This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

NEEO, cool kickstarter project!

Hey guys,

Interesting project at Kickstarter! -> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1227115988/neeo-the-thinking-remote

Would be a cool addition to homey! Any idea if they will work together? If they do, would it be possible to have the homey app running on it's remote?

Comments

• ESPECIALLY the aspect of knowing who you are. I think it would be amazing if Homey would know who's at home, where everyone is (without talking to it) and adjusting scenes, moods, pictures in wallscreens to the person there.

On topic: NEEO would be a nice add-on on Homey, if it would run Homey I think. ;-) It's nice they support so many devices.
  • JonJon Member
    If I do a quick comparison, I'd rather opt for Homey. It has - apart from the recognition part - far less functionality imho. Neeo seems to be focused more on the AV devices and does not really support user friendly programming of home automation features. Or am I overlooking something here?
  • Emile, do you think that NEEO - The Thinking Remote could be a cool addition to Homey???

Jonathan,
    At first, yes I think that Neeo seems to be more focused on the AV section. They just published an update (#4) with some interesting strechgoals: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1227115988/neeo-the-thinking-remote/posts

- Become the architect with the NEEO API (a public REST API and' custom http)

- NEEO’s very own IFTTT channel

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    In what way would you see neoo as an addition? I am not sure if their remote with display is 'open', and their hub, well, can do everything Homey can as well :)
  • I didn't see that they also have zigbee and z-wave.
    With that integrated, I don't see it as an addition either.
    It's just 'the same' hardware so why would you want a Homey and a Neeo?
    I wouldn't mind a nice remote for the Homey though because asking homey to change the channel every single time will get boring pretty fast :-)
  • I have backed the NEEO. I hope to be able to use it as an interface to Homey maybe through REST. I don't like the idea to use an iPhone or speech as the main interface. For me a physical remote or a screen mounted to strategic places in my house work much better.
  • I understand, but now you are paying a premium price for a remote, no? Because you pay for hardware that incorporates BT, Z-Wave, Zigbee, ... and you won't be using all of that.
  • Also backed NEEO too, I'm hoping it's a marriage made in automation heaven ;-)
  • It would be a great addition for me to use a physical remote besides speech recognition and the Homey app to control Homey.

Speech recognition is awesome but sometimes (for example; when everyone in the house is still sleeping or during a loud party at home) for me the best way to control my house through Homey would be a physical remote that's always ready to be used instead of unlocking my phone and search for the Homey app.
  • +1

I've also backed NEEO with the intent to use it as a physical remote for homey (with homey doing all the clever linked up stuff).

Thanks, James.
  • NEEO just posted an epic update, part of which is there compatibility list, wow!

I really hope we can combine NEEO's power with Homey.

http://neeo.com/works-with-neeo/

I'm not impressed to be honest. They basically support a few wifi devices, Z-Wave and a lot of infrared. I've not found a device that Homey doesn't support yet :)

• Howdy Emile, I hope you're right, as I want Homey to be the centre of my setup!

That said, you've made an interesting comparison, as to me at least, NEEO seems to support an unbelievable amount of devices. When can I find the list of devices Homey supports as a comparison ;-)

They can throw with that number, because they basically support all infrared devices that are already supported by Lirc. We do as well, it's just not fair in my opinion to market it that way.

Next to infrared and Z-wave, their device support is not too good for as far as I can tell. And you're dependent on them to add new devices! Something history has proven does not always goes well.

• Agree, Emile... When do you guys plan to publish a more concise list of devices?

• @MarkSwift, Homey also supports 30.000+ devices I just read from @Emile post.
    J/K

MarkSwift said:
    Agree, Emile... When do you guys plan to publish a more concise list of devices?

The app store is almost ready for launch. From then on we'll publish Apps to the store, so you can keep an eye on it.

• MoekMoek Member

Emile said:

MarkSwift said:
    Agree, Emile... When do you guys plan to publish a more concise list of devices?

The app store is almost ready for launch. From then on we'll publish Apps to the store, so you can keep an eye on it.

Excited!!! Been refreshing apps.athom.com 10 times a day for the last couple of weeks :)

• @ Moek: It doesn't matter anymore, you can stop your automate refresh script from running ;-)

• MoekMoek Member

@PeterGroeneweg how come? It's still offline :(

• I love the NEEO remote. It seems like the have/had big troubles recognising people by the palm of there hand.
    An friends of mine orders NEEO and if it's working as good as the promise, I want to order one to use with homey.

• MichaelMichael Member
    edited August 2015

MarcoF said:
    I love the NEEO remote. It seems like the have/had big troubles recognising people by the palm of there hand.

I never saw that issue and I'm following them quite regularly :) The main issue they have right now it the NAND memory that gets corrupted after some time.

• I can understand why Emile is not that enthusiastic about the NEEO, because it's a straight competitor for Homey. And they are probably launching around the same time :)

Nevertheless I think they are really different products. NEEO is a remote, where Homey focusses on home automation. Up till now I think that it will be the ideal addition to my new Homey. The speech interface will probably be good but I'm pretty much convinced that most people will use other ways of interfacing with Homey.

There are a few options. One of them is the known Smartphone app. However this is not always the most convenient one. Pulling the phone out of your pocket, unlocking, starting the app and choose what you want is just to much steps to reach the goal. (Widgets in iOS can help, but not completely solve it)
    A watch app would be a great addition. However the performance is (still) pretty bad and (still) relying on the Smartphone.
    To get the best user experience ideally it would be a dedicated device. So I can think of two things that would probably make it into my home:
    A wall mounted panel with the most used features at hand like the Eneco Toon (I really like the new interface!) and a remote control thats just an arm reach away. The remote should be able to be programmed according to the needs of the home and that is exactly what NEEO does.

So I don't see the NEEO as a threat or competitor, but probably as a great addition to Homey and maybe with some collaboration in the future with more integration than we can think of right now.

Really looking forward to receive both :)

• @Michael:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1227115988/neeo-the-thinking-remote/posts/1248594

See the section about "Hand-recognition".

For me Hand-recognition is the (killer) feature to buy it. Hopefully the manage to fix it :)

• MarcoF said:
    @Michael:
    See the section about "Hand-recognition".

Sorry. I saw that one indeed. They don't mention it anymore in the actual status updates, so I assume it's fixed. :)

This discussion has been closed.