This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Homey in action!

EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
edited March 2015 in Archive

Comments

• Awesome! :)
  • In the very first demo with Stefan it responded a lot quicker :)
  • Great to see homey in action!

The response time for me is also a bit disappointing.
    Is this the result of using an web-service for processing the speech?
  • Using Vera Edge with Philips Hue's in my living room is as-slow, sometimes even slower. And that's not even voicetriggered, but switch-triggered. From the Philips Hue app itself it's much faster. So I imagine Homey will be much faster than the Vera when using the UI. And as-slow when using speech control.

All in all, nice demo, I'm satisfied. However, I _am_ curious of a demo with more distance to Homey, and also speech control AFTER the music is already playing and distoring the microphone reception of homey. :-)
  • In the very first demo with Stefan it responded a lot quicker :)
    Maybe that one was played with double speed? Normally Stefan's voice is also MUCH lower. ;-)
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    The Hue's indeed have a delay that we can't control, so that's some work for Philips to be done :)

The speech recognition part will get faster as well, because what we're doing right now is sending the speech to the cloud AFTER the user is done talking. In the end, this will happen WHILE the user is talking, so it's a lot faster then.

For the music part: as Homey controls your music, it will just lower the volume after hearing 'Hey Homey' (which even worked when Jeroen was standing on the black 'codecave' in our office you can see in the back!).
  • Great news Emile, you had me worrying for a second :D ;)
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited March 2015
    The Hue's indeed have a delay that we can't control, so that's some work for Philips to be done :)
    Then why is it that for example disco-apps can make the lights change colors several times per second?

The speech recognition part will get faster as well, because what we're doing right now is sending the speech to the cloud AFTER the user is done talking. In the end, this will happen WHILE the user is talking, so it's a lot faster then.
    Isn't this the reason then why it appears slow(er)? :)
  • The Hue app itself and with my Vera3 is working great over here.
    The Hue Widget on my Nexus5 is in some cases very slow.

Disco is also working great over here :D
    Then why is it that for example disco-apps can make the lights change colors several times per second?

Isn't this the reason then why it appears slow(er)? :)
    Of course both add to the delay. Disco mode seems fast, but there still is a delay from the command being sent until the bulb actually changes color.
  • Where is the female Voice ?
    Under the dropdown setting 'Voice' ;)
  • Awesome. Can't wait to discuss the weather with my Homey!
  • @Emile
    Is "thank you Homey" also a command?
    If that is the case then if Homey can alert you of a situation, e.g. frost outside, first with a sound or ring color and after "say it Homey" tell you what the alert really is.
  • When you ask Homey to play music, does it have the potential to search your plex library for music if it's locally stored? :)
    Yup!
  • Awesome! :)
  • Qx5Qx5 Member
    Looks realy nice Emile! If you watch the monitor and Homey colors closely you can see that the reaction time isn't that bad and most time is now lost after finishing your sentence and processing it. Will Homey future the realtime uploading of your speech recording on release? And I was wondering. What is the current estimate on the shipping date? I'm kind of lost on that one ;) Can't wait to try out the flow editor and start making our own arduino projects.

Keep up the good work!
  • OK, Homey does things while speaking, but for me its the total response time which counts.
    I think Homey should do what i say within max. 1-2 secs after i'm finish with saying of the command.

In the demo Homey needs between 5secs(433mhz) till almost 10secs (HUE) to proces speech and run the action.

One command needs 5 secs for speech and after that 5-10 secs to process .
    In total it takes 10-15 seconds to speak and run 1 command.
    How much time will it take to run 4 commands?

For me the responsetime is very important, because the longer it takes, the more annoying it will be and the more uncertain my Wife will be because it could be that homey didn't understand the command or something like that.
  • AthomeyAthomey Member
    edited March 2015
    @MarcoF +1 Responsetime is key. I'm experimenting heavily with Vera Edge and 100-200 devices in it. I'm explicitly not using zwave association, cause as I understand it until now, Homey will not support configuring association natively and I want to know how the Vera does this without association. This to make a fair comparison to Homey when I receive it. Measuments with the Vera are with association <200ms, but without sometimes 5 seconds, incidently even more. This is without speech recognition, but also the Vera is a lot less powerfull (CPU wise) than Homey. See also my concrete measurements and explanation of zwave association: https://forum.athom.nl/discussion/comment/998/#Comment_998
  • Does Homey make/respond to jokes? :-D
  • +1 for;
    Responsetime is key
    -1 for Athom's responsetime.
    Does Homey make/respond to jokes? :-D
    It tells you Chuck Norris jokes, actually ;)

@MarcoF, well, we also have to create a product, so please forgive us for not doing everything at the same time. I still have to find some time to sleep as well ;-)
  • I prefer waiting a couple of days for an answer here over waiting a couple of extra weeks for my Homey, so I don't mind :P
  • @Emile, my apologies. Hope you got enough sleep since 20-march ;)
  • Response-Time +++++++++++
  • 9 months and a lot of patience further, there's still no product.
  • I thought that they are progressing well when they have announced that they have ordered 1000 pcs of RaspberryPi. That was in 2014.
  • MarcoF said:
    9 months and a lot of patience further, there's still no product.
    Why are you even posting shit like this? This is not the thread for it, nor does it contain anything. Comments like this prove nothing. They have no value. The only thing you are achieving is that everyone (especially the team, who are not waiting for this) is beginning to dislike you.
  • AlwinDocterAlwinDocter Member
    edited January 2016
    MarcoF said:
    9 months and a lot of patience further, there's still no product.

See topic Shipment and software status:

Regular € 229,- & Early Bird € 199,- & Super Early Bird € 179,- (400 pcs)
    Estimated shipment: January 30 2016

@MarcoF, no your post doesn't help things. Just wait a little bit and you can play around with your own homey. It's almost there.

This discussion has been closed.