This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
GH

Google Home

2»

Comments

• phil_sphil_s Member
    indeed, the time runs again homey... but we will see
  • ReflowReflow Member
    Bumblez said:
    Not surprising in the least, but looks like Apple joins the fray as well...

http://tweakers.net/nieuws/111673/gerucht-apple-werkt-aan-concurrent-voor-google-home-en-amazon-echo.html

I'm sure the voice recognition will work fine(siri works awesome). But i'm sure it isn't going to support multiple protocols 433 836, z-wave etc.
  • I didn't saw them turning on lights and more of those control-stuff in their promotional film... Don't think they will support that. So that's one big argument that Homey is Google Homes Master!
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    I didn't saw them turning on lights and more of those control-stuff in their promotional film... Don't think they will support that. So that's one big argument that Homey is Google Homes Master!
    Well, there's quite a bit you can do without having all the protocols, with just a WiFi connection and support for other apps. For example, communication with IFTTT, Thermostats and Logitech Harmony will work just fine over WiFi. And  there are certainly ways to turn on/off the lights without having support for the specific protocols. It just requires a little detour, so it will be less flexible than Homey.
  • WeezulWeezul Member
    Bumblez said:
    I think the main advantage of Google vs Athom, is the large amount of money, resources and advertising they can throw at it. So Athom will have to do their best to keep up the development...
    And the main disadvantage that they generally dont want to work with competitors projects. I do not see Google integrating Spotify when there is Google Music, for example.

Athom and other smaller companies can win market by incorporating all the devices out there, not just a selection.
    Google plays well with others... They did exactly that (Integrate Spotify) with Chromecast... cant see why they wont do that with Home
  • WeezulWeezul Member
    edited May 2016
    Sommo said:
    Weezul said:
    Another big announcement at the IO was Google opening their natural speech API. Not sure if this is something Athom can use? More info: https://cloud.google.com/speech/ (As good voice recognition is the only big missing thing in homey for me). 
    So u only chat with homey and don't use any iot device, right? D
    Yeah, I just need a friend :smiley: haha :P I was lucky in that all my devices worked the first time around with Homey (With the exception of my Samsung TV and Plex, but for now I just call the API's from a self made home-automation system which I used before I had homey). So for ME that is the only BIG issue smile 
  • Weezul said:
    Another big announcement at the IO was Google opening their natural speech API. Not sure if this is something Athom can use? More info: https://cloud.google.com/speech/ (As good voice recognition is the only big missing thing in homey for me). 
    One HUGE advantage of this is that Google's speech recognition is COMPLETELY multi-language!
    If Homey will use it as its speech-to-text engine, I guess we'll be able to control it with any language we want... this would be just awesome.

• omriamos said:
    Weezul said:
    One HUGE advantage of this is that Google's speech recognition is COMPLETELY multi-language!
    If Homey will use it as its speech-to-text engine, I guess we'll be able to control it with any language we want... this would be just awesome.

I don't think that's the bottleneck for Homey. For each app, different keywords have to be written on which Homey relies (f.e. 'lights' for the lights in your house). These keywords have to be translated to each language, along with information on the flowcards, app store descriptions, etc.
  • Don't forget that the api is not free. Homey is sold without a subscription so it should keep functioning without monthly charges.
  • Google Speech recognition (GSR) could be separate app if Homey would support raw audio access. Then each user could opt-in to use GSR. Also keywords could be mapped to english for example.
    But I understand this is not high priority. For me it's important first all protocols are stable enough to be able to use Homey as primary automation device.
  • I just checked the IFTTT channel for Google Home and you can set multiple triggers as you can see below. Especially the "Say a phrase with a text ingredient" looks awesome. And since Homey is also connected to IFTTT they can both work together and you can use Google Home for speech (the speech of Google Home will probably be superior to that off Homey) and let Homey control all your devices (more protocols and apps).

• Nice idea @Jesper
  • Jesper said:
    I just checked the IFTTT channel for Google Home and you can set multiple triggers as you can see below. Especially the "Say a phrase with a text ingredient" looks awesome. And since Homey is also connected to IFTTT they can both work together and you can use Google Home for speech (the speech of Google Home will probably be superior to that off Homey) and let Homey control all your devices (more protocols and apps).

I have made a flow with IFTTT based on the above suggestion. I tried it with Google assistant in Allo since I don't have a Pixel nor a Google Home unfortunately. Is there someone who can test it with one of these devices?
  • PeaoPeao Member
    edited February 2017
     That sounds awesome! If you use the "Emulate speech"-Microphone Card you can simply switch to Google Home for voice with only one flow: IFTTT Trigger -> Emulate Speech with Ingredient.   Thats awesome! Much better than with Alexa and a additional Flow for every command .
  • Jeroenski74Jeroenski74 Member
    edited February 2017
    It works! See my post in connect Google Home to Homey https://forum.athom.com/discussion/2435/connect-google-home-to-homey#latest

;)
  • JesperJesper Member
    I now even have Homey notifications on my Google Home using Tasker and the autocast and autoremote plugins.

The delay in the action happening and the notification being spoken bij Google Home is 3-4 seconds most of the time. However sometimes it is between 10-20 seconds which I think is being caused by my phone which is then in some kind of power save state. Wondering if I could decrease that when using a dedicated tablet for domotica stuff which is always on and being charged.

Another cool thing is that you can choose the language which Google Home must speak when saying the notification
  • Google Home & Homey, I'm enjoying it a lot. Suddenly voice works as imagined. There's a world to discover. Are there more people using Homey with Google Home? Love to know & share experiences.