This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

few questions

Hi there,
I pre-ordered a homey a few months ago (I was to lat for the kickstarter campaign!) and I have a few questions that I could not find the answers in the forums.
1- I would be interested in getting the arduino shields and lib that was included in the geek edition. Will that be possible at some point? Will you sell those?

2- How easy will it be to control product with a REST api? For example I am currently working on a arduino project to close and open my blinds. It will have a wifi connection and will create a REST api to control it. So will it be easy to control it with homey and include in a wake up routine of sort?

3- How easy will it be the teach new tricks to homey? For example I have a nexus player at home. This thing is controlled by a Bluetooth remote and also my harmony at the moment. Lets say homey doesn't support nexus player out of the box will I be able to teach him how to control it?

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    1. You could've also selected them in the pre-order. If you still want them, shoot an e-mail to stefan@athom.nl to change your order.

2. Integrating REST api's are really one of the more easy ways to add support for a device. You'd write a driver that tells Homey 'Hey, I've got blinds here' and then Homey takes care of them (for example in the flow editor for your wake up routine).

3. That completely depends. It's not like Homey is intelligent so it just knows how to talk to a device, it really needs an app for that.

• alexis101alexis101 Member
    edited May 2015

Thanks for the answers.

1- Just went back to the order page. I did not see the option when I ordered. Now that you told me I found it. I will send an email.

2- Cool. So In that case blinds are a category of products. And in my driver I need to create predefined functions. Such as open and close and what API calls control these function?

3- I see. I never worked really with Bluetooth. Is it do-able to decode the commands? A bit like infrared. I know its not the same at all since Bluetooth needs to establish a connection before. But I was wondering how can someone found out what is exchanged between the remote and the device when I click Play for example. (will do some research but I thought I asked since i was here :) )

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    1. Yep. Read the docs when they're online about how to make such a driver :)

2. Mirroring bluetooth is not gonna work that way :) Someone needs to write the driver by hand first.

This discussion has been closed.