This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Support for 433mhz temperature sensors

I have homewizard (hw=domotica system) for years and then i fell in love with homey...
I only can leave my earlier love (hw) if the new love (homey) can al least the same or more than the other. 
So it is not only the looks that count... :-)

Anyway, i use the hw for lights, temperature and energy monitoring. The last category is not that import for me at this stage, but the temperature sensors are very important and are the only reason now that i start the hw app every day.

In the homewizard it is possible to have 5 temperature sensors, which are shown in their App and from which you start triggers or scenes when temperature drops. 

The sensors are mostly from weather stations. But you can also buy them for small prices a piece. See eg the homewizard website or search the web.

Does homey support those and is there someone who can make an app for that?

The new weather sensors are 868mhz and have 2 way communication and communicate when the battery is low. Can these also supported?

Comments

• did you look in the app store ?

• yes, almost every day ;-)
  • This is a picture of the thermometer 868, the 433 thermometer looks like that. 
    From that 433 type you have one with 3 port and one with 5 ports. In my house i have 3 with 3 ports an 2 with 5 ports.
    So 5 sensors are the maximum. I don't know if that is alos the case when you have the 868 sensor. But i only have the
    433 mhz

• Thanks, but according to its notes it seems it is not getting in the appstore

Notes:

• This app is not supported.
    • Signal reception/Machester pattern recognition in Homey is flakey. Hence a lot of signal transmissions are not received by Homey.
    • There is no plan to submit this app in the Athom App Store.
  • https://forum.athom.com/discussion/1448/how-to-cli-install-method

You can just install the app according to the CLI install link above.
    For me it works perfect.
    Does the app not what you want, then just remove it.

• This was exactly my story. The app mentioned doesn't work for me. it did detect de sensors but it never updates them. eventually i did pull the plug on my HW!
  • tim1990 said:
    This was exactly my story. The app mentioned doesn't work for me. it did detect de sensors but it never updates them. eventually i did pull the plug on my HW!
    If i ask the temperature or humidity directly to Homey it giefs the correct values. To update them to a variable dont seem to work but it IS recording the correct values in Homey.
    Smartwares thingie like picture above.

• Correction: Update to a variable also works!
  • That non-app store tool is not working perfectly. I have identical device types. One works on channel 3 but th exact same model on channel 2 doesnt work (range is next to Homey). From the comments this has to do with the chip in Homey which is acting flaky with some of the signals on the 433. I also have 868 models but none work.
  • Hello,

I have some Ventus 044 temp/hum sensors. The work both in Nodo and Domoticz (rflink) on 433Mhz using the Alecto V1 protocol. Is it correct that your app does not support this protocol? The app says not temp sensors found while there are 2 active.

With kind regards,

Remco
  • Only the Cresta/TFA and OregonScientifc protocol are supported at the moment. I don't have any Alecto devices to test. But I did find a good protocol description, so it is a matter of adding the signal definition and the decoding logic.
  • @RamonBaas you are really a boss ;-), what athom did not deliver uptill now you did. Just installed the github version added a device and bam worked at the first attempt. (Cresta tx-320). Now hopefully someone will make an app for the flamingo smoke detectors and my homewizard can leave the building

• @wingie Good to hear it works for you  :) BTW: just did a small update, so you could do a `git pull`.
  • @RamonBaas just tried this but get an error so will just download the zipfile again. ;-) 
    com.weather-sensors-master Wingleader$ git pull
    xcrun: error: invalid active developer path (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun

• @RamonBaas ;
    (when) does that app become available in the app store?
  • @Pils from the notes it wont:

• This app is not supported.
    • Signal reception/Machester pattern recognition in Homey is flakey. Hence a lot of signal transmissions are not received by Homey.
    • There is no plan to submit this app in the Athom App Store.

• @jtebbens ;
    i know the notes, i wrote them allready in this post. But after that people say it works and you can install it yourself.

i Would rather not download it and install that way. So the question remains: why can this beta not become available in the app store if it works allready a bit
  • because ( i think) when you add a app to the store theuser expect it to be supported en work propperly. And that's not the case.

He just created it for himself and is willing to share it as it is!
  • wingiewingie Member
    edited October 2016
    @RamonBaas i've updated to the latest version on github but now it won't recognise my sensor anymore. In the settings from the app i've enabled the cresta / TFA checkbox but homey doesn't find a sensor. 

Edit: i've rebooted the homey but same result, with the previous version it worked out of the box
    Edit2: and suddenly it appears maybe due to polling once in x minutes or so? 

• @wingie Indeed if you change the settings these are not applied until the app restarts. I'll add that it works right after changing a setting.
  • @wingie: code has been updated.
  • RamonBaas said:
    Only the Cresta/TFA and OregonScientifc protocol are supported at the moment. I don't have any Alecto devices to test. But I did find a good protocol description, so it is a matter of adding the signal definition and the decoding logic.
    @RamonBaas Any luck so far? Have a few alecto sensors, which i'm looking forward to integrate with Homey :smiley: 
  • @MarcoWijk As you made me curious about the Alecto protocol I bought a WS-1100 (cheapest Alecto I could find). However, the reading from this sensor give 47 bits of data. I'm not sure if it is the same as the sensors you have. I'm able to decode the data now, but it is not according to the Alecto protocols I find on the web.
  • RamonBaas said:
    @MarcoWijk As you made me curious about the Alecto protocol I bought a WS-1100 (cheapest Alecto I could find). However, the reading from this sensor give 47 bits of data. I'm not sure if it is the same as the sensors you have. I'm able to decode the data now, but it is not according to the Alecto protocols I find on the web.
    Ramon,

I have never looked into the protocol myself, but I now that the Nodo and rflink (domoticz) project support a Alecto V1, V2 and V3 version. Your WS-1100 weather station is working on V3. My Ventus W044 is a V1 device. The Cresta tx-320 is a ? device.

More info on the Cresta sensors: http://members.upc.nl/m.beukelaar/Crestaprotocol.pdf

There are also sniffers available: http://www.nodo-domotica.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1872&start=10

I you would like me to test or sniff something, please let me know.

Gr. Remco
  • @RemcoHannink Thanks for the information Remco. The Nodo sniffer has some useful code (was still looking for the CRC). Will check next weekend if I can complete Alecto v3.
  • Was already able to add Alecto v3 today, now included.
  • @RamonBaas Really cool that your trying this!! Alas the Alecto V3 doesn't pick up the signal of my devices :disappointed:  i'll keep a close eye on your github. It would be supercool  if  it would work. :grin: 
  • @RamonBaas ;

Ik installed the app also. To add all my sensors was a bit tricky because It first only recognised 1. The others i had to force to give a signal by unscrewing them, removing and adding the battery. So ik would be nice to also manually add a device and fill in the port. 

But after a while i managed to install all of them. And they worked good, and it looks nice too. Great Job!

I have a problem with the range though, but i think that has noting to do with your app. Al the sensors worked, when in  the living room. But when i installed one of them outside (again) and 2 upstairs on the second floor those did not update anymore. These sensors are also in my homewizard, and that app stil gets the data of all of them. So i think it is a range problem of Homey. I have emailed athom about that problem (and some other danfoss lc13 problem i have) and they asked for a log. Keep you informed
  • @RamonBaas I took a look at the app.json and i noticed there is no data in "sof": [], is that intentional? I'm a bit of a doofus in codes... :blush:  so it could be a stupid question.