This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Micro-crowdfunding for device support

EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
We had this idea a while ago, and I was wondering what your thoughts are on this.

What if we embed some 'micro-crowdfunding' on the App Store? So for example, Homey users A, B and C would like to see support for device X. However, Athom doesn't have the resources at the moment, and the device is relatively low on the 'to-support' list.

So, what if these users A, B and C all say "I'd gladly give € 10,- to see an app that supports my device X". One of them creates an 'App request'. A potential developer can read these requests as well, and can say "I'm going to build that app!". When Athom approved the app, and when the feedback of the 'backers' is positive, the money is released to the developer.

This helps us to create more support for more devices, which is our main goal, to connect everything. For backers, it's an incredibly cheap solution to add support for their (niche) devices. And for the developers, they can pay their rent by creating Homey apps.

What do you guys think? Would you use such a feature?

Comments

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited March 2015
    How do you guys see the responsebility for the code/app that was created by an third party?
    What if an firmware update creates an backwards compatibility issue? Will you guys fix the app/script or is that the responsibility of the developer?

Thirdparty apps will boost Homey's features, but it could also break Athoms name and app/driver/device/script reviewing also need team resources.

Micasaverde changed there name to GetVera ;)

Would you use such a feature?
    For now I will say "no".
  • AaronAaron Member
    Great idea!
    It will speed up development. This way non developers kan still contribute (with money) and for the developers it is (even more) interesting to develop apps.

Don't make it to expansive and no monthly fees.

greetings,
    Aaron
  • JonJon Member
    Probably yes, cause it sounds like a great idea to help more people out on diverse device support plus it will indeed generate more traction for both Homey and for the developer that will create this support.

But with the same thoughts as MarcoF with respect to quality of the app (upon release and in the period thereafter).
  • I like the idea, but whether or not it will work depends on how well it will be maintained I guess.
    As Aaron also said, the cost will be important, not a lot of people will want to pay big $$$'s or monthly fees. :)

A while ago, you said the device database would be incorporated into the App store.
    I guess we'd have to go there and check if a device is listed, and if not, request for an app to be made for it.
    How will we be able to now if it's on your 'to support in the future list' and at what position? If the needed app is almost at the top of your list, there won't be a need to make a request I guess. :)

And if the app is developed, and the people who made the request paid for it, will it be available for free afterwards, or will anyone who wants to use it in the future have to pay for it?

Interesting concept, but lots of questions for the moment :)
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    There are no monthly fees at all, see it as a mini-kickstarter. Developers are responsible for their own apps, we won't interfere with that.

When someone creates an app request, we have to approve it first. So when we're planning to add support ourselves, obviously we'll prevent that request from going live :)
  • I won't pay for a feature/scripts/app if there's a big chance somebody else or athom will pay for it or develope it.

The idea is good and some people will pay for it, but i won't.

What happens if i accept and project, develop 50% and travel to the other site of the world where i have no internet and spent the money on beer and hookers?!

Why would you guys take this risk? Less work, hopefully boost features,?,? , but the other side of the medal is unknown...

I won't take the risk
    A developer will only get the funds when we have approved his work, and the funders are happy as well.
  • ok, sounds like a tough job for the developer.
  • It's a nice idea ... for the FUTURE :)

For now stick to your main goal: creating, finishing and shipping a Homey that is able to connect everything. Secondary goal, actually connect everything (that is not already supported out of the box).
    As soon as Homey is released, and the initial support on unexpected problems is covered, you can start thinking about adding stuff like this.
    my2ct
  • Will it be possible to install/inject homebrew scripts/apps/device-support/etc or is the market the only place to be for installing stuff?
    You can install your own apps through de devkit, so you don't have to publish them. It makes sharing just a lot easier!
  • +1 _/-\o_

who can submit stuff for the market? Just Everybody, only Geeks or ... ?

Maybe i want to share "as-is" code/app/support without support etc. would that be possible?
    Everybody with a github account can submit community apps. There's a section for snippets and tutorials as we, so this is where non compete apps will go.
  • Qx5Qx5 Member
    I think it's a good idea and worth a try.
  • How are devices, which Homey doesn't support natively, be supported by developers?
    Developers can write a driver for them, and publish this as an app to the Homey App Store!
  • Ah, drivers are also apps then. Thanks. New to Linux scene...
    It's more of a Homey-thingy, not so much Linux. We're writing the developer guidelines as well, but to summarise: an app can do multiple things. React to speech, be a screensaver, support devices (through drivers), expose a mobile `card` and expose a Flow Editor card (when|and|then).
  • I see. So many things to keep in mind when deploying a device like this.
    It's hell of a work, yeah. Crazy fun though :D
  • It's a great idea!
    I know RISCOS Open uses a system like that to enhance the OS https://riscosopen.org/bounty/.

It would mean you have bounties which people can donate money for, if a developer thinks that he can do this part for the money given so far he can take the bounty. The developer is working for RISCOS Open and all code is also given to them.
    Future updates will have a working system as the code is incorporated in the main code.

The system works as follows: https://riscosopen.org/content/documents/bounties
    Cool, I didn't know that! :D
  • There is a similar system for all Github repos: https://www.bountysource.com
  • How would an app be a screensaver? For what screen would that be? :)
    edited April 2015
    For the LED ring! For example a Weather app would have a weather screensaver (yellow/orange when it's sunny, blue/white when it's raining), a stocks app that changes from red to green, etc.
  • Emile
    what happenned to this great idea for micro funding?
    ..now that Homey is up and running so wel,l and the App Store also good..could you not launch this initiative to even make it more popular?

...I am one of those users that would contribute upfront for an app to manage comercial but not so very popular devices I have...and I really think I am one of many 

Hope you get to read this 
  • SommoSommo Member
    MarcoF said:
    How do you guys see the responsebility for the code/app that was created by an third party? What if an firmware update creates an backwards compatibility issue? Will you guys fix the app/script or is that the responsibility of the developer? Thirdparty apps will boost Homey's features, but it could also break Athoms name and app/driver/device/script reviewing also need team resources. Micasaverde changed there name to GetVera ;) Would you use such a feature? For now I will say "no".
    Thats!
    If we successfully fund an app(athom approve it, and pay the developer), that correctly work on homey firmware X.xx.. and after that an homey update broke that app (often happen).. who garantee that the app will be updated/manteined ? For now i will only crowfunding like i said in another topic.. and like other ppl will do..for homebridge integration (not really an app for homey, but a way to control it by external hw/sw).. and i think that After all this long time, homey have to control the major device on market (like athom promise to do).. IR, wifi, zwave, zigbee, and generic http controllable device.
    generally speaking its a Great idea but need more garantee for the founders that pay (maybe athom could maintened these  apps founded cause they didnt spend time to create it)
  • Hi
    i guess those  worries is one of the main reasons this initiative has not progressed ..I think there are several ways to solve it (I.e: initial funding required to cover expenses for developing and maintenance for 3 or 4 years, athom covering maintenance for firmware related issues, having also a small yearly maintenance fee, etc)
    i my opinion the important part is that whatever it is that it is clear and written from the beginning so people know what they get into and then no complaints later
    i think it is always good for
    the homey community to have more ways to increase available apps as it means happier consumers

it must be my Sunday's energy rush 

• Why not make it a real store? Someone developing an app and is allowed to determine the price for the app (and Athom getting a cut for quality check, administration, keeping store available etc). Just like all the other app stores (Google, Ms, Apple...)