It does, for the TV but all my other equipment is in the cabinet on the other side of the wall, so I already had this extender to for my orriginal remotes ,,, 
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    ah ok, that makes sense.
  • jordenjorden Member
    @Robebar So IR works well for you. Do you only have 'recognized' IR devices out of the Athom database, or also manually added IR signals?
  • RobebarRobebar Member
    My Samsung Remote was reconised after 2 buttons, and works fine, My 20 years old JVC remote for my audio equipment I had to add Manualy, and my Apple IPod Remote was not reconised at all, My NUC with Kodi is controlled trough Network,  My UPC Box, I did not try yet as I do not use that a lot
  • jordenjorden Member
    Good to hear that the JVC you added manually, works, that means I should be able to get my IR to work if I place Homey better.
  • Robebar said:
    My Samsung Remote was reconised after 2 buttons, and works fine, My 20 years old JVC remote for my audio equipment I had to add Manualy, and my Apple IPod Remote was not reconised at all, My NUC with Kodi is controlled trough Network,  My UPC Box, I did not try yet as I do not use that a lot
    Were you able to get Homey to learn all the buttons of your remote or just a sub set?
  • RobebarRobebar Member
    edited May 2016
    I did only programmed the buttons that I needed, about 8 or 9 at this point, its a compulink remote so it has many buttons.