This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Homey API documentation (work in progress)

EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
I've made a start with the API documentation. It's far from finished, but will give you an idea already :)

docs.api.athom.nl/

There will be a right column, with many examples!

Comments

• Great!

Looked a bit into it and "found"this;
    Every app that wants to play media (audio, video) must be registered with the media manager. There can only be one registered media client at a time. When registering a new client, the previous client will be stopped.
    How do i read this? An app can only create one "stream" and multiple apps can multiple "stream", so on a rainy day i can cast an cozy fireplace movie to my TV and at the same time listen to my favorite Spotify playlist?
  • Is there an answer available for the question by MarcoF? I'm curious about this too. It would be very limiting the way I read it too.
  • Doesn't it also depend on the client?
    If you use Kodi for example you can't stream a video while already playing another audio-stream.
  • As I read it, it would depend on the implementation. I'd like as a minimum to be able to control multiple Spotify/Kodi streams on different systems. Mind you, I want to be able to use panels as changing paintings in my living room, with content depending on the person in that room. It talks about "one registered media client for THE media manager". That doesn't sound promising.
  • maybe "(work in progress)" means; no response untill its finish.
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    We're still figuring this out :)
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited January 2015
    ok,
    so for now it looks like only one client can register "itself" to the manager ?

So this means i can't have a cozy casting fireplace and an nice spotify stream at the same time?

Am i right? If so, then that doesn't "sounds" promising....

We're probably splitting audio and video, because video doesn't require any of Homey's processing. The question remains if Homey will be able to send different audio streams to different speakers, because we're limited by a few factors there.

Playing a fireplace and music at the same time is definitely possible, we do it in our office all the time :)
  • Dream: I have about 14-18 Sonos speakers in my house. I'd love to have some feedback to the different rooms where Domotica events happen....which is in every room. :-)

Question: Will homey be able to output custom sounds or text-to-speech for, say, one Sonos speaker at a time in a certain room? (I understand it can start Sonos play-commands from distance, but this is a bit different.)
    Yeah, all of Homey's outputs will be played through your speakers. So when, for example, you are in your room and say 'Hey Homey', the music volume lowers to about 10%. You ask something, and when Homey responds you'll also hear that on your 'music' speaker. The music then continues to play at the previous volume.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited January 2015
    so if i'm understanding it right;
    I have 3 sonos speakers (2 in the leaving-room and 1 in the study upstairs) and when i ask homey in the livingroom "Hey Homey, whats the outside temperature", Homey will stream the answer to all speakes and it will also be heard/streamed in/to the study?
  • @Emile: "all of the outputs will be plaued through your speakers", does that mean all at once, or can I control to which Sonos speaker the output goes in the visual scenario-editor?
    edited January 2015
    You can select which speakers to play to. They are grouped by zones (rooms).

So, what is unclear as for now is if you can play *different* streams to *different* zones. For example: justin bieber to zone 1, classical music to zone 2.
  • Things are going well i see;
    https://www.athom.nl/developers/
    This is a placeholder for the subdomain developers.athom.nl
    and

https://docs.api.athom.nl/
    results in a certificate error...
    NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID
    Yeah I know. The developers section is under heavy development, and we'll put everything online when it's done.
  • +1
  • MRLMRL Member

I'm want to learn programming for Homey. I understand that everything works under Javascript and i'm willing to learn that language. Any suggestions which book (in Dutch language) to buy to understand Javascipt? Do i need to learn anything else? (HTML, CSS, or...) to learn?

• @MRL You can start learning javascript at CodeAcademy no books required.
    http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/javascript

This discussion has been closed.