This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Meaning led ring color

Homey has a very (very!) nice led ring and the color of the ring must mean something. Can anyone tell me what which color means? My guess would be:

Yellow: Homey is starting, please wait

Red: Homey is dead, please disconnect power and restart

Blue: Homey is downloading something, you can still use me

Pink: Homey is updating, do not disconnect power

Rainbow: Homey is operational and waiting for an event

Comments

• Orange: listening to your voice
    White: processing your voice
  • Was wondering this myself; my addition:
    Yellow: also Homey is listening
    White: Homey is interpretating the instructions it received
  • Reason I'm asking is because my homey seems to be in a deadlock.. It worked a little while (even installed some apps), but now it won't start anymore (maybe after the update). First yellow color and after one minute red. When I reset power homey gives a pink/purple color... stays like this for an hour... any hints on what to do? Turning homey upside down doesn't work.
  • I'm having the same issue here. Putted a message on Slack as well.
  • JarnoBosJarnoBos Member
    edited February 2016
    Purple is updating if you ask me, mine updates to later release with 5 min of purple and then yellowly (booting) 
  • You can change the rainbow in the settings. I have it on a soothing pulse :)
  • MartijnMartijn Member
    edited February 2016
    I have the same issue... I started the update, after completely downloaded I got a popup with a reboot  question. It was flashing purple much longer then 5 minutes I guess it was about 15 minutes, after that it turns to orange (rebooting?), after 1 minute it turns to red without pulsing. Homey up side down to do a system reset doesn't work.

I restarted the homey and now it is flashing purple again.
  • @Emile, seems like some homey's are stuck after an update attempt. Continuously flashing purple when starting homey upside down or yellow/orange to red when starting homey normally. Is a factory reset possible for us? Or should we contact you for RMA? 
  • Red ring problem with mine as well.

Regular power-up: Orange ring turns red after a minute or so. Turning Homey up-side-down at any point during this process doesn't do anything
    Up side down power-up: Starts with red ring, after a few seconds it turns pink... and stays that way.

Where do i put my saté-prikker to do a hardware reset?

Meaning of the ring colors should be explained during the setup process so people know what there homey is doing during the first power-cycles!
  • PhaetonPhaeton Member
    edited February 2016
    Same here, sent Athom an e-mail. Some discussion going on on slack as well. I'm affraid I havent found a gap that has a button behind it. 

I remember an update where @Athom stated we couldn't brick Homeys with an update. I really hope that implemented in a good way and we can fix the issue. Not only for us, but also for Athom. It would be nice if we geeks can recover and start working on apps.
  • @HarryBuurman ;
    @Emile  indeed said it and also that it should be possible to recover a "brick" homey by connecting it to a PC.

I never seen a piece of PC software, so probably that still under development or not ready (enough) to release to the public.
  • When Homey doesn't pass the yellow ring after recovery, check your WiFi, make sure homey is close enough to the access point to get a stable signal.
  • I have this problem, my laptop was standing 50 cm next to Homey and receives full power WiFi. My router is in the same room as Homey. So with me, the signalstrength of the WiFi is not the problem.
  • PhaetonPhaeton Member
    edited February 2016
    @MathijsFrencken:  you mean when the yellow rings is on and after a while goes back to red? Or when it stays yellow?

I have a red ring and because I'm only 1,5 meter away from the router I cannot imagine that to be the issue. But I'll try to place homey next to my router this evening
  • a. Signal was 100% where i was sitting
    b. Wifi reception shouldn't have anything to do with not being able to reset Homey. What happens when i change routers, take my homey with me to a new location/wifi network or even only change wifi password!?
  • MartijnMartijn Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm home and just tested it... I have full WiFi signal, Homey starting with yellow ring, after a minute or so it changing to red.
    Homey gets no IP address I can't see if its connected to WiFi. It looks like it has forgotten its WiFi code but not starting the initial WiFi setup process.
  • @MathijsFrencken:  you mean when the yellow rings is on and after a while goes back to red? Or when it stays yellow?

I have a red ring and because I'm only 1,5 meter away from the router I cannot imagine that to be the issue. But I'll try to place homey next to my router this evening

Hmm okay, yeah I did have the problem of not getting 'past' the yellow ring after a reset.(red ring) After installing another access point next to homey, my problems were resolved.

Can't guarantee this will work for everybody though.

• @MathijsFrencken But how do you configure the Homey to connect to that specific access point? Do you name it exactly the same with the same password?
    The locked Homeys can't setup anything anymore...  setup.athom.com is not possible!
  • Will be rma or maybe remotely fixable... there is nothing we can do at this moment. Have to wait for a word from athom
  • MartijnMartijn Member
    edited February 2016
    Everything is fine now... the trick explained in "[HELP] My Homey is not responding after an update" fixed it...
  • @martijn1 Black: plugin power
  • Hahahaha lol  <3
  • @martijn1 Black: plugin power
    C00l! Homey supports blacklight  B)
  • Maybe you guys already noticed, I just saw something nice!

When you install something on Homey (app or voice) the blue ring shows you the percentage it has done.
    With an app it's finished too fast, but you can see it nicely when downloading a voice  :)
This discussion has been closed.