This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey app

Is the home app voice control only or also with buttons?

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

The Homey app will also have visual controls, yeah ;)

• jovinkjovink Member

Great. Maybe it was a stupid question, but you never know :)

• Voice commands while in public places is a stupid thing imho

• jovinkjovink Member

Do you all ready have a preview of the app? :)

• jovink said:
    Do you all ready have a preview of the app? :)

• ReflowReflow Member

@Emile, I'm curious as well how the app looks like, perhaps you have some more detail screens which you can show to us :)

• honeyhoney Member

Hi Reflow,

Please check this, this will give you an idea about the GUI (it is super cool): http://essay.utwente.nl/67146/2/BO_Derksen_Ivo_05-15_Public.pdf

• ReflowReflow Member

honey said:
    Hi Reflow,

Please check this, this will give you an idea about the GUI (it is super cool): http://essay.utwente.nl/67146/2/BO_Derksen_Ivo_05-15_Public.pdf

Hi Honey, That's à lot of information which I didn't know of yet, but is it really actual? I mean it's from 2014 and most of these pictures are sketches how it's suppose to be looking. Perhaps @Emile knows more about it :)

• honeyhoney Member

As I can see they pretty much followed this GUI guideline when they created the interfaces we can see on the published videos and screen shots, etc. So I see no reason why they would not follow it when it comes to the app. I guess now the main focus is on the core interface. They will also need to meet the requirements of the appstores. However I agree with you it would be really nice to get a more comprehensive update particularly on the software side. Something beyond the hue and streaming. A complex flow with many devices (infrared/blinds/thermostat/dimming) and triggers (advanced time triggers/temperature/illumination/motion). If these are not in place any app would be useless.

Ps.: I love the widget concepts.

• No screenshots of the iOS or Android app?

Nope, we're actively working on that.

The lights card looks like this (for now):

• Nice!
    Great work.

Is this a card inside the app or (for Android) on the home screen (widget)?

This is inside the Homey app! We're not planning on making android widgets.

• ReflowReflow Member

Great work @Emile looks good, do you think the app is done when the first batch will be shipped?

I'm afraid not @Reflow. But we have a pretty good webbased fallback!

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited July 2015

@emile
    Ivo's paper shows allot of icons, is athom going to share all the icon and such with the community/developers?

For example:
    We have a itho ventbox for central house ventilation. The box has 4 ventilation modes (speed 1,2,3 and 10 min speed 3).

It would be great if i can create an app/card for this box and i can use the ventilation icons for that.

If you create your own driver, the icon will default to the system's icon for that device class (fan in this case). You can overwrite that with any icon if you'd like.

If it's a device that more people might have, you can ask Ivo to design an icon for your app! We want to keep everything uniform so that it looks great.

• honeyhoney Member

Lovely! A bit sad about the scrapped widgets. However I hope we will have at least toggle widget so we don`t have to open the app to eg.: control the blind. Do you plan to make some sort dashboard layout so to have a visual interface on a wall mounted/recessed tablet? This would allow users to change temperature, scenes etc and get a nice visual status feedback...

I have some ideas for a tablet interface, but we'll have to see if we have time for that!

• honeyhoney Member

Of course it is a busy time for you. There are more important things to sort out. I was just curious if it is in the pipeline somewhere. Glad to hear it is there. Planning to have a recessed nexus 7.

• Where is the webbased fallback hosted? On you're servers, or on the Device itself?

On Homey itself, and you can access it through our server's proxy.

• honeyhoney Member
    edited July 2015

Might sounds like a stupid question: Can we access the web based UI from a remote location (e.g. while on holiday), or we must be on the same wifi/local network?

You can access it from anywhere! :)

The url will look like https://homey-12345abcde.athom.com/manager/mobile/

• Great, that means i can access it directly by wifi @home and through the proxy when i'm not @home(y). Probably already ask before, but nevertheless, specific port and security?

Port 80, and SSL security (https) when using our proxy.

• Stupid question: is it password protected? And are we forced to change te password on first setup?

It's even better: you link your Athom account to a Homey. You will then be the owner of that Homey.

From there you can invite other users to access that Homey as well.

• Has been said before, some time ago, but a direct connection, without using the Athom servers, from outside (internet) is still possible with the right open ports? I hope?
    And is this direct connection SSL secured?

• RobinVanKekemRobinVanKekem Member
    edited July 2015

honey said:
    Of course it is a busy time for you. There are more important things to sort out. I was just curious if it is in the pipeline somewhere. Glad to hear it is there. Planning to have a recessed nexus 7.

I'll create one then :-D
    It'll be a nice project for me.