This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Power consumtion measurements

Hello,

Is Homey capable to show power measurements from a Wattcher or Smart power meter and show it on the mobile app, web interface or on chromecast..

Jeroen Kleijn

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    We're looking into which smart meters to support. The wattcher cóuld theoretically be supported, but we're not sure if we're going to do that ourselves.
  • DSMR 5.0 is an "must have" for the dutch market!
  • DSMR 5.0 is an "must have" for the dutch market!
    And not only polling and display static figure, but some (historical) graphs would also be very nice! :)

• Does DSMR 5.0 smart meters contain a wireless signal for Homey to pick up?
  • Does DSMR 5.0 smart meters contain a wireless signal for Homey to pick up?
    None of the DSMR "smart meters" have an wireless device thats accessible for the end-user.
    But the have an P1 (serial) port and there are tons of example that connect P1 with USB-serial converts to Rpi's, Arduino etc.
    We have plans on adding a graphs module for any type of logged data. Just don't expect it at launch :)
  • Sounds logical.
    Though I really would like to have a power usage graph (in time).

But I guess I'm not the only one...
  • Emile is talking about a generic representation graph for ANY logged data. Doesn't matter if it is energy, switch on/off, lux-measurement or whatever. If they make it well it's quite easy (quoting Emile in many answers) and you can translate measurements to units/quantities. E.g.: measurement of 1000 = 127 lux and show it as 127 lux in the graph. So also your power usage request will be fulfilled, but in due time. Emile will realize any request and wishes (and latent demanded functionality) probably in order of demand. :-)

Emile, "we have plan" is that a promise, or an idea? (Retorical, you should answer idea....even though I'd like it as much as RobinVanKekem. Otherwise I'd have to develop it myself and that would contradict an out of the box perfect experience for a nerd like me. ;-) )
    We have plans = I'm never going to sleep again

No but seriously, features like these take careful thought, so I am not going to say "we are going to do x and y" when in restrospech "z" would have been a better, more generic solution to the problem.
  • @Emile: Thank you for adding the explanation that it means "we put it on a list of wonderful ideas and will realize them in order of demand and opportunity, may it be in a month, may it be in 5 years, which is in everyone's best interest". Very nice! I can live with that and understand that.
  • My wish list for smart meter readout:

• low power consumption (battery operated=no wall plug needed in meter cabinet)
    • low cost
    • available in Netherlands

E.g. Eminent EM6600 (<€40): http://www.eminent-online.com/en/product/938/em6600-smart-energy-reader-with-z-wave-stick.html

• You all need a device called Neurio, it's the new king of appliance monitoring.

• Fire69Fire69 Member

Do you have one? If so, how well does it work? :)

• BasPostBasPost Member

MarkSwift said:
    You all need a device called Neurio, it's the new king of appliance monitoring.

Fire69 said:
    Do you have one? If so, how well does it work? :)

Or the Smappee!

• MarcoFMarcoF Member

Smappee is working with WiFi. The WiFi band(s) are over crowded. Here i'm moved most of my device from WiFi back to Ethernet, because WiFi is not reliable anymore.

The USB>Ethernet converter is already waiting for Homey.

• jovinkjovink Member

Why not a device as the Homewizard energylink. It is easy to install, It can be used with solar panels. The only problem is the protocol...

• djeskodjesko Member

MarcoF said:
    Smappee is working with WiFi. The WiFi band(s) are over crowded. Here i'm moved most of my device from WiFi back to Ethernet, because WiFi is not reliable anymore.

The USB>Ethernet converter is already waiting for Homey.

Any link to the usb device ?

Thanks

• MarcoFMarcoF Member

@djesko:
    What do you mean?

• djeskodjesko Member

@Marcof

The USB to ethernet converter

• MarcoFMarcoF Member

Homey has (as far as i known) 2 usb ports and so it should be possible to connect an usb<>Ethernet converter.

Homey has one USB port, which is used for power. It can be extended with an USB OTG cable to add an extra USB port for pheripherials

• WebsterWebster Member
    Plugwise Smile P1 support would be a great option
  • My Plugwise Smile P1 app just got published in the app store. You can check it out here:
    https://apps.athom.com/app/com.plugwise.smile

An updated version is waiting on approval from Athom that hopefully solves a critical issue with certain brands of smart meters connected to the Smile P1.

• bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited June 2016
    Thanks, works great
    A small nit : power meter says it's in Wh instead of KWh (both webinterface and mobile)
    And a request: Could you make a label on the trigger with the change in KWh, W and/or m3 and not just the absolute value? This can be done with using variables I guess but I think it would be very usefull to have this in the app.

• gruijter_devgruijter_dev Member
    edited June 2016
    Very good suggestion to add a label with the change value. I just have to figure out now how to do this

About the Wh in stead of KWh; that's weird. On my own device it is shown correctly. I'll check if this also has to do with different brands of smart meters.

EDIT: I checked the data from the different smart meters, but I see no difference there.... 
    EDIT2: Ah, I see now what you mean. This is in the flow card "The power meter changed".
    This must be a bug in Homey itself, because I'm using the built-in device and associated cards.
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member

Not just in the Flow-card but also the device-card...
  • gruijter_devgruijter_dev Member
    edited June 2016
    that's does not look right... It looks like the wrong value is calculated for the power meter. I have to check the data mapping some more.
    Or is your meter total indeed negative? All numbers should match what is shown by the android/ios app from plugwise...

• bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited June 2016
    Sorry, should have mentioned that, I have a lot of overproduction smile This is for 27 months now... The numbers are correct...
  • Ok, then I cannot help it that wH is presented. This is handled by the default Homey device and capabilities.
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    Do you have the older version of your app running? Strange that's in KWh for you while it claims to be Wh for me? The device and capabilities are the same for you and me aren't they?
This discussion has been closed.