This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Zigbee devices go offline

2»

Comments

• I have major issues with ZigBee on homey. Will work great one day then awful the next

In hoping V2 fixes somehow
  • So no more zigbee update until V2.1?
    Biggest problem I now have is that the device the most away from homey have a problem with the commando's, they say that there on, but there not.

• Slofware said:

So no more zigbee update until V2.1?
    Biggest problem I now have is that the device the most away from homey have a problem with the commando's, they say that there on, but there not.

Well the zigbee rewrite/updates would come after the 433 (microcontroller) / z-wave rewrites as said by Athom and the 433 rewrite still hasn't hit experimental -> stable while 2.0 is almost ready according the latest blog so soon indeed :smile:
  •   Hopefully before the sun sets earlier  ;)
  • I still think a 'quick' fix here would be for us to club together to raise funds to enable someone (@Phuturist maybe??) To build build support for the Xiaomi Mi hub.
    That way, Homey's (non-working) ZigBee could be replaced by a cheap hub which links to homey (similar to say Harmony hub) allowing per device flows as you would expect just with the ZigBee being handled by a device which actually works
  • SlofwareSlofware Member
    edited July 2018

Will that work on more than only the Xiaomi devices but also on the Ikea?

• Slofware said:

i know there is an alpha out wher you can connect the ikea bridge just like the hue bridge but you need access to the alpha otherwise you find a blind spot if you search ikea on the app s tore (but you see the app)
  • Slofware said:

i know there is an alpha out wher you can connect the ikea bridge just like the hue bridge but you need access to the alpha otherwise you find a blind spot if you search ikea on the app s tore (but you see the app)

Thanks, I see it.
    For now it is working oke but hopefully they will solve it before winter and the dark days are coming ;)

So it Athom is needing some testing ground they are welcome to come over, got something like 50 devices running

• Slofware said:
    Slofware said:

Thanks, I see it.
    For now it is working oke but hopefully they will solve it before winter and the dark days are coming ;)

So it Athom is needing some testing ground they are welcome to come over, got something like 50 devices running

It's a community app so Athom has nothing to do with it, you need to contact the developer of the app (thought he also had a topic somewhere around here) 
  • Slofware said:i

If there was such a thing for the Xiaomi hub it would make me so happy!! ZigBee just isn't up to scratch on Homey natively
  • EternityEternity Member
    edited July 2018
    Buying a hub for a hub....?

I bought Homey for it's multi protocol capabilities. 
  • lubbertkramer I meant for Athom to come and play and test to make the Zigbee working on Homey  ;)

Still doing some test to improve and make it better for now because I don't to many "overhead" devices and just want to let the little friend control everything.

• Eternity said:
    Buying a hub for a hub....?

I bought Homey for it's multi protocol capabilities. 
    Didn't we all. But ZigBee just doesn't work reliably, so I'd rather spend £30 on a Xiaomi hub for the reliability than to wait 7 years for Athom to fix it...

I have a harmony hub, a hive hub and had a hue hub - what would one more be...
  • EternityEternity Member
    edited July 2018
    @vaderag
    I understand your point, Sir. And yes, I too am tempted to go for such a similar solution.  The Xiaomi wifi App supports the Aqara controller, BTW. Would that be the route? 

Domoticz supported it too.... With a zigbee stick and my Synology Nas..... That would be another solution. 
  • That will be another device witch can break or not communicate.
    I think that's oud hollands tobben....
  • Eternity said:
    @vaderag
    I understand your point, Sir. And yes, I too am tempted to go for such a similar solution.  The Xiaomi wifi App supports the Aqara controller, BTW. Would that be the route? 

Domoticz supported it too.... With a zigbee stick and my Synology Nas..... That would be another solution. 
    It only supports the Aqara controller in so much as it has a light on it and you can use that. I did mention the possibility of full support in the appropriate thread. I'm hoping that if enough of us express desire then maybe we can make it happen!!
  • Oké found out that my thermostaat Anna was still active on the WiFi because it did not had a connection jet. It made it's own AP on the channel that's intervering on zigbee channel 11. I killed that and don't have any grouped devices and for now have 2 second delay in between setting a device and all is now working for 99%. Good workaround waiting on V2.1
  • I too experience issues with Zigbee. Mesh not building, Ikea, Xiaomi/Aqara devices. Even Ikea bulbs (zigbee routers) are not allowing to mesh up with each other (top floor bulb lost connection all the time, when there are 2 bulbs on 1st floor and ground floor to interconnect). For now I added those Ikea bulbs to my Phlips Hue hub and that works fine. Still issues reaching my Xiaomi body sensor on the topfloor to turn the Ikea bulb on via Hue hub. Sadly the Xiaomi are not supported with Hue else I would have tried that. So yeah the wait is on a fix on Zigbee for Homey to improve the mesh capabilities. Another option would be to improve range via soon-to-be-released (rumors around Aug this month) Ikea power sockets (zigbee based).
  • I don't expect these power sockets to help to be honest. Why would these routers suddenly work in building a mesh, when others appearently do not work properly?
  • TiyrellTiyrell Member
    edited August 2018
    Sytze said:
    I don't expect these power sockets to help to be honest. Why would these routers suddenly work in building a mesh, when others appearently do not work properly?
    Because only Powered nodes are used building a mesh, battery operated devices do not relay messages.

But, if you mean that lightbulbs now also do not work in this regard so why should powered sockets? then yeah, thats a valid point I guess.
  • That's exactly what I meant :wink:

• Powered Xiaomi devices did not extend my zigbee mesh. All devices go straight to Homey, or are out of reach.
  • It’s not brand dependent...
    something at Homey’s side (Zigbee core) is messing up the mesh network.
    Ikea Trandfri, Xiaomi, INNR’s all suffer from the same issue...

Athom has to completely rewrite the Zigbee core in order to resolve...
    no plans shared when this will be completed, other then after 2.0 release...
  • Just for my information and understanding, not to push or to be negative. 
    My knowledge about Zigbee is more of the general kind and don't know in dept how it works, but what needs to be done for the re-write of the new Zigbee core?
    Do you need to start from a blank sheet or is there a base code that needs to be adjusted to the Homey?
  • Slofware said:
    Just for my information and understanding, not to push or to be negative. 
    My knowledge about Zigbee is more of the general kind and don't know in dept how it works, but what needs to be done for the re-write of the new Zigbee core?
    Do you need to start from a blank sheet or is there a base code that needs to be adjusted to the Homey?
    Athom is not using Zigbee Shepherd; an open source implementation of Zigbee for Homey.
    This was one of the fastest, and at that time best, options to implement Zigbee on Homey...

Zigbee and Z-wave appear quite similar, but the Z-wave association certifying devices is controlling the implementation more strictly then it’s counterpart for Zigbee...
    a result is that the Zigbee devices have more custom implementations; the Xiaomi Zigbee devices are a typical example of it...

In order to be able to support all these custom implementations, Athom already  updated it’s Zigbee Shepherd implementation to a level that it is no longer compatible with the open source branch....

From specification perspective Z-wave and Zigbee are quite similar; Z-wave with their command classes and Zigbee with their clusters...

The Zigbee re-write will therefore (most likely) mean a complete re-write of the Zigbee core (abandoning the Zigbee Shepherd) and Zigbee meshdriver, but based on the latest Z-wave core structure, approach and meshdriver... 

Hope that this provides some context and clarification @Slofware
  • @TedTolboom yes it does. Thanks for the info. So it will be a big re-write.
    What is the best website to read more about how it excactly works? Like to know more of it.