This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Wallmounted tablets

Hi,

I have been looking for the perfect wallmount for tablets for a long time, but it's really hard to find something that looks good and doesnt cost $400

So I'm looking for something thats "in-wall" mounted, where you can hide all cables and make a permanent thing out of it.

Have any of you come across these mounts at a affordable price?

Comments

• RuudvBRuudvB Member
    edited May 2017
    If by "in-wall" you accept breaking a stone wall or break (a little) a drywall system, then you can easily use standard power boxes of 50mm deep. 2-3-4 of them will house all/most components I guess, use an extra box to create an extra power socket and you are "future proof"

Cost should be 5-10 euros, depending on how fancy you want to take this. For most of us braking up walls is not a real option... When building or renovating, this is THE option to consider.
  • What about having a small wooden shelf where you have a little gap for a powerbank? 
  • Share some pics if anyone did this! It's on my roadmap as well.
  • No problem cutting out of a wall to make some space for it.

I was thinking something like these:
    https://www.iwalldock.com/products/iwalldock-fixed-for-ipad
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-4-In-Wall-Mount-for-iPad-2-3-and-4-/272643731339?hash=item3f7ad52f8b:g:eDAAAOSwT6pVsfXR

Now I just need to find something for Lenovo 7" tablets as well!
  • RuudvBRuudvB Member
    Ahh... you want the whole tablet to be built-in.... Thought you only wanted to hide cables and other stuff. 
  • RuudvB said:
    Ahh... you want the whole tablet to be built-in.... Thought you only wanted to hide cables and other stuff. 
    In my opinion it looks way better when its all hided and it actually look like it belongs there :-)
  • wilkelwilkel Member

Ik heb het als volgt opgelost. (even in het Nederlands)

Ik heb een pvc-plaatje genomen ter grootte van de thermostaat en het tablet. Op dit pvc-  plaatje heb ik de thermostaat gemonteerd. Het pvc- plaatje aan de muur vast gemaakt op de gaten waarmee de thermostaat aan de muur zat. Dus geen extra gaten in de muur.

De voeding van het tablet zit bij de verwarmingsketel. De  kabel verlengt met gewone stroomkabel en deze door de elektriciteitsbuis van de thermostaat naar de woonkamer gebracht. Aan deze stroomkabel heb ik de usb-stekker weer gesoldeerd.

Met wat reepjes pvc heb ik een schuifsysteem gemaakt zodat ik het tablet makkelijk uit de houder kan schuiven. Het schuifsysteem zit met dubbelzijdige tape aan het tablet.

Kost wel wat huisvlijt, maar kost een paar euro en functioneert prima.

Tablet is een Archos oxygen 80.

• RuudvBRuudvB Member
    edited May 2017
    wilkel said:

Ik heb het als volgt opgelost. (even in het Nederlands)

Ik heb een pvc-plaatje genomen ter grootte van de thermostaat en het tablet. Op dit pvc-  plaatje heb ik de thermostaat gemonteerd. Het pvc- plaatje aan de muur vast gemaakt op de gaten waarmee de thermostaat aan de muur zat. Dus geen extra gaten in de muur.

De voeding van het tablet zit bij de verwarmingsketel. De  kabel verlengt met gewone stroomkabel en deze door de elektriciteitsbuis van de thermostaat naar de woonkamer gebracht. Aan deze stroomkabel heb ik de usb-stekker weer gesoldeerd.

Vernuftig opgelost! Helaas zit mijn thermostaat niet op de plaats waar ik de tablet wil hebben...

Nu nog een haakse USB stekker :)
  • wilkelwilkel Member
    edited May 2017

Nu nog een haakse USB stekker :)
    Die had ik gekocht en wel zo eentje die aan beide kanten te gebruiken is. Ik moet hem allen nog monteren.
  • wilkelwilkel Member
    Om het verhaal af te maken ...........
  • jovinkjovink Member
    Nog even een tip voor iedereen die niet van solderen houdt. 

http://www.tablethalterung.de/tablines-tnt001-wandeinbau-usb-netzteil-fuer-tablets.html
  • TedTolboomTedTolboom Member
    edited May 2017
    Gents, can we switch back to English so the topic starter can be able to understand the answers which are provided to his question? Thanks!
  • RuudvBRuudvB Member
    wilkel said:
    Wow! Really looks good :)
  • RuudvBRuudvB Member
    jovink said:
    Nog even een tip voor iedereen die niet van solderen houdt. 

http://www.tablethalterung.de/tablines-tnt001-wandeinbau-usb-netzteil-fuer-tablets.html
    Also a very nice solution! I should have used more dry-walling.... :(
  • JulianJulian Member
    I went creative with MDF-wood and some paint:

• @Julian Nice! you charge it behind there as well?
  • JulianJulian Member
    Yes, it was a shelf similar as the one below it but put in a wooden frame, behind it is a charger cable which goes to the charger. You can see just left from 'Samsung' the connection to the tablet. 
  • RebtorRebtor Member
    Have tot writen that interface yourself or is it An Homey app?

• jovinkjovink Member
    Rebtor said:
    Have tot writen that interface yourself or is it An Homey app?

There's a homey app
    https://apps.athom.com/app/com.swttt.homeydash
  • WillemWillem Member
    @Julian, @Rebtor
    Just wondering about those pictures in this topic. Looks really great!.
    It's the Beta version I assume, because the stable version from the app store, doesn't look so good?
    I managed finally, reading the instructions about that 'bearer token',  to install the stable version on my tablet, but see no nice Icons or possibillity to scale or edit the butttons. So I can only switch some Hue lights, see my Nest Thermostat temperature and that's it. 
    Sadly, I have no progamming skills at all, so I'am not sure if it's safe for me to install the Beta version, to get more options. I don't want to mess up things here. Should I, as a average user,  better wait for a new stable version? 
  • wimpywimpy Member
    same here, would like the homey dash to develop a little faster.
    Maybe something for homey itself to take over and give us a nicer interface for the wal mounted tablets.
    Would like my tablet to look like that from julian as well
  • swtttswttt Member
    Didn't meant to hijack the topic, but felt to respond tho :smile:
    It might feel like development on homeydash stalled a bit, but on the background i am reworking the whole thing. (for reference, the current version is something that i have been working for 10 months on.)
    Future released make it easier for the community to create widgets for it (or plugins).

Have to say that the current beta isn't having allot of issues. You can install it trough the appstore and make it look like above pictures.

Now back on topic, where can we find some good wallmounts? :smile: 
    Still itching to buy a sDock for an ipad, but like the prices of the amazon tablets as well (could place them all around the house)

• wimpywimpy Member
    swttt said:
    Didn't meant to hijack the topic, but felt to respond tho :smile:
    It might feel like development on homeydash stalled a bit, but on the background i am reworking the whole thing. (for reference, the current version is something that i have been working for 10 months on.)
    Future released make it easier for the community to create widgets for it (or plugins).

Have to say that the current beta isn't having allot of issues. You can install it trough the appstore and make it look like above pictures.

Now back on topic, where can we find some good wallmounts? :smile: 
    Still itching to buy a sDock for an ipad, but like the prices of the amazon tablets as well (could place them all around the house)

I know it must be a lot of work to develop something like the homey dash, and would like to thank you for all the trouble. Meant to say that it feels like the homey interface is just not finished especially compared to the zipato app.
    But back to topic I just bought a konig holder for only 14 euro's which is pretty flat on the wall and accepts up to 10 inch tablets.
  • wimpywimpy Member
    easiest way is to buy a tablet cover that completely covers the back, cut off the front piece and screw it on the wall, very flat and you still can take it out.
    https://www.tabletcenter.nl/product/773136/targus-clickin-hoes-ipad-pro-9-7-air-2-1.html
    just an idea?
  • BarryBarry Member

I just use this.
    Okay, you don't built it in a wall, but you can easy hang your tablet or phone on a wall.
    I have done this, and you easily pickup the tablet when I would use it on the caugh.
    You just need to drill 1 little 5/6mm hole. 
    And I have built in usb Power sockets.

• wilkel said:
    I think that the thermostat in this situation wrong measurings give, about the tablet heat.
    but it is an nice solution
  • djeskodjesko Member
    did show it on Slack before but here is my setup 

• djesko said:
    did show it on Slack before but here is my setup 

Wow that looks slick!! How did you made it? What wallmount?
  • ChicoChico Member
    Thats looks very nice :)

• My project :)
    1.JPG 49.3K
    2.JPG 59.4K
    3.JPG 59.7K