This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Why does Homey seems to be offline outside my home wifi network?

JonJon Member
edited April 2018 in Questions & Help
Everytime I try to login to my.athom.com from outside my home's wifi network, my homey is unreachable. See attached screenshot, which I get, after succesfully logging in.
Similar thing occurs when using my (Android) homey app from outside my network; it does not show any devices!
How to solve this? Are others seeing this as well?

Comments

• Homey lost connection to the Athom cloud.
    You could ask for support of Athom, on Slack to see if it's an issue on Homey.
  • Only get this when outside network. Always so not occasionally. Is this a known bug with all of you guys? 
  • JonJon Member
    edited September 2016
    I indeed see now a message that I'm not connected to Athom Cloud. Why does this occur and how to solve it?
    Even after a full reboot, the disconnection still persists...

• but you dont have ports closed ? i ont know how homey makes cloud connectivity and how homey is reachable in the cloud. synology , homeseer hs3  also uses this technique.
  • maybe my experience is suitable for you
    i have a samsung s5 with the app installed.If my wifi is active on the phone,i can not connect,that is in some way understandable
    if i activate mobile information (mobile gegevens),i can not connect,so wifi and mobile info is active
    if i close wifi and only mobile information is active the connection is ok

• RobinVanKekemRobinVanKekem Member
    edited September 2016
    If I'm at home and browse to http://my.athom.com (while being logged in to athom) I get redirected to the internal IP adres of my Homey.
    If I'm not at home an browse to said website I get to log in using a token through the Athom servers.

However if I'm not at home and connected through a VPN tunnel, I'm redirected to the internal IP.

Hope this gives some insight on how my.athom.com works?

I have been investigating, with Athom, why my Homey loses it's connection to the cloud and it appeared that the 5min WPA2 re-key I have is crashing the wifi driver of Homey.
    I have a monitoring tool running which graphs the ping and HTTP GET response times and it was clear that Homey did lose the connection with my Wifi network.
    However although wifi connection was rebuild again, the connection to the Athom cloud did not.

This is currently under investigation at Athom.
    Also came to light that the send log was depending on the cloud connection, which it shouldn't.
    This will be resolved in a future update.
  • Same issue occurs once again... :( :(
    Homey unreachable while I'm not at home.....
    @Emile or @Robin or anyone else: how to fix this?
  • JonJon Member
    edited September 2016
    Kick. This issue stays pretty problematic as it renders my Homey totally useless when I'm not at home. I'd appreciate some useful feedback. Perhaps @Stefan
  • Is your homey on a static IP?
    I had some troubles with homey not being online on the net.
    Found out is changed IP, due to some updates of my router..

Just a thought

• Or maybe some kind of firewall settings?
  • If your homey is reachable when you are at home and not when you're outside your home network then there can be several causes. 

When you are using my.athom.com as the way to connect to your homey, then your homey might not be connected to the athom cloud. 

When you are also using my.athom.com to connect to homey when you are inside your own network, and this works fine, you have a problem with your own network setup. Traffic is being blocked. 

These kind of problems are hard to solve and mostly due to your own infrastructure . 

My homey is sometimes also unreachable , but that js because my wifi is not stable at that spot . The connection to the main router fails sometimes and as such no connection to internet. 
  • Give Homey a static ip by mac address and place him in the DMZ on your router.

Then you're 100% sure there isn't anything blocked  on your side. :smile: 
  • Yes, I always connect thru my.athom.com, both inside and outside my home network. 
    When outside the network, it does not connect regularly. So then the question is: how can I pinpoint what the matter is? 
    I have several other connected devices that I regularly connect to outside of my house, such as my NAS, my ip camera's, my Hue lights etc. All without any issue. 
    So then why would my router/modem sometimes decide to block my connection to homey. (Especially seen the fact that Homey uses a DDNS service!) 
  • Like  Robin wrote: It could be an issue with re-establishing connections.
  • JonJon Member
    edited September 2016
    So @RobinVanKekem from your story I can conclude that you have similar issues as I have? 
    Could you confirm that? And any update yet from Athom how high this issue is on their priority list? 

By the way:
    I'm getting so frustrated with Athom that they just don't communicate *at all* on these types of bugs!! So we don't have the slightest idea whether or not they acknowledge that's something like this is indeed a bug and what is their solution or forecast to a future solution. We're completely in the dark... 
  • Jon said:

By the way:
    I'm getting so frustrated with Athom that they just don't communicate *at all* on these types of bugs!! So we don't have the slightest idea whether or not they acknowledge that's something like this is indeed a bug and what is their solution or forecast to a future solution. We're completely in the dark... 
    From this post me thinks u did do an email to support@athom.com and u did not get any response at all? Maybe u ask @Annemarie to have a look into this?
  • Jon said:
    So @RobinVanKekem from your story I can conclude that you have similar issues as I have? 
    Could you confirm that? And any update yet from Athom how high this issue is on their priority list? 

By the way:
    Solved and will be in a next update.
    All the bugs I had are solved or will be in s next update.
    Always communicated.
  • By the way:
    @Jon ;Did you file a bug at github ? @RobinVanKekem Is your issue on Github? It's not https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/815 is it? Cause that should have been solved with 0.9.3 already?

• In my specific situation the wifi driver crashes.
    No, it was not on Github
  • @Jon,

maybe you can try to connect your homey to another wifi network (for example at work of at you neighbours) to see if you still have this issue. If not, there must be something with your wifi/internet connection icm with homey.
    If you have, you can try another wifi accesspoint (with a seperate ssid) to connect homey to.
    if this works, the problem is with your current accesspoint.
    maybe there is a firmware update for your current wifi accesspoint/internet router.

if you still have the problem, I suggest you wait for next release (which would resolve the wifi crash according to RobinVanKekem).
    When you still have the problem with the next release, try the above again I suggest you open a ticket with athom with the results of your tests above.

just a few thoughts..

• JonJon Member
    edited September 2016
    @Annemarie I kindly ask that you read my thread above and please let me know if:
    - my complaint is known at Athom (as in: also occurs with other users)
    - if it's true like @RobinVanKekem mentions that the complaint will be fixed in the next update?
    (fyi: I filed my complaint together with log export ID with @Stefan on Sept. 6 and he replied me this:
    Bedankt voor het melden. Ik heb je probleem doorgezet naar onze technische mensen, die zullen eens kijken of ze wat aan je log hebben. We gaan het voor je proberen te fixen! Even een extra vraag: heeft jouw netwerk (wifi) op dat moment wel internet?
    On which I answered:
    Yup, ik kon wel gewoon een nieuwe app op de homey installeren. Wifi werkt hier als een tierelier.
    Het lijkt onregelmatig op te treden. Atm is het uitroeptekentje namelijk weer verdwenen.

To others: thanks for all your thinking along!! I'm just figuring: if wifi driver crashes how can it be that - when at home - I can connect to Homey flawlessly? If it was the wifi driver crashing, Homey would become completely disconnected and not only from outside my house network, right?

• For a short while it's disconnected like @RobinVanKekem said, after that it reconnects but doesn't reconnect to the Homey-servers...
  • Like @BasVanDenBosch says, the driver crashes and restarts but doesn't connect Homey back to the Athom cloud.
    That should be solved in one of (not the next firmware perse) the next firmware updates.

In my case only the WPA2 re-key process was taken a look at. Not all wifi driver crashes in general.

• JonJon Member
    edited September 2016
    Like @BasVanDenBosch says, the driver crashes and restarts but doesn't connect Homey back to the Athom cloud.
    That should be solved in one of (not the next firmware perse) the next firmware updates.

In my case only the WPA2 re-key process was taken a look at. Not all wifi driver crashes in general.

Okay, so it seems that it's the same as my issue, but only @Athom (@Annemarie) could verify with my log ID. Hope they will!
  • @Jon ; Thanks for mentioning me! (I did not get a notification so I'm sorry it took me some time to see this) I will hope I can answer you questions. Give me a minute to ask around. 
  • Annemarie said:
    @Jon ; Thanks for mentioning me! (I did not get a notification so I'm sorry it took me some time to see this) I will hope I can answer you questions. Give me a minute to ask around. 
    Thanks, I hope it'll help me!
  • okay here we go:

- Yes, its a known problem and we are working on it 
    - Yes this is true if you have the problem we now think you have, so please wait a little bit for the update. Get in contact with us if it is not solved after the update, but we are pretty sure the update will help you and people with the same issue! 
  • Annemarie said:
    okay here we go:

- Yes, its a known problem and we are working on it 
    - Yes this is true if you have the problem we now think you have, so please wait a little bit for the update. Get in contact with us if it is not solved after the update, but we are pretty sure the update will help you and people with the same issue! 
    Okay great. 2 Questions left:
    - is there yet an bug report for this issue on Github or else, if so, what's the link so I can follow updates on it?
    - is the fix planned for the next update or else, for which update?
  • - no, it was a support ticket. There are no updates anymore for now.
    - Yes for the next update.