This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Z-Wave: Fibaro FGK-101 Door/Window sensor not doing anything

I have included this popular Z-Wave device to my Homey. In the Homey GUI I see the battery level and Alarm (shows: off). 
However it's not doing anything when the sensor detects if the door/window is opened or closed. I'm also not sure if "Alarm" means if the sensor is triggered or not. Anyway the flow that I setup doesn't trigger.

Anyone any thought on how to fix this?  Btw I hate it that I don't see a proper log environment to debug some of the questions I have...

Comments

• @sossienl ;
      Same problem here.
    Just installed the device. 
    Paired it with Homey, but... No reaction. It indicates its on, The battery status and so on, but, no respond to a door. Any Ideas for the setting? I read the Guides, but no joy so far.

• edited April 2016
    I have the same problems with other z-wave devices.
    See topic: https://forum.athom.com/discussion/1283/aeotec-smart-switch-6-door-sensor-6

• Have you all read in what Association Group you need when adding your z-wave device?
    It is different for ALOT of devices and is only obtainable by reading the manual of the said device.
    or did you just pick a random group or "None".
    Homey's Z-Wave firmware isn't in a state yet that can determine this itself.
  • Yes I have. In the group1 for Aeotec devices. And so is the config of the device in the homey also.

• Fully support the feedback of @caseda :
    Fibaro has a quite extensive knowledge base (including video's on the different actions) explaining the association groups, parameter and recovery actions: check out: http://manuals.fibaro.com/
  • @caseda  and @TedTolboom ;
    Yes I Know the site and Yes I've tried to read it, but it does not help me.
    I don't understand what it means.. Sorry.

The Manuals, at first, are expecting me to have a Fibaro Home Station, but i don't .
    I can Read the extensive Manuals,but I am not good at this stuff. I'm starting!

2ND ASSOCIATION GROUP TRIGGERS???
    DOOR/WINDOW/ALARM STATUS???
    VALUE OF ON COMMAND FRAME SENT TO 2ND ASSOCIATION GROUP???
    TIME DELAY OF ON COMMAND FRAME

This is all logical to you, but not to me. Sorry. That is why I asked!
    I want it to work, but need to learn and need someone to help me explain it to me.

I use this Forum to learn!
    When I post my setting or what i get on insight, I hope two things.
    1. That other who are in the same situation like me--> LEARNING! that they can see thing they can do and try-out to see if it works.
    2. That super users like YOU can help us NOOBS with you extensive knowledge, and point out our MISTAKES.

I know we need to read up to get anything near your shadows and I try, but i need help!
    As stated before I'm new to this stuff and putting in a lot of time and afford to understand it and make this work here at my house. 

You asked a fare question if we have read the manual?, " or did you just pick a random group or "None".", but i would be thankful when you would answer the question you so earnestly ask. 
    Just an answer like : "You need to put it in 1, or 2" or whatever.
    That way you are helping Me/ us.

I know you are much better than me! and I will never get close, but I'm trying to get up from down-under.

I hope we can continue in a understanding and constructive way.

THNX and prettige avond.

• casedacaseda Member
    edited April 2016
    @ThijsDeJong ;;;;;
    I know what you mean, but even if i was a "super user", what i'm not, i just started with Z-Wave as well, can't/dont want to know all the manuals of all the devices, too bad there is no equilibrium in this from the different brands.
    Even though Z-Wave is pretty specific in what brands can and can't do.

It's like Apple (IPhone/IOS) i guess, the first few are good and constant, but the more are added, the more small changes are taking place. (no hard feelings about Apple)

Let me try to make it clear for what happens, from the start:

Association Groups when adding your device:

When adding your Z-Wave device, you are asked to what Association Group it needs to send its Data to.
    This can be 2 choices:
    1. Directly to other Nodes (not the controller) to let them go on, and/or off.
    2. To the controller, and let the controller handle all the Data (This option is the most Common).
    To know which Group the controller is, you need to look in the manual as to what Group the Controller is at.
    As this is different per device, and i don't want to memorize all the devices, for now you need to look it up in the manual.
    Most of the time this is specified as:
    • Association Group that should not be modified.
    • Report status to just one/single device.
    • Lifeline.
    Adding it to a Group to directly control other Nodes, just don't bother... with Homey this is practically impossible at the moment.

Association Groups after adding your device:

In the settings menu after you added your device you can still add Homey's Node ID (which is most of the time: 1), to different Association Groups.
    This is ment for the different things you want to be sent to your controller, like:
    • Motion
    • Tamper
    • Temperature
    • Lux
    • Watt
    • Kilo Watt per Hour
    This does not always work though, not always homey's fault as not all devices receive these settings properly all the time.
    Sometimes it is Homey's fault, just like (most of) the Parameters they are just not send properly/received properly.

But sometimes it does work properly, just Trial and Error at the moment.
    You can't do anything wrong here without it being able to be corrected again afterwards.

It is not always stated very User Friendly in the manual's as well, just look for Key words like the ones given above.
    If the description of the said Associate Group is still unclear, just don't change anything in that Group, it's most likely like the BUT stated below.

BUT: the default settings should be sufficient of most devices, so nothing needs to be configured.

Parameters:

Then there are the Parameters to "Advanced Configure" your devices.
    Parameters are constructed in 3 parts:
    1. Parameter, this ranges from 1 to 99
    2. Byte, this specifies the amount of bytes that are being send, either 1, 2 or 4.
    3. Value, this is the value that is send to the device.
    Parameters are different for every device, even different for different versions of your device.
    For example: The 2.4 to 2.8 version of the Fibaro Motion Sensor, are different then the new 3.2 version.
    (This includes the Association Groups)

At the moment of writing, homey does got some trouble to send (most) of the parameters correctly.
    This has also to do with the small differences in all the devices, i think.

As of now it is confirmed that the only things that we are able to change in Fibaro Devices are:
    • Tamper Sensitivity
    • LED Signaling
    • LED Brightness
    The rest just don't work (yet), only work partially (set 1800 Seconds, but triggered at 2140 seconds), or in the case of Fibaro Motion Sensors even brick it into alarm mode.

If you know more, have suggestions or something is still unclear, just ask/suggest.
    So i can edit this post for future references.
  • caseda said:

Association Groups after adding your device:

In the settings menu after you added your device you can still add 1's to different Association Groups.
    Maybe you should add that you put those 1's there because 1 is the node id for Homey.  That would make it a little clearer what that 1 means exactly?
  • Thanks for the explanation... Just a nit: parameter-bytes can also be "4" according to the Homey-interface (in the flow).
  • Yes, my current controller also support 4 bytes.
  • @Fire69 ;
    Thats a good observation, changed it, and thanks you

@BasVanDenBosch 
    Haven't seen any devices use 4 bytes (thats alot of information!) but added it.
  • @ThijsDeJong Thanx for the honest feedback...
    I'm also just starting to understand the Z-wave devices (with 1 motion sensor and 3 switches) and corresponding difficulties to get what you want... And I was also under the impression that Z-wave is a standard and that it should be easy to add a device and simply use it (switch on and forget)... Well at least in combination with Homey, we're not there yet...

If no data is being reported, I would look into the association groups to see if the right associations are being made.
    The remaining parameters are just for further tweaking of the behavior of the sensor.

I don't have this type of sensor myself... But if I look briefly into the manual, this sensor has 3 association groups (equal for all FW versions).
    Group I is assigned to input IN1 (and the magnetic sensor).
    Group II is assigned to TMP button. Once the button is released, ALARM GENERIC frame is sent to associated devices.
    Group III reports on the condition of the device, only one device may be assigned to the group (main controller, by default).
    In this case,  you could try to add under the devices settings of this sensor Homey's Z-wave Node ID (most cases 1; see settings > Z-wave > ) to group 3. Save the settings and triple click the TMP button to manually wake-up the sensor (and receive the new settings) without waiting for the next wake-up interval, typically 7200 seconds.

If this does not work, you could try to remove the sensor (via Settings > Z-wave > Remove node > triple click on the sensor) and re-add the sensor with selecting group 3 in the option "Report to association group".
  • @caseda ;your summary is real good. I would suggest to post it as separate discussion topic for easier finding it and that we all contribute to it, ok?

Some additions:
    - "As this is different per device" > "As this is different per device and even per SW version" ... "up in the manual" > "up in the manual corresponding to that specific SW version"
    - "Association Group it needs to send its Data to" I would add that this the "Report to association group" window / question is.
    - Possible addition would be to add the following to support troubleshooting:
    If no data is being reported, look into the association groups to see if the right associations are being made. If the right associations are being made, at the wake-up of the sensor (triggered manually or at the interval), the full data set should be send to Homey (and thus visible at Insights or Device data).
    The remaining parameters are just for further tweaking of the behavior of the sensor (e.g. sensitivity) and do not determine the communication.
    - Parameter formatting: Under Z-wave configuration = Parameter number, Parameter size, value with different parameters separated by a semicolon (e.g. 80,1,0;89,1,0)

• @TedTolboom ;
    i was thinking about that, after already placed it here.!?
    but i have it put in his own discussion now: https://forum.athom.com/discussion/1288/how-to-z-wave-devices

And thank you for the (great) example for how to read the manual.
    and some good suggestions

• @TedTolboom & @caseda ;
    Bizzy day so a late reply.

THANKS !!

I think your reaction is the reason why i like this forum.
    I was trying to make a point in a, not so, subtle way.
    And you took it sportively.

And even better you made a new discussion with the answers and it Helps !!!
    THNX not only on my own behalf, but on behalf of all those that are reading and learning in the new threat.
    THNX and I hope that in the far (very far)  future I may have an answer on any of your questions.

Thijs

PS Ja pinguins hebben knietjes!  
  • @ThijsDeJong ;
    <3 (no homo, just nostalgic factor @ this forum)
  • TedTolboomTedTolboom Member
    edited April 2016
    @ThijsDeJong You're welcome! I appreciate your feedback.

I also don't have all the answers yet, simply trying to share my own learnings with the rest of the forum. Like many others do on this forum ;)