This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Multiroom recognition

Hello everyone,
I have a question for you. I would like to set something up but I don't know if it exists and if it can be done.
So I explain: I would like to speak to homey in a room and when it replies to me I would like homey to reply me in the room where I speaked.
For that I need in every rooms a microphone and a speaker but how to make the link with homey?

Thanks a lot for your help

Comments

• At the moment you need toget extra homey's. These can be link together to preform the tasks. It would be logical that the homey you talk to will be the one that responds.

External microphones/speakers are to developed yet for homey.

• Since you can talk to the homey app from places the homey is not, it should not be very hard to create an app that runs on a different device (listening to your voice) and let it control certain events.

• JeroenKleijnJeroenKleijn Member
    edited September 2015

You are correct. your comment reminds me:
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/1396/#Comment_1396

But that tread has no answer about location of the tablet/phone on the wall.

• p0ntsp0nts Member
    edited September 2015

I guess the easiest way to do that would be to just provide the location while talking to the homey.

Hey Homey, please turn the lights on in the bathroom.

Hey Homey, please close the curtains in bedroom1.

Would be a little expensive to buy multiple homey's when you can just do the above.

• would be cool to add any wifi/bluetooth/app on phone option to place in a different room then the real homey, but that is would have similar functionalities in sound and voice control.

• btwvincebtwvince Member
    edited December 2015

Can i attach a simple microphone to a bluetooth transmitter and connect these to Homey to use speech from an other room? Of course I'll have to say "Hey Homey can you turn the lights of in the x room"

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

No we've tried that and it worked like shit. Basically, because the trigger has to be heard by Homey, there's always a connection needed. And bluetooth voice quality is really bad, as it's made for telephones. Homeys microphones are a lot better.

A better option is to use an old smartphone with the Homey app continuously listening.

• Oke i still have some old smartphones. I will try that when i receive Homey :-)

• DaneeDeKruyffDaneeDeKruyff Member
    edited December 2015

Emile said:
    A better option is to use an old smartphone with the Homey app continuously listening.

Cool. Will you make sure that the app can be installed on older iOS versions then?

• Emile said: A better option is to use an old smartphone with the Homey app continuously listening.

Wow TOP ***** + Extra sensors * Ambient Light sensor,Proximity sensor,Motion sensor/
    accelerometer,Gyroscopen,Kompas.......

• I am an ios user myself but I think that an android phone would be better for this. It is cheaper and you can make it allot easier to listen and do other stuff.

• Perhaps it's an idea to let the Homey track your GPS and Bluetooth at the same time.
    So he makes a cross tracking to see if you are still in the building/house.
    Then if the answer of this cross tracking is Yes (in the house) the Homey microphone will be open on your APP.
    Perhaps it's possible to have the microphone in passive mode, until he reconize his callsign.

• Is it possible to speak to Homey via a PC/laptop? It would be handy when I'm in an other room.
  • thuijbers said:
    Is it possible to speak to Homey via a PC/laptop? It would be handy when I'm in an other room.
    Technically you can - that is how I've been speaking to the virtual cloud homey for the past few months :-)
  • MikeOne said:
    thuijbers said:
    Is it possible to speak to Homey via a PC/laptop? It would be handy when I'm in an other room.
    Technically you can - that is how I've been speaking to the virtual cloud homey for the past few months :-)
    That would be awesome :) I hope this is implemented by Athom.
  • Perhaps pairing a cheap bluetooth speaker to Homey like a 'car-kit'?
     I've bought a speaker for no more then E. 6.- . It has a microphone and a rechargeable battery embedded and can act as a car-kit as well. If i could pair it to Homey as such, in theory I would be able to talk to Homey from every room/floor, providing that the bluetooth signal is strong enough.

Problem is I lack the skills to programm such an app/function :(

• @MarcoWijk , Great idea, since it could (IMHO it should) be a general function to be supported from homey, so maybe the guys at Athom can program such a feature.
    The "carkit" (maybe we should call it home(y)kit o:) ) which receives the loudest command is the one who should response to start with (maybe can find a better way to detect in which room homey is being called).
    I hope they will add this to their feature list 

• blusser said:
    @MarcoWijk , Great idea, since it could (IMHO it should) be a general function to be supported from homey, so maybe the guys at Athom can program such a feature.
    The "carkit" (maybe we should call it home(y)kit o:) ) which receives the loudest command is the one who should response to start with (maybe can find a better way to detect in which room homey is being called).
    I hope they will add this to their feature list 

If someone would create this, then it would be easy for Homey to figure out where the command came from since the input source would be known. The bigger problem I see in this is a) connectivity - I don't think that generally BT speakers like these work well in a house, maybe to the next room but not further... b) quality I have a BT shower speaker and whenever I tried answering a call I got on my phone through it, the other person couldn't hear me. I literally had to yell till the walls echoed and my head started to hurt for them to even hear me, and c) power - this would take enormous power both from the speaker itself (which can be plugged in of course), but still it would be 24/7 recording, listening and communicating and Homey would have to 24/7 listen to multiple sources for "OK Homey".. I like the idea, but I think it has lots of flaws.
  • JhaverkortJhaverkort Member
    edited February 2016
    How about you create 'mini' homey globes with a microphone you can plug into a room wall outlet (cord or direct) that connects over WiFi or something directly to the primary homey. Would make the Homey product really really stand out against any competition.   a true whole house solution.      if the module's were atleast 1/3 of the base Homey module price it would buy it definitely for my whole home.
This discussion has been closed.