This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Wallmounted tablets

Comments

• djeskodjesko Member
    0burner0 said:
    djesko said:
    did show it on Slack before but here is my setup 

Wow that looks slick!! How did you made it? What wallmount?
    A friend did a Woods frame for my Xperia tablet,  the cable goes thru the wall.. 
  • Hi guys - a related question: what do you guys think about leaving tablets / phones plugged in for 24x7?

One always hears those scary stories about folks who leave their adapters and phones plugged overnight, causing serious fires. I never know what to believe about these stories; is this a myth of does this actually happen?

So I'm quite curious about how you guys feel about this topic? Did someone look for research proving (or disproving) these myths? I tried to Google some of these things but I only seem to find odd news articles without much credibility...
  • casedacaseda Member
    I don't mind having a 24 7 charging cycle. 

It Is all about the quality of the plug adapter and the cable.
    If that is bad, then I wouldn't try it at all.

It's about the same for every electrical device, some people leave it on standby 24 7 for 10 years without any issues. 
    Some have it burned when they switch off the device fully when not in use after 1 year.. 
  • Nice pics and solutions. Is there a possibility to open HomeyDash directly when using the tablet? for example: Open a tablet without password, and homeydash automatically pops up?
  • swtttswttt Member
    Ha, @Rickydehaas if you find a solution for that...let me know :smile:

From day 1 i was hoping to turn it into some kind of universal remote, a tablet that has QI charging...a QI charger under the coffee table...and a tablet just with the homeydash UI (and disabled anything else).
  • DaneeDeKruyffDaneeDeKruyff Member
    edited July 2017
    Easy, make it work on an iPad, use the Apple Configurator 2 to make it supervised. Put it in kiosk mode and allow only safari, add homeydash to the whitelist and block all other urls. And get an QI pad to plug unto the iPad ofc.
  • swtttswttt Member
    Would that work with apps as well? <span>:open_mouth:</span>
  • Absolutely.
    You can just download Apple Configurator 2 to your Mac and play around with a new profile to see what can be done, you don't need an iDevice connected when playing with it.
  • JBSJBS Member
    edited July 2017
    I am using Fully Kiosk Browser https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.ozerov.fully&hl=nl on my Android tablet. Works fine. Fullscreen, locked to HomeyDash URL (with password if you want) and with motion detection to turn on the screen.
  • JesperJesper Member
    I'm looking for an android tablet with a dock/stand with charging capabilities with the tablet in horizontal orientation. Preferably wireless charging. I want to use that tablet as default for Homeydash but will also want to have the option to use it for other things if necessary. I will make some kind of tasker event that when the charger is connected that it should open up Homeydash.

Does somebody have the solution for me because I couldn't find anything suitable on the internet.
  • JBS said:
    I am using Fully Kiosk Browser https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.ozerov.fully&hl=nl on my Android tablet. Works fine. Fullscreen, locked to HomeyDash URL (with password if you want) and with motion detection to turn on the screen.
    Maybe it is my tablet, but homeydash loads realy slow ( 110 seconds)
  • swtttswttt Member
    @0burner0
    Ye inital load is slow...something that will be improved on the new version :)
  • swttt said:
    @0burner0
    Ye inital load is slow...something that will be improved on the new version :)
    Chrome was slow but the Kiosk browser is real slow :)

• Hello people!

I like to share my solution for a wallmounted tablet.. It's not completely finished yet, but it's working great so far.. The only thing that I need to do is decorate the whole thing nicely.

I have used: 
    LG G Pad 8.3 (rooted and installed Android 7.1.2)
    A bit of wood
    4 magnets (Bauhaus)
    A wireless charger
    A wireless receiver with micro USB
    A wall socket with USB (stripped)
    Some screws
    A bit of glue

Total cost; €75,- for the tablet, and around €25,-  for the rest of it, as most of it comes from AliExpress and the Action

I had 2 wallplugs in my wall, and have replaced one of them with a usb charger and made it completely into the wall as you can see in this image:

The bad thing was that these sockets where not located in the middle of the wall where I wanted to mount the tablet, so I had to build a big(ger) frame to mount the tablet too, so that the whole thing looks a lot better imho when it is located centrated on the wall.

After mounting the frame, I placed a wireless charger behind the surface, and made 4 strong magnets to the furface:
    I bought a thing that can make any divice with microusb charging wirelesly and installed it on my tablet, with 4 metal 
    stickers on it aswell:

The result?
    A wall mounted tablet wich will charge wireless and can be used as normal tablet aswell as you can click it back very easy due to the magnets.

About the Tablet istelf:

I have done some tweaking to create the best experience..

Offcourse, I have used Homedash (0.0.19) as interface for Homey. But I have also used a combination of IFTTT and Macrodroid. The screen goes automaticly on when I'm home, and turns off when I'm not in the livingroom. I created a flow like this; 

The modus is automaticly triggered by this flow:

In the IFTTT app on my tablet I configured that when Homey triggers the IFTTT action, it will enable bluetooth on my tablet.. Why?
    In the app macrodroid (wich is a very nice alternative for tasker) I have configured; "If bluetooth is getting enabled, turn on screen" I have also done this the other way. So Homey will trigger IFTTT to disable bluetooth when everything turns off in the living, and Macrodroid will turn off the screen.

Last but not least 2 other apps I have used on the tablet. The first one is Fully kiosk browser wich is a great fullscreen browser for Android. The other one is Cornerfly that gives the interfase nice rounded corners as you can see in the last image of my tablet in this post.

2 things left; I am waiting for my silicon case for the tablet, so you don't see the metal stickers and the wireless receiver anymore, and I will paint the whole thing a nice color.

I hope I have given some of you some inspiration to build your own tablet to wall solution! Please let me know if you have any questions..

Cheers!

1.jpg 95.3K
    2.jpg 159K
    3.jpg 100.8K
    4.jpg 51.7K
    5.jpg 121.3K
    6.jpg 70.2K
    7.jpg 114.2K
    8.jpg 202.3K
    10.jpg 203.2K
    11.jpg 181.2K
    12.jpg 467.2K
    13.jpg 221.6K
  • swtttswttt Member
    Wow, really just WOW.

Never thought about replacing a socket with USB socket (still have one laying around from busch jaeger :open_mouth: )
    And then the magnetic placement....wow...how "locked" in place is it?

Amazing creativity!
  • Awesome!!! I Like the wireless charging part.

do You know if You could buy some rfid tags and run an app on android that recognize a tag and then notify homey who entered.
  • viktorviktor Member
    edited July 2017
    @quakerix
    Maybe is working with ibeacons and owntracks: if i have a ibeacon on my key ring and on the tablet is runing the owntrack app then say hi "user" and set presence to "true" when i'm moving through?
  • viktor said:
    @quakerix
    Maybe is working with ibeacons and owntracks: if i have a ibeacon on my key ring and on the tablet is runing the owntrack app then say hi "user" and set presence to "true" when i'm moving through?
    That would be cool. Then I don't need a keybad and tags to turn off the alarm. Just this android tablet at the door
  • viktorviktor Member
    I'm using ibeacons in the opposite way now: i have ibeacons in the garage, office, sleeping room, living room and garden and starting flows when i'm near with the smartphone.

Going to try/test this with my ruuvi tags and the nvidia shield maybe.
  • swtttswttt Member
    Still hoping to do some testing with a simple bracelet with BT. Would be nice to build an OS for the RPI Zero that gets settings from homey on boot, and sends data back on detection of the bluetooth devices (defined by settings). This way you can create an allmost out of the box solution that works with literally any bluetooth device.
  • EternityEternity Member
    edited July 2017
    Just need to get a simple hidden wire to power the tablet :-)
    The actual tabel is rotatable with a Vögel tablet mount.

• swtttswttt Member
    @Eternity
    Time to try out the HomeyDash beta tho <span>:open_mouth:</span> improved allot (if that pic is recent tho...)
  • @swttt

No, that is an older picture :-)
    The article was published in Computer Idee number 10 in april, but the pictures (and text) are older...Januari!  

• There's no charger (yet) since this ipad is roaming the house anyway. 

I used MagBak: https://1lss.com/
  • Another Imperihome user. I use both frontends (Imperihome and Homey Dash) and am so looking forward to the integration of Homey as a system in Imperihome. I will probably remain using both, but add an icon in both interfaces to be able to open one another.
  • Priknr1Priknr1 Member
    edited August 2017
    Hey Guys, Wanted to share my sollution too.

At first I wanted to make an RVS "sleeve" to put in a tablet and mount it to the wall, since I have a family member being able to make this at work. But I ordered an amazon Fire 7inch tablet on amazon.de for €31!!! and it was looking smooth enough without any buttons on the front. So I decided to just put it up like that.

With the tablet came a charger and a usb cable, the place I wanted to mount the tablet had a socket, so I decided to build a tablet holder from that socket.

First of all, I got myself a power plug. I drilled 2 holes in the side, in which the USB-charger would fit. I connected the powerpins, and fixed the usb-charger with glue and tie-wraps. 

than added velcro (klittenband) so i can attach and deattach the tablet.
    I cut off the plastic on the usb-micro plug and bend it 90 degrees backwards, so you barely see the powerplug sticking out the tablet. (last pic is a bit dark, but it shows the usb-plug)

• B3rtB3rt Member
    cheap solution to mount tablet very nicely and easy removable for only a few euro's:

• Wow Looks really great!
  • B3rtB3rt Member
    edited August 2017
    Cost only 3,95 @ https://bestel.nl/iholder-smartphone-en-tablet-houder

I ordered via there facebook page  (just send them a private message):
    https://www.facebook.com/aosmartsolutions/?fref=nf