This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Which flow is correct for talking towards Homey

Mostly I see two different ways people create flows to talk with Homey, I was wondering which one is the best:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5v3i0aoqa2dfnfz/Screenshot 2016-04-25 07.51.42.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2rvebrd04qsd8s/Screenshot 2016-04-25 07.52.10.png?dl=0

Can someone clarify why different ways are used?

Comments

• BumblezBumblez Member
    edited April 2016
    The first one, requires an EXACT match. Example:

- If [You said "Turn on TV"] then [turn on the TV]
    But this flow would not trigger if you say, for example "Turn on the TV" or "Turn TV on". So it it less suitable for parsing complete sentences (better for triggers that have 1 or 2 words at most).

The second one doesn't make a lot of sense, though, because it still requires an EXACT match, and still you're adding an additional condition (even though you know that condition will always be true). What WOULD make sense in that case, is to use

If [You said ANYTHING] and [text contains "Test"] then ...

So you could, for example, create a flow:
    - If [You said anything]  and [text contains "TV"] and [text contains "on"] Then [turn on the TV].
    That way, it would trigger when you say "Turn on TV", but also when you say "turn on the TV", "turn TV on", "turn the TV on", "TV on", etc.  (do keep in mind, that it would also trigger on sensences like "if the TV is ON, then please turn it off", though!)

• JulianJulian Member
    edited April 2016
    I posted this one on another topic, and better descibes what Bumblez means with the [You said anything]. This way you can use it in an sentence or just use the words (I have got an exact same flow but then with 'uit' to turn the lights off. Works really well for me.

• p0ntsp0nts Member
    thank you both! 
  • Julian said:
    I posted this one on another topic, and better descibes what Bumblez means with the [You said anything]. This way you can use it in an sentence or just use the words (I have got an exact same flow but then with 'uit' to turn the lights off. Works really well for me.

thankx,  the picture made it clear
  • would be interesting if you could replace 'words' to.

switch=turn, poweron=turn   so instead 'turn on the tv'  you could also say 'switch on the tv'
    and just keep  as keywords  'turn, tv and on'
  • RoelofRos said:
    would be interesting if you could replace 'words' to.

switch=turn, poweron=turn   so instead 'turn on the tv'  you could also say 'switch on the tv'
    and just keep  as keywords  'turn, tv and on'
    Yeah, unfortunately the Flow editor currently does not support 'OR'. So you would have to make separate flows for different combinations.
  • its more replace words,  instead of OR.
    was playing around with Tasker and Autovoice/autovera and discovered this option.  thought would be nice to see it in Homey too.
  • well, isn't that basically the same?  word=(switch OR turn OR power) ?
  • lol  yep you are right,
    Bolean expression but a little bit more advanced then what is possible at the moment.
  • The excessive amount of boolean flows we need to make in order to get flows with (basic) OR functionality,  calls for a quicker update on the flow-interface (i.e. grouping of flows), and also the ability to backup/restore flows/variables. ( @Emile )