This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Factory reset/default possible?

Am I correct in asuming that it is possible to reset the Homey to factory default values?
It's easy to think about trying to create something (app) or make a mistake with wifi settings, resulting in an unresponsive or unmanageble homey.

With that in mind...how do I have to invision the authentication process in my local wifi? Do I need physical access to homey or do I need to tell it what wifi SSID it needs to connect to?

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

Yes, you can reset Homey to factory values. We aim of course to do not make this nescessary due to a crash or Wi-Fi credentials change.

To set it up to your Wi-Fi, you need to be in the neighbourhood with another Wi-Fi device.

• So I connect my laptop peer-to-peer to the device or do I connect it via USB from my laptop so I can set it up?
    NFC and then Bluetooth to setup trough the mobile phone would by a very nice users experience imho

See http://setup.athom.com/ ;)

NFC + Bluetooth is something we'd like to support, but not for now as it takes some effort.

• I understand. Nice work.

• Most of the WiFi products without a display work that way. My Omni 10's does the same.

• @Emile: will the factory reset/default be a true and FULL factory reset? Especially for those of us that will try and change settings using shell access.
    The reason I ask is there are quite some devices that forget some (or more) settings or files (e.g. no full diskdump, but only overwrite some files).

edited June 2015

A factory reset wipes everything on the 'user' partition. You do not have shell access however, so you can't really mess up anything that bad ;)

This discussion has been closed.