This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

New Apple TV support?

I am obviously asking this question before Athom and most will be able to answer, but for those like me are too excited and watching the Apple event......... How's Athom's support for the new generation of Apple TV? Any apps planned? Integration?

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

Haha, we're watching the keynote as well. We'll have to see about that ;)

• BasPostBasPost Member
    edited September 2015

"Hey, Siri"
    "Yes, Homey. How can I help you"
    "Lets play a game"
    "Ok, Homey. Which one do you want to play?"

OMG, 2 devices talking to each other!!!

edited September 2015

BasPost said:
    "Hey, Siri"
    "Lets play a game"

Been there done that ;p https://youtube.com/watch?v=D8M54S63Xys

• Emile said:

BasPost said:
    "Hey, Siri"
    "Lets play a game"

Been there done that ;p https://youtube.com/watch?v=D8M54S63Xys

Haha and the birth of Homey!

• WoW Homey Server & AppleTv client......TOPPIE*****

• So... two months have passed, and the excitement has slowly ran out... but the question still remains! :)

• Wondering the same, Apple tv 4 is great. Hope Homey can work together with the new atv!

• I guess the tvOS app would follow soon after iOS, if Athom would even be interested in this path?

• I sure hope so too!

• BasPostBasPost Member
    edited December 2015

Indeed! I'm wondering the same, after the many delays, my setup has changed a lot since I pre-ordered my Homey. I've sold my macmini with Plex Media Server and Plex Home Theater (and nowadays Plex Media Player) and sold my Drobo FS, bought a dedicated NAS (i3 CPU!) with PMS and a Apple TV 4 with the Plex App. I have also upgraded the Philips Hue Bridge to Bridge 2.0 with Siri and Homekit (Thanks Sinterklaas!) and I have a Harmony Smart Control remote. Also my Domoticz setup is expanded a lot last months, thanks to the delays of Homey.
    I'm asking myself, is it worth waiting for Homey, the most it can do, I can do it already...

So, what can Homey offer me with my setup and Apple TV 4

• if there wont be a apple tv app, I sure hope that we are at least able to start a certain program on the apple tv with the homey.

• Perhaps i should add what i would like to control on my apple tv 4. Infuse, really great alternative for plex. Hope this is possible in the future :)

• I'm afraid that the atv4 is not able to be controlled by Homey..

As far as I can see, Homey should be MFi certified and/or AirPlay certified. This link tells more about the abilities: https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/

Once I received my Homey I will try everything to get it to work.

@Emile which Bluetooth version does Homey uses?

v4

• tommyjaytommyjay Member
    edited December 2015

@Reflow If I'm not mistaken, it has been previously mentioned that Homey won't be HomeKit compatible. I also remember Emile mentioning that he wouldn't want to personally 'hack' devices on behalf of Athom, which also leaves out the possibility of Homey working instead of the new Apple Remote. But I'm sure there would still be real benefit of integration!

• Hi @tommyjay, i'm not aiming at homekit right now, just to control my apple tv with homey and make it perhaps able to control Infuse or Plex on my ATV4. Since Homey uses Bluetooth V4 i'm going to try to get Homey to work with the ATV4 once i received it :)

• Reflow said:
    Hi @tommyjay, i'm not aiming at homekit right now, just to control my apple tv with homey and make it perhaps able to control Infuse or Plex on my ATV4. Since Homey uses Bluetooth V4 i'm going to try to get Homey to work with the ATV4 once i received it :)

+1
    I'm using my Apple TV 4 just for Plex, Netflix and Apple Music, hope to see Homey would work as a remote and connect some flow's with it

• @Reflow even though I have a first gen chrome cast, yesterday I ordered my apple TV 4, can't wait to get it. I'd also be happy for Homey to be able to control it, but the reason I mentioned it was because unless Athom finds a way to control the TV through an app on the TV, someone from the community would have to have a crack at it...

• ReflowReflow Member
    edited December 2015

Well at first, Homey is able to control IR tv's and devices.. You can control the Apple TV 4 with every third party IR remote so why not just learn homey to control it over IR first? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201856 I'm still interested to find out a better way to control it, but then again I have to wait until homey comes in! :)

• @Reflow Oh wow! This is actually news to me! Since I read that the new remote used BT, I guess I was ignorant and didn't realize that the new ATV still had an IR sensor! Thanks for the article!

• No problem that where this forum is made for! If we all stick our heads together I'm sure we can find the best way to control our ATV's with homey! Once I received my Homey I will investigate what's possible and see if I'm able to make an app to connect with the ATV4 over Bluetooth..

• Just got it in the mail today. I'm wishing you good luck on getting it to work! Can't wait to plug mine in! Now Just waiting on Homey! :D

• any news about this?
  • I am also curious