This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Reinstall device after updating app

How do you know if you need to remove and re-add a device after an app has magically updated? I read in some threads that you need to do this to get new functionality, but it's almost never mentioned in release notes.

Comments

• It's always a good question. The rule I use is: when it doesn't work after an update, re-add the device :smile:
  • TheoDeKoningTheoDeKoning Member
    edited October 2016
    Athom and app developers* have to mentioned that in front of updating an app of Homey  is they know that on forehand.
    You needed to un-pairing those devices first from Homey.

https://forum.athom.com/discussion/2080/kaku-remember-devices-have-only-6-memory-places-some-get-wasted-after-deleting-devices-or-setup

* Edit.
    Thanks Bas. ;)
  • It's not only Athom's apps but also community-apps...
  • It's mostly when app developers add new functionality that they didn't think of at first, or didn't have time to create yet, or if new functionality is available on Homey.

For example, when I first developed the Onkyo receiver app, there wasn't any info yet on mobile cards. Later on, it was possible to add a mobile card to turn it on/off, change the volume, etc. Because it was not possible to add a mobile card to an existing device but instead it had to be setup while pairing, you had to remove the device, in order to have that functionality.
  • It is a learning process for all of us.
    If you counter a problem you let it know so the next time we all can benefit from that.
    The only thing what I worry about that this info is lost in al those treads. 
  • would be great if it was mentioned in the release notes or even better in the notification center.
  • They can't hide this any more because we have bring it up now.
    All that good information is lost here in a volatile forum here is very pity.
    The search here is not that good to find if yourself.
This discussion has been closed.