This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Support for 433mhz temperature sensors

Comments

• @MarcoWijk I believe you would need support for the v1 Alecto protocol. I could try to add this based on the spec, but I cannot test it. I would rather be able to test it myself - that makes the development much easier.

Regarding the sof (Start Of Frame), that is not required in this case. For the v3 protocol the data is all regular 0 and 1 bits. For the v1 it would be benficial, as that has a separate sync bit at the start of the message.

@Pils: Best thing is to wait a couple of minutes when the app has been installed. Then you can see in the app settings page which sensors have been found. They usually transmit ~ once a minute. When you remove and reinsert the battery, it will send the message right away. The signal recognition for weaker signals still needs to be improved in the Homey firmware.
  • Ramon,

I tried your new code, but with the Alecto V3 protocol enabled, it still does not pickup my Ventus W044 sensors which use the Alecto V1 protocol.

Gr. Remco
  • Ramon,

I tried your new code, but with the Alecto V3 protocol enabled, it still does not pickup my Ventus W044 sensors which use the Alecto V1 protocol.

Gr. Remco
    Yes, that makes sense.
  • Can someone with Alecto v1 sensors try out this branch: https://github.com/nlrb/com.weather-sensors/tree/AlectoV1RemcoHanninkMarcoWijk). It doesn't decode anything yet, but I tried to create a signal definition based on the spec. Curious whether it recognizes the signal or not. Run the app with '--run' and make sure Alecto v1 is turned on.
  • RamonBaas said:
    Can someone with Alecto v1 sensors try out this branch: https://github.com/nlrb/com.weather-sensors/tree/AlectoV1RemcoHanninkMarcoWijk). It doesn't decode anything yet, but I tried to create a signal definition based on the spec. Curious whether it recognizes the signal or not. Run the app with '--run' and make sure Alecto v1 is turned on.
    @RamonBaas sorry to say no luck on my wd10. not sure on which version it's running. perhaps version 2 :blush: 
  • @MarcoWijk It was a long shot that this would work straight away, but thanks for trying. I'll need a real sensor to get it to work (or someone else needs to contribute the code). Not sure what sensor you have, but Alecto v2 operates on 868 MHz, see http://www.nodo-domotica.nl/index.php/Weergegevens_Meten.
  • @RamonBaas Then it's V.1 it operates on 433mhz. Thanks for trying though :wink: 
  • @RamonBaas,

How can I check out this branch? I can only check out the master, Iam not that good with git. I will try this code with my Ventus W044 sensors.
  • @RemcoHannink In (Tortoise)Git you can use 'Switch/Checkout...' (command line `git checkout <branch>)` or you can just download the files through GitHub in a zip.
  • RemcoHanninkRemcoHannink Member
    edited October 2016
    @RamonBaas I ran your Alecto V1 code inside my Homey and waited a few minutes. The debug screen shows no incoming messages.......
    MacBook-Pro-van-Remco:com.weather-sensors-AlectoV1 remco$ athom project --run
    ? Select active Homey: Homey @ 192.168.1.187:80
    1/4 - Archiving...
    2/4 - Uploading to Homey @ 192.168.1.187:80...
    3/4 - Running `com.weather-sensors`, press CTRL+C to abort...
    4/4 - Debugging...
    -------------------------------------------------
    15:27:21.444 Signal alectov1 registered.

• @RemcoHannink & @MarcoWijk Thanks for trying. If someone is able to catch the signal (api('POST', '/manager/microcontroller/record', console.log)) and provide the timings let me know.
  • Hey guys. It's great to see this kind of development on these wireless sensors but I do sense the application is kinda eating a lot of memory. I only turned on the Cresta portion (others are turned off) and its sitting at 200MB memory on Homey. Other apps are maybe 15MB but yours is 10x that size.

• jtebbens said:
    Hey guys. It's great to see this kind of development on these wireless sensors but I do sense the application is kinda eating a lot of memory. I only turned on the Cresta portion (others are turned off) and its sitting at 200MB memory on Homey. Other apps are maybe 15MB but yours is 10x that size.

Search the forum about memory usage. The memory usage you see in the system tab is the amount of memory that is reserved by the application. It is not the actual usage.
  • jtebbens said:
    Hey guys. It's great to see this kind of development on these wireless sensors but I do sense the application is kinda eating a lot of memory. I only turned on the Cresta portion (others are turned off) and its sitting at 200MB memory on Homey. Other apps are maybe 15MB but yours is 10x that size.

Search the forum about memory usage. The memory usage you see in the system tab is the amount of memory that is reserved by the application. It is not the actual usage.
    I was looking at the developer graphs not the system tab, but they show the same usage, wasn't aware it was on reserved memory and not the actual usage.
  • @jtebbens I also noticed the high memory usage - it starts at ~25 Mb and can grow to over 300 Mb. When I asked on Slack the response was that this is 'normal'. I'm not to sure it is normal, but I also cannot see what in the application would use all that memory (i.e. what would need to change). The app should not use much memory at all. I believe some changes to app memory usage are coming up in 0.10.8, so let's wait for that.
  • RamonBaas said:
    @jtebbens I also noticed the high memory usage - it starts at ~25 Mb and can grow to over 300 Mb. When I asked on Slack the response was that this is 'normal'. I'm not to sure it is normal, but I also cannot see what in the application would use all that memory (i.e. what would need to change). The app should not use much memory at all. I believe some changes to app memory usage are coming up in 0.10.8, so let's wait for that.
    Yeah exactly. Thanks for your response.
  • Small update on the weather sensor app. Just pushed an update to the AlectoV1 branch.
    • Code has been completely refactored. This makes it easier for the garbage collector to claim back memory. Hence you won't see such a high memory usage compared to before.
    • I've added the La Crosse protocol & support for UV sensors.
    • There is a 868 Conrad protocol in there, but unfortunately it doesn't work. This is due to a) inability of Homey to properly receive 868 OOK signals and b) these weather sensors don't stay within the 868 range (e.g. mine operates at 867.8 MHz, which is outside of the range Homey is configured for).
    • I've checked the AlectoV1 protocol and the timing definition is correct. So why people can't receive data (in debug mode) is unclear.
    • I've found a nice repository of signals, which should make it easier to add support for other signals (https://github.com/merbanan/rtl_433_tests)
  • Just tried to install the alecto V1 version, but the app keeps crashing.
    Now installed the master version. That runs, but hasn't found anything yet.

Can I test anything for the alecta V1 version?
  • @ArenBreur Keeps crashing? Can you send me the error? You need the AlectoV1 branch to test that protocol.
  • 3/4 - Running `com.weather-sensors`, press CTRL+C to abort...
    (node:5324) DeprecationWarning: Calling an asynchronous function without callback is deprecated.
    4/4 - Debugging...

Error: invalid_signalId:LaCrosseWS
        at new Signal (/homey-app/various/rf.js:46:12)
        at registerSignals (/app.js:34:18)
        at module.exports.init (/app.js:80:3)
        at /bootstrap.js:211:19
        at nextTickCallbackWith0Args (node.js:420:9)
        at process._tickCallback (node.js:349:13)

--- INFO: com.weather-sensors has been killed ---

Stopping...

• @ArenBreur Oops, thanks, fixed!
  • @RamonBaas ;
    And it's running.
    now just wait and see

thanks for the quick fix

• @RamonBaas ;
    After running 12 minutes it crashed :  
    2016-11-13T15:52:41.374ZAppsManager: crash"com.weather-sensors"

It didn't find anything, maybe 12 minutes is to short, some devices send only once every 15 minutes.

• hmmm,  
    2016-11-13T16:12:31.344ZAppsManager: crash"com.weather-sensors"
    2016-11-13T16:02:53.995ZAppsManager: ready"com.weather-sensors"
  • When selecting only one protocol, it doesn't crash ;-)

with only alecto V1 on, it ran for a half hour without finding anything. (domoticz sees a few)
    La crosse TX3 as only protocol, after one hour nothing found (domoticz sees one)
    Alecto v3, nothing after a half hour ( domoticz sees v4)
    Oregon v3, nothing after a half hour

I will leave it on alecto v1 for the night.

• @ArenBreur I've got multiple protocols selected and it doesn't crash. So curious so see the crash log.

If you turn on AlectoV1 you need to run it in debug mode (turn debug on in the code and run with --run), as there is nothing implemented regarding decoding that signal. So it won't show in the front-end.

Range is still an issue with Homey, so the sensors shouldn't be to far away. I am able to receive the different protocols though.

• @RamonBaas ;
    I ran it in debug mode . it found nothing but it did crash.
    22:50:51.090 [cresta] 71 {"type":"Buffer","data":[1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,0]}
    22:50:51.099 [cresta] 16 fffefffefffeff1e false 31
    22:50:51.104 [cresta] Error: Not a valid Cresta message
    22:52:01.089 Received payload for Cresta / TFA
    22:52:01.089 [cresta] 48 {"type":"Buffer","data":[1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0]}
    22:52:01.090 [cresta] 12 fffefffeff00 false 31
    22:52:01.091 [cresta] Error: Not a valid Cresta message
    22:52:36.181 Received payload for Cresta / TFA
    22:52:36.202 [cresta] 86 {"type":"Buffer","data":[1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,0,0]}
    22:52:36.206 [cresta] 20 fffefffefffefffeff00 false 31
    22:52:36.209 [cresta] Error: Not a valid Cresta message
    22:55:30.942 Received payload for Alecto v1
    22:55:30.948 [alectov1] 37 {"type":"Buffer","data":[1,1,1,0,0,0,1,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,1,1,1,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,1,1,1,0,0,0]}
    TypeError: Cannot set property 'protocol' of undefined
        at WeatherSignal.parse (/node_modules/utils/index.js:34:25)
        at Signal.<anonymous> (/app.js:43:15)
        at emitThree (events.js:97:13)
        at Signal.emit (events.js:175:7)
        at /homey-app/various/rf.js:23:19
        at /homey-app/helpers/client.js:1:1013
        at Array.forEach (native)
        at process.<anonymous> (/homey-app/helpers/client.js:1:982)
        at emitTwo (events.js:87:13)
        at process.emit (events.js:172:7)

• @ArenBreur Great! You did receive an AlectoV1 message, so the protocol definition does seem to work. Let me see if I can make sense of that sequence and add some decoding.
  • RemcoHanninkRemcoHannink Member
    edited November 2016
    Ramon,

I ran your latest AlectoV1 plugin, it crashes directly after finding an AlectoV1 sensor.

08:48:28.777 Received payload for Alecto v1
    08:48:28.782 [alectov1] 37 {"type":"Buffer","data":[1,1,1,1,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,1,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,0,1,0,1,1,0,0,0]}
    TypeError: Cannot set property 'protocol' of undefined
        at WeatherSignal.parse (/node_modules/utils/index.js:34:25)
        at Signal.<anonymous> (/app.js:43:15)
        at emitThree (events.js:97:13)
        at Signal.emit (events.js:175:7)
        at /homey-app/various/rf.js:23:19
        at /homey-app/helpers/client.js:1:1013
        at Array.forEach (native)
        at process.<anonymous> (/homey-app/helpers/client.js:1:982)
        at emitTwo (events.js:87:13)
        at process.emit (events.js:172:7)

Gr. Remco
  • Ramon,

Deze code uit Nodo ken je al?

* Technische informatie:
     * Message Format: (9 nibbles, 36 bits):
     * Format for Temperature Humidity
     *   AAAAAAAA BBBB CCCC CCCC CCCC DDDDDDDD EEEE
     *   RC       Type Temperature___ Humidity Checksum
     *   A = Rolling Code
     *   B = Message type (xyyx = temp/humidity if yy <> '11')
     *   C = Temperature (two's complement)
     *   D = Humidity BCD format
     *   E = Checksum
     * Format for Rain
     *   AAAAAAAA BBBB CCCC DDDD DDDD DDDD DDDD EEEE
     *   RC       Type      Rain                Checksum
     *   A = Rolling Code
     *   B = Message type (xyyx = NON temp/humidity data if yy = '11')
     *   C = fixed to 1100
     *   D = Rain (bitvalue * 0.25 mm)
     *   E = Checksum
     * Format for Windspeed
     *   AAAAAAAA BBBB CCCC CCCC CCCC DDDDDDDD EEEE
     *   RC       Type                Windspd  Checksum
     *   A = Rolling Code
     *   C = Fixed to 1000 0000 0000
     *   D = Windspeed  (bitvalue * 0.2 m/s, correction for webapp = 3600/1000 * 0.2 * 100 = 72)
     *   E = Checksum
     * Format for Winddirection & Windgust
     *   AAAAAAAA BBBB CCCD DDDD DDDD EEEEEEEE FFFF
     *   RC       Type      Winddir   Windgust Checksum
     *   A = Rolling Code
     *   C = Fixed to 111
     *   D = Wind direction
     *   E = Windgust (bitvalue * 0.2 m/s, correction for webapp = 3600/1000 * 0.2 * 100 = 72)
     *   F = Checksum
     \*********************************************************************************************/