This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Solved

Any update on 1.5?

RebtorRebtor Member
edited July 2017 in Questions & Help
Another week has passed but no 1.5. Is there any news on when we can expect 1.5 in the experimental channel?
Tagged:

Comments

• swtttswttt Member
    Don't forget 1.5.0 is pretty huge. SDKv2, Node 8.1.4, OR in the AND columns, new IR apps, Zigbee and i'll bett that i still forget something.

To be fair, i actually expected them to push 1.5.0 to experimental with Zigbee disabled tho. And then enable that on the next update. But there are still some non Zigbee bugs found so...for us really hard to tell. But i really think you can expect it somewhere next week in experimental...with or without Zigbee.
  • Patience is a virtue

• RebtorRebtor Member
    edited July 2017
    I know 1.5.0 is a big update. And i know patience is a virtue. And in general I'm a very positive homey user so this message was not meant to be negative in any way. I just have written / changed some apps i use with my homey and i want to change some things so i'm waiting for that SDKv2. (I'm not going to waste time writing things in SDKv1 if version 2 is on its way) and i would like to see that Athom keeps us updated..

On a critical note...

I just don't understand that time after time Athom keeps missing there own deadlines.

I'm working at a software company so i know what's it like to deliver software to customers. It is not easy, and shit happens sometimes and deadlines incidently can be missed. Of course an unexpected bug can be found a employee can leave of get sick priorities change all the time. Software development is in general taking one step back to set 2 steps forward its a painful artistic process and its hard to keep in sync / touch with your user base. 

Even so, from the delivery of the hardware to nearly all the software updates that followed, Athom is always a couple of weeks behind there expected deadlines. Its more a pattern then an incident. And even worse in those weeks there is nearly always radio silence..Even that great software update topic that was going strong for a long time with a weekly update is started to skip weeks lately.

And then i wonder...  At some point there should be a moment that as a company you find a system that works and then you should be able to make realistic deadlines and stick to them. The fact that Athom has this focus on expending there clientele to outside the Netherlands when clearly they haven't have there internal processes under control is worrying.
    Same goes for external communication. If you decide not to react to much on your forum, and just open one topic to keep everybody up to date about the software status, and you promise to write an update every Friday. That's fine, that's clear. But if you make the promise to write an update every Friday stick to that promise.   

I like homey, i like Athom but there are clear stress marks on this company and that worries me..
  • I guess you missed the closing note of week 49?
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/39742/#Comment_39742

It is communicated and don't see it as a problem.  
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    Well, not every Friday but every two weeks... And though I understand why your saying this about the deadlines (Even though I knew better I went to buy a lot of Ikea stuff a month ago already), we also know Athom by now :# And And to be honest, they're just over a month late on their own predictions now and three weeks ago @Emile let us know what caused the delay, the Zigbee developer leaving the company...

But indeed, sometimes it's frustrating but you can't expect everyone at Athom to drop their tasks to work on an update, not everyone is a programmer but there's also people working on marketing, AI etc...
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited July 2017
    Rebtor said:
    I know 1.5.0 is a big update. And i know patience is a virtue. And in general I'm a very positive homey user so this message was not meant to be negative in any way. I just have written / changed some apps i use with my homey and i want to change some things so i'm waiting for that SDKv2. (I'm not going to waste time writing things in SDKv1 if version 2 is on its way) and i would like to see that Athom keeps us updated..

On a critical note...

I just don't understand that time after time Athom keeps missing there own deadlines.
    1.5 is released in DP as promised two weeks ago. For now it looks good beside some bugs and zigbee that isn't working. Releasing it in experimental is a big risk for Athom because there are a lot of people (that are no developers) using experimental for stable releases. This why, as seen with big updates before on the forum  (see topics about 1.3 hitting experimental)  Athom is cautious with releasing a new release to experimental with known bugs and zigbee that isn't working good. 

Next to that, Athom didn't made any promises for 1.5 to hit experimental or stable on a date. They said "most likely" in the latest update from Emile to release it past week, most likely is no hard promise.

Homey v1.5 will most likely be released to the experimental channel next week. To see what's new, read the mailing we sent to all developers and the What's New page.

Source: update 21-7-17

• Since I am always keen to new versions of my software, I was also refreshing the firmware-page a lot to check if 1.5 was already released. I also work for a software company, so I too know the problems with incidents and deadlines.
    When the update says 'will most likely be released next week', I know it can still be delayed. But it would be nice to have an update about it then. Just explain a little about why the release is delayed and what the expectations are. Delaying a release and explaining is less worse than not knowing anything at all.

Besides that, keep up the good work!  :)
    edited July 2017
    Amelsfort said:
    When the update says 'will most likely be released next week', I know it can still be delayed. But it would be nice to have an update about it then. Just explain a little about why the release is delayed and what the expectations are. Delaying a release and explaining is less worse than not knowing anything at all.
    Well they do this every two weeks in the bi-weekly update. When they would have communicated a hard date or week for releasing 1.5 to experimental they should explain why it's delayed but for now they will release it maybe this week or come with more information this friday in the new update. 
  • AmelsfortAmelsfort Member
    edited July 2017
    Amelsfort said:
    Well they do this every two weeks in the bi-weekly update. When they would have communicated a hard date or week for releasing 1.5 to experimental they should explain why it's delayed but for now they will release it maybe this week or come with more information this friday in the new update. 
    But even if they just mention it as a 'maybe', it would be nice to give us a small update. In my work I also make estimates and communicate them to our customers. When I notice I'm not going to make it, I let them know.
    Even just a small message in the software topic like "We're not going to make it this week" would be nice. 
  • +1
    If you make a promise you can't keep, even not a hard one, it's so little effort to keep the people you promised happy by informing them.
  • +1
    If you make a promise you can't keep, even not a hard one, it's so little effort to keep the people you promised happy by informing them.
    Please also provide the promise they didn't keep , because "most likely" is no promise they broke but information that it could be. Any update will be coming next friday in the new update :) As we already know Athom will give more information every two weeks in the bi-weekly update so there they will respond to why the "most likely" became a no to releasing experimental and when developers (because it's meant for developers to adjust apps because it's a release with bugs/problems) can expect 1.5 in experimental. When they will give a date/week you are right then they need to inform when they pass this date / promise.

For more information about the why and what the problems are (i'm a developer preview user just like the people responded above with information) i will quote myself from a post above. 

lubbertkramer said:
    1.5 is released in DP as promised two weeks ago. For now it looks good beside some bugs and zigbee that isn't working. Releasing it in experimental is a big risk for Athom because there are a lot of people (that are no developers) using experimental for stable releases. This why, as seen with big updates before on the forum  (see topics about 1.3 hitting experimental)  Athom is cautious with releasing a new release to experimental with known bugs and zigbee that isn't working good.
  • swtttswttt Member
    I'd rather have them finishing up 1.5.0 then investing time in informing us :smile:
  • DaneeDeKruyffDaneeDeKruyff Member
    edited July 2017
    Well, I'm sorry for having such high standards. Thats just what I'm used to from others I buy products from and the company I work for.

And Bas, you yourself do find time to post information on the progress you make even for something that is not available to be used by the general audience yet, how much time does that cost you? And I'm very sure you are aware on how these little snippets are received judging the responses you get.

• adjuadju Member
    swttt said:
    I'd rather have them finishing up 1.5.0 then investing time in informing us :smile:
    True, but don't inform us about all the goodies until your really ready to release new firmware.
    And developers stay on slack, don't talk about apss in this forum that will only work on the new firmware.
  • swtttswttt Member
    @DaneeDeKruyff
    Actually the difference might be it's not my day job. For example i just updated my forum post, where i added the code yesterday already. For me it's something i like to do when having a small break at the office :smile:

I don't have to watch out for what i type, there aren't 2000 people reading my posts and using my apps. When i promise something, it wont hit me back hard. I don't sell anything, i just love to create something for the community.

So i do think for Athom writing an update takes more time then it does for me.

@adju
    A bit short sighted if you ask me. All other companies inform in advance when new things get introduced (best example is Heos informing users they work with Alexa in Q1 of 2017, and we are still waiting) You want to get people excited, and just show your creations etc.

And that last part, come on... Developers are creating apps for FREE for the community. Invest allot of spare time to create something YOU can use. Are proud of what they made, love to show it as well and do keep people informed about the progress. You kinda just flipped them the finger...geeezz

• adjuadju Member
    @swtt

Do you feel offended, I talked about apps that are only working on software that is not for everyone available
    So we only find out about the good stuff and apps after the new firmware is released.

And in my time users where informed when a new software update was implemented and in the same time
    the where informed about the new stuff. If you are informing users about new software and than wait a couple of months that is really frustrating.

edited July 2017
    adju said:
    @swtt

Do you feel offended, I talked about apps that are only working on software that is not for everyone available
    So we only find out about the good stuff and apps after the new firmware is released.

And in my time users where informed when a new software update was implemented and in the same time
    the where informed about the new stuff. If you are informing users about new software and than wait a couple of months that is really frustrating.

The new apps are BETA apps in the store or apps that are almost ready to be place in the app store made by the community developers, so that means they are not ready to use in a production enviroment just like developer preview/experimental is not meant for everyone that uses Homey at home as a production Homey. That's why most of us in developer preview have multiple Homey's to use. When 1.5 gets released the apps will be ready, when they got released dor  they didn't work at first, now they work.

Maybe show a little thank you as already told for the work a lot of us are doing so everyone is getting a good working Homey with working apps that are stable for when 1.5 hits stable. Just like every other software company or any other company you alsways see what you are going to get in the near future. (just take a look at Apple with iOS 11, Samsung with the Note 8, Google with Android O or Tesla with the Tesla model 3)

• swtttswttt Member
    @adju
    I indeed feel offended...I just worked for 2 - 3 weeks on Homekit, where indeed created a topic on the forum about. Informing users that i might be able to get it to work, and they can't test it yet because its written based on SDK2.

Lets keep it in the middle if Athom should inform about new features or not. Thats personal perference. I do hope they do, allways look forward to their updates, and can't wait on the new features. Once the new firmware is released i even go home earlier just to test, as happy as a kid that gets new candy.

But just the part of your comment that developers shouldn't post on the forum is short sighted and indeed kinda offended me (and i am sure if offended other devs as well). Take a look at the apps you use, and how many of them are created by community developers. All those apps aren't created in just a few hours. Most of them are even well maintained. And all of them are free.

You complain that developers creating those apps shouldn't post anything on the forum, because you can't test them or use them. Where you should actually be happy they created those apps in the first place...

With an attitude like that, i am sure no community developer will ever implement a feature you need/suggested...
  • @adju
    If you dont want to read incorrect things here (or on the internet in general) please stop reading at all <span>:sweat:</span>

You complain about things that others see as an advantage.
    People here are now able to read what is possible now as beta, as manually installed, or as things to look forward to.
    Thats how I see the posts.

Not sure if this is double info, but this is a community forum not moderated by Athom itself,  you can't expect everyone to follow your rules or preferences.

• All, I wanna thanks all developers for the great work. For me, as true beginner, you guys gave me a open system with a great community and lots of fun for me and my family. Once I saw the release notes of 1.5..... I can't wait anymore for a stable version. The problem is the large amount of great features in a single version....wow