This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official Z-Wave CommunityApp

[APP Z-Wave] NEO Coolcam Z-Wave devices - Main discussion topic

Comments

• EternityEternity Member
    edited August 2017
    A question about the battery consumption of the NEO Door sensor.

The battery drain was slow the first weeks, and rapid the last days:

The sensor is not used; it is kept with the magnet attached to it. So; no ON/OFF signals are sent.

The sabotage alarm is activated 24/7. This is caused by the inner button not being pressed in all the time, due to the plastic clip breaking off. It has been like this since I paired it with Homey. So, the first weeks it did not effect the battery consumption and seems irrelevant for the sudden battery drain.

These are the settings (it is an old version and does not have a temperature sensor built in / attached!):

What is a normal battery life span?
    What could have caused the drain the last week?
    Could it be related to the firmware update?

• Hi all, Does anyone here have experience with installing the Neo Coolcam switches in an environment that uses "wissel schakelaars" 
  • @bartglim like in a "hotel-schakeling" like setup; either one of the switches can switch on or of the light?

The Neo Touch switch does not support this in the conventional way (i.e. with wires). It does not have a wissel connection on it; just a Load and Neutral supply and 2 connection connectors leading to the double lights.

It is possible to interconnect the left switch of both switches by means of the Neo app on Homey (via direct association), to create a similar function. The right switch is for now not possible, because that would require multichannel association which is not supported yet by Homey...
  • Today I received the Neo Touch single wall switch. When I try to add it to Homey, the switch is added as 'unknown Z-Wave device'. Homey also tells me there is no app installed matching the device. I have the latest Neo app installed, tried the app store and also the latest GitHub version. They both give the same problem.

Nonetheless, the switch does work and the status also changes correctly. Main problem is that I cannot change any settings. If I am correct, the single switch is already supported (mentioned on the app store page). In that case it should install like all the other Neo devices. Or is this still in development? I am still on FW 1.3.1 btw.

• Jeromes said:

Today I received the Neo Touch single wall switch. When I try to add it to Homey, the switch is added as 'unknown Z-Wave device'. Homey also tells me there is no app installed matching the device. I have the latest Neo app installed, tried the app store and also the latest GitHub version. They both give the same problem.

Nonetheless, the switch does work and the status also changes correctly. Main problem is that I cannot change any settings. If I am correct, the single switch is already supported (mentioned on the app store page). In that case it should install like all the other Neo devices. Or is this still in development? I am still on FW 1.3.1 btw.

@jeromes the switch that @m-ruiter ordered to test and add it to the Neo app was lost... so we could not retrieve the product ID's and verify the functioning of the single switch yet.

Can you post a screenshot of the product ID's? Based on that we can include it into the next update of the Neo app...

• I guess this is what you need? If I can help with anything else, let me know!
  • Can anyone post a picture of the double or single wall switch when it's mounted? I wonder how it looks on the wall.....

• Tim_Brass said:
    Can anyone post a picture of the double or single wall switch when it's mounted? I wonder how it looks on the wall.....

I think they look great :). The standard color of the ring is blue in off state and purple in on state. You can turn this off, it than changes to red if turned on.
  • Hi, I got connection issues with the Neo Wall Plug since 1.5.0 firmware from homey. I have to wake up the wall plug by pushing three times on the pairing button to get it working again. It won't switch on or off, only when i wake it up manualy. You guys experiencing this? Or have any suggestions?
  • spoelly said:
    Hi, I got connection issues with the Neo Wall Plug since 1.5.0 firmware from homey. I have to wake up the wall plug by pushing three times on the pairing button to get it working again. It won't switch on or off, only when i wake it up manualy. You guys experiencing this? Or have any suggestions?
    I do recognize this with 1.3.1 also.
  • Hi,
    I just got my double wall switch and I was wondering, can they also be used for dimming? Have not installed it yet so that is why I ask.

greetings,
    Aaron
  • Aaron said:
    Hi,
    I just got my double wall switch and I was wondering, can they also be used for dimming? Have not installed it yet so that is why I ask.

greetings,
    Aaron
    No. The switch itself only switched the connected load (obvious) and only sends switch on / off commands (instantly) to the associated devices (incl. Homey).

It does not support Central Scene Class (e.g. key held) or dimming related Command Class commands (like multilevel switch). 

Not sure if dimmers are anywhere soon on the Neo roadmap; perhaps @m-ruiter knows?
    I do expect to receive a MCOhome Touch panel dimmer soon which should be able to dim (again obvious)...
  • Ok @TedTolboom , thanks.
    MCOhome is nice but more expensive. But then again, if it works and looks nice.....
    I must say that I am really surprised by the quality of the build of the Neo. It really looks and feels nice. Does it support double tap maybe?
    I wonder If you would see a major differance between the Neo and the MCO when you put them next to each other. If not we could combine them.

greetings,
    Aaron
  • Aaron said:
    Ok @TedTolboom , thanks.
    MCOhome is nice but more expensive. But then again, if it works and looks nice.....
    I must say that I am really surprised by the quality of the build of the Neo. It really looks and feels nice. Does it support double tap maybe?
    I wonder If you would see a major differance between the Neo and the MCO when you put them next to each other. If not we could combine them.

greetings,
    Aaron
    @Aaron from frontal view you'll not notice the difference (85 mm vs 86 mm); small difference in design of the 'buttons'.
    Biggest difference is the thickness of the panel; 11 mm for the MCO home (with 4 mm glass) and 8 for the Neo (with ~1mm plastic panel)...
  • Hmmm, I can live with that  :) thanks!
  • I installed the switch. I must say it looks really nice and works perfectly.
    One thing that I miss in the cards is the "is switched" card. Now I have to make 2 flows. One to turn lichts on and one to turn them off. If I could use the "is switched" card I could use the and/or column to see if it is on or off. Is that something that could be added? Or is it simply not possible with the Neo switch?

One thing for others trying to install the switch, be careful when you remove the pannel, I broke the glass and I did not even use extreme force.

greetings,
    Aaron
  • Had the same thing with the new Harmony hub app...but it seems there COULD be a global token that you could use to check. Not sure if this is the case for the Neo switch tho...
  • I'm just looking at buying some of these Coolcam things and wondering about the difference between PD02Z and PD01Z?
    From what I can see only difference is the way they attach? 1 seems to have a Fibaro style grip where as 2 seems to have some kind of magnetic dome?! Or is the 2 different (better?) in other ways?

I was going to buy some Fibaro ones as think I'll find the light level sensing useful and maybe even the temp (tho can't think how right now), but if these can do the same job then it's quite a saving!

Also, has anyone integrated the cam's into their setup or are they totally separate?

Thanks!
  • vaderag said:
    I'm just looking at buying some of these Coolcam things and wondering about the difference between PD02Z and PD01Z?
    From what I can see only difference is the way they attach? 1 seems to have a Fibaro style grip where as 2 seems to have some kind of magnetic dome?! Or is the 2 different (better?) in other ways?

I was going to buy some Fibaro ones as think I'll find the light level sensing useful and maybe even the temp (tho can't think how right now), but if these can do the same job then it's quite a saving!

Also, has anyone integrated the cam's into their setup or are they totally separate?

Thanks!
    @vaderag only difference between both NEO PIR's is the sensor mounting... no real preference from my side, although the PD01Z (including it's mounting) is more compact.

Both devices use the same sensors and therefore lack a temperature sensor (although some shops indicate "temperature sensing")...

The Neo doorcam is a wifi based cam and therefore not supported by the Neo app (focussing on the Z-wave devices).
    I have seen several reviews where people provided feedback that the quality of the cam is not good (enough)...
  • Ter info:
    Zojuist de nieuwe pir van Neo binnen gehad (NAS-PD02Z) aangemeld als de oude pir in de app.
    Beweging, lux en batterij komen binnen, lijkt dus alleen om uiterlijke verandering te gaan niet intern.
    Werkt perfect.
    Let's keep it English next time, this is not the Dutch part of the forum. But the PD02Z can also measure temperature but the neo app needs to be adjusted for it. You can pair it now as the first motion sensor, only temp will be missing

Already edited my comment with english translation before you replied, but the sensor only support lux en motion according to the Aliexpress info.
    So i'm curious where you got the info from and with temp you mean temperature right?  
    I clicked quote and came something in between before i did submit my answer, see now your edit :) Thanks! 

But yes temperature, got it from the official website just like @TedTolboom said -> http://www.szneo.com/en/products/show.php?id=197
    After reading through the thread i see that maybe the newer sensor has temp too, but the app has not yet been updated to use it?
    But then after this someone says it does not

Wondering if that person just wasn't aware of the app not being updated, or if it in fact does not?

Also, can anyone confirm if this has LEDs like the Fibaro ones?
    Thanks!
  • vaderagvaderag Member
    edited September 2017
    vaderag said:
    I'm just looking at buying some of these Coolcam things and wondering about the difference between PD02Z and PD01Z?

Thanks!
    @vaderag only difference between both NEO PIR's is the sensor mounting... no real preference from my side, although the PD01Z (including it's mounting) is more compact.

Both devices use the same sensors and therefore lack a temperature sensor (although some shops indicate "temperature sensing")...

The Neo doorcam is a wifi based cam and therefore not supported by the Neo app (focussing on the Z-wave devices).
    I have seen several reviews where people provided feedback that the quality of the cam is not good (enough)...
    Thanks @TedTolboom
    my reply above was written before i saw this! Would still like to know about the led's mind...

I think i prefer the V1 look, so may go for that

One other question - I have no other Z-wave devices (yet) - i see that may cause issues - should I be concerned?

I plan to get 2 of these and maybe one door sensor to start...
  • vaderag said:
    vaderag said:

Thanks!

Thanks @TedTolboom
    my reply above was written before i saw this! Would still like to know about the led's mind...

One other question - I have no other Z-wave devices (yet) - i see that may cause issues - should I be concerned?

It has a LED (red), but no RGB cateye like the Fibaro's sensor.

Please be aware that battery powered Z-wave (as well as Zigbee) devices do not create a mesh network.
    So if you only add sensors (PIR and door sensors), the range will be limited to the range of the device itself; typically 5-7m (depending on the construction type of your house)...

An option can be to add some Neo power plugs, to establish this mesh network...
  • vaderagvaderag Member
    edited September 2017
    vaderag said:
    vaderag said:

Thanks!

Thanks @TedTolboom

It has a LED (red), but no RGB cateye like the Fibaro's sensor.

Please be aware that battery powered Z-wave (as well as Zigbee) devices do not create a mesh network.
    So if you only add sensors (PIR and door sensors), the range will be limited to the range of the device itself; typically 5-7m (depending on the construction type of your house)...

An option can be to add some Neo power plugs, to establish this mesh network...
    Thank you - looks like that might be an option. Do they need to be same brand and actively in use? 

EDIT: Ah - just realised that the Neo plugs are EU only, not UK plug type... anyone know a UK variant that might solve this issue?

EDIT2: Would a Fibaro Dimmer do the same job to help build the mesh? Are there any (cheap, maybe chinese?!) equivalents to that!?
  • @vaderag: No, not needed to have the same brand.
    Any non-battery powered Z-wave device (e.g. Fibaro dimmer) will create a mesh network.
  • @vaderag: No, not needed to have the same brand.
    Any non-battery powered Z-wave device (e.g. Fibaro dimmer) will create a mesh network.
    Thank you :) (I'm a bit of a n00b in case you hadn't realised!)

So - are there any things similar to the Fibaro dimmer from someone like Neo? I have no Neutral in my light switches so without major effort many of the other devices wont work (especially not by giving me a UK style switch). I had planned to go LightwaveRF but now that I know that I need a Zwave mesh it seems to make sense to go Zwave in some capacity
  • jimmy_zeropmjimmy_zeropm Member
    edited September 2017
    Maybe a little off topic but I think it holds some information ;-). I would like to share this experience with you.

After months of moderate performance with my NEO wallsockets (see my previous posts here)
    In combination with a Fibaro motion sensor, I've decided to buy a fibaro socket and a dimmer 2.
    Complaints were very unreliable sockets with no extra data readings as power etc.
    And didn't connect in the z-wave mesh diagram. I've tried many things but never with a a good result.

I decided to remove all my z-wave components and return them to factory settings.
    Then I start adding everything to Homey. First the Fibaro Dimmer 2, then a Fibaro wall socket and then the Fibaro motion sensor. Immediately there was a complete connected mesh and everything worked out of the box perfectly.

Then I added the NEO sockets. And what turned out ... they worked perfectly?

The range has suddenly been through the entire apartment (was 3-4 meters from Homey), they provide all the extra data etc. I'm super happy! And not to have a pro Fibaro chat but there is obviously something about this positive development. It seems to me that the Fibaro products are a much stronger base to produce a reliable mesh and then expandable with Neo products.

Because I have seen many people with similar problems here, I would like to share this "solution" here. If I can provide additional data to improve conclusions, then I'm allways willing to post them here.
    Mod break by @TedTolboom: without changing content, reformatted this comment for readability and removed duplicate posts
  • Misschien een beetje off-topic maar wellicht ook weer niet ;-). Ik wil deze ervaring toch even met jullie delen.

Na maandenlang matige prestaties te hebben gehad met mijn NEO wallsockets (zie mijn eerdere posts hier) icm met een Fibaro motion sensor heb ik toch de knoop doorgehakt en heb ik een socket van Fibaro gekocht en een dimmer 2. 

Klachten waren het niet of zeer onbetrouwbaar reageren van de sockets, geen extra data readings als power etc en het niet willen verbinden in het z-wave mesh diagram. Heel veel dingen geprobeerd, nooit een goed resultaat.

Maar nu, ik had besloten al mijn z-wave componenten te verwijderen en naar fabrieksinstellingen terug te brengen. Vervolgens ben ik in Homey opnieuw begonnen om alles toe te voegen. Als eerste de Dimmer 2, toen een Fibaro wallsocket en daarna de Fibaro motion sensor. Meteen ontstond er een ster en werkte alles out of the box perfect. 

Vervolgens ben ik de sockets van Neo gaan toevoegen. En wat blijkt... ze werken perfect? De range is opeens door het hele appartement heen (was 3-4 meter vanaf Homey), ze geven alle extra data door etc. Ik ben superblij! En niet om een pro Fibaro praatje te houden maar er is natuurlijk wel iets aan de hand wat deze positieve ontwikkeling heeft veroorzaakt. Het lijkt mij er het meest op dat de Fibaro producten een veel sterkere basis vormen en vervolgens prima zijn uit te breiden met Neo producten. 

Omdat ik veel mensen met soortgelijke problemen hier heb gezien wilde ik deze "oplossing" toch graag hier delen. Mocht ik nog aanvullende data kunnen aanleveren om conclusies wellicht te verbeteren dan kan dat altijd. 
    I don't understand Dutch, but if Google Translate is serving me well, it sounds like by putting in a Fibaro first and THEN the Neo you see better performance? Is this just coincidence or could there be some technological basis?
  • @jimmy_zeropm thanks for sharing!
  • @TedTolboom you're welcome. And thanks for editing my post ;-). 

I'm very happy with my results, every problem is gone and everything works like a charm. But the tech-addict in me is still curious what really changed this. Pro Neo conclusion is that the sockets do work fully, I allways wondering if the advanced readings were really a working feature because they never gave any reading. But now the mesh is good, all works fine. And sure to note the much increased distance.

• Received my order of 6 door sensors, 1 motion sensor, 1 siren and 1 power plug. Read a couple of posts back that the mesh network can only be created with powered devices, in my case so only the power plug.

Does anyone have any tips on how to best add my devices so that I have the best coverage? I guess with only one power plug I will not get a mesh network :-( 

Is it better to place my devices where I want them, and then move Homey closer to add them or can I add all the devices close to Homey and then move them to where I want them?