This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Speech output

thuijbersthuijbers Member
edited April 2016 in Questions & Help
When I let Homey say anything, it usually 'cracks' or pauzes in the sentence. Hard to explain, almost looks like the speaker is broken.
Anyone with the same problem? Couldn't find anything on the forum or on Github.

Version .29, set my Homey to Dutch

Comments

• BumblezBumblez Member
    edited April 2016
    try this:

https://www.ivona.com/

Select the voice that you have on your Homey, type in a sentence that you heard Homey say, and listen to what it says. Is it the same as what you hear on your Homey?

• Thanks, just tried that. When I play the same sentence it's fluid. On Homey it cracks and stutters.
  • I have the same, I can't seem to reproduce it on demand though. If I execute a speech command a few times, eventually it clears up. I'd say the crackle happens in 40% of the cases (although I use speech rarely, mainly because of this).
  • Same here.  It's usually only the first time when it has to say something.
    After being silent for some time, the problem occurs again...
  • edited April 2016
    That's exactly it - as if the voice isn't entirely awake yet.
  • When I receive a e-mail it says so, but then no problems. With other sentences it keeps cracking all the time.
  • same here.
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    edited April 2016
    This should not happen on v0.8.30 or higher.
  • Awesome @Emile!
  • Emile said:
    This should not happen on v0.8.30 or higher.
    Unfortunately, it does happen on .30  :(
    Hm, what's your average load @Fire69?
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited April 2016
    Emile said:
    Hm, what's your average load @Fire69?
    Don't think that's the problem...
    [0.46044921875,0.54248046875,0.6416015625]

As I said above, it only happens when it's been a while since it has spoken.
    I can make it read out entire pages without any stutter, but when it hasn't said anything for like 15 minutes (don't know the exact period) it stutters the first couple of lines.

Alright, thanks. It needs some warm up I suppose :-) We'll look into it!
  • I have the same issue, also on 0.8.30. Avg load is
  • I have the same issue, also on 0.8.30. Avg load is
    That's very high for .30...
  • Fire69 said:
    I have the same issue, also on 0.8.30. Avg load is
    That's very high for .30...
    I know. And I am not doing much with homey yet. Just a couple of hue lights, 433 sockets and a couple of danfoss thermostats which I have not used in any flows yet.
    Just checked, I have 13 flows and 15 devices.
  • I know. And I am not doing much with homey yet. Just a couple of hue lights, 433 sockets and a couple of danfoss thermostats which I have not used in any flows yet.
    Do you have any flows set up that trigger (eg update something) every second?
  • Bumblez said:
    I know. And I am not doing much with homey yet. Just a couple of hue lights, 433 sockets and a couple of danfoss thermostats which I have not used in any flows yet.
    Do you have any flows set up that trigger (eg update something) every second?
    Could be an app also.
    Maybe disable some apps you don't really need and see if that makes any difference.
  • No flows that update or trigger based on time. I only have flows for listening to certain stuff and a sundown/sunset flow which don't work.
    I only have a couple of apps as well.
    Just removed the Better logic app and that seems to make some difference:
    [1.1416015625,1.220703125,1.27099609375]

Now I only have the following apps:
    Hue
    Wiki
    Buienradar
    Action
    iCalendar to voice
  • I disabled all flows and all apps but that doesn't make a difference.
    I have a hunch it is the zwave devices. I'll try and remove them tomorrow.
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited April 2016
    @rob_houweling ;
    maybe a quick fix that will make it better: restart (NOT RESET) your z-wave chip from within the settings menu
  • caseda said:
    @rob_houweling ;
    maybe a quick fix that will make it better: restart (NOT RESET) your z-wave chip from within the settings menu
    Thanks, already tried that, makes no difference.
  • I've had the same problem since day 1. The speaker cracks and sounds broken, but not all the time.
    After a reset (turing homey up side down) it disappeared! I've never heard the "cracking" noise again since that reset. Version 0.8.29
  • We have had a lot of (welcome ;) improvement up to date, but I am experiencing this again now on Homey Firmware Versie: 0.10.3. Speech is set to Dutch. load av [1.138671875,0.96533203125,0.767578125] seems high to me? If I reboot it helps but only for 30min or so.  

Any ideas? Too many apps?
  • 'Why are you on 0.10.3? 0.10.7 is the latest stable since yesterday?
  • 'Why are you on 0.10.3? 0.10.7 is the latest stable since yesterday?
    Did not auto update yet, Homey is on 0.10.7 now.
  • We have had a lot of (welcome ;) improvement up to date, but I am experiencing this again now on Homey Firmware Versie: 0.10.3. Speech is set to Dutch. load av [1.138671875,0.96533203125,0.767578125] seems high to me? If I reboot it helps but only for 30min or so.  

Any ideas? Too many apps?
    I had disabled some late app additions and Homey speech works again. So it must have been a bad app taking too much resources. load av dropped back to 0.6 - 0.8 now.
  • I recently purchased a Homey and immediately encountered the crackling voice when it first greeted me. This disappeared shortly after, when it upgraded its firmware. It still returns occasionally, mostly for a short period after a reboot.

After playing with it for a while, as well as finding this forum thread, I realize the crackling is indeed caused by a (usually temporary) high load and, fortunately, not a hardware defect.

It did cause a somewhat disappointing first impression though. Ideally, Homey should not talk when load is too high or prioritize it sufficiently to avoid the crackling. Especially on that first boot.