This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

split 1.5.11 off-topic

edited July 2018 in Off-Topic
This discussion was created from comments split from: Homey v1.5.11.

Comments

• edited June 2018
    Athom, for the last two years you managed yourself to distance yourself from your community. For the last few months we are waiting for progress, next steps. It is very quiet, very quiet, only a not to the point interview with more promises and again no delivery. 
    Homey is as it is a great product - it does it job every day, very stable. Thank you. But in your proces to mature, you are gambling with your most precious assets: customers. Get your act together! If you have: Great: share it.

This is coming from a happy customer! (with ...)
  • No reply whatsoever. What does this tell me: 1: homey community is not aligned with nextstep Athom (we will be there, whatever). 2: Athom does not care.
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited June 2018
    @hnijveen
    I guess you haven't read the last blogpost have you?
    Even though no ETA was giving, it does state they are still working hard on sdkv2 improvements and on the V2 of the mobile app.
  • edited July 2018
    Hi @Bram, I dare to differ. It is good to hear Athom is working hard on next update Homey 2.0, even casual readers of this forum are aware and well: we will see and of course it's your product. But I do reject your statement to describe Athom direction & progress doing that is not of our interest (there is not a lot to tell about it). For me you are so besides what I would like to experience with Athom: the path to success & if you think, the company policy dictates not to share, it is a doubtfull strategy.

edit: typo
  • SytzeSytze Member
    Since this is a community forum, what's holding you back from opening an open poll or 2 about the most discussed strategy choices:
    1. Mobile only, yes or no? From what I can tell on any of the public channels, users generally do not like this choice. The only downside of a public poll would be if it turns out to be the case and you'd need to explain how many different users take the time to mail you instead of posting here. But that could never be the case, now could it...?
    2. Regular updates, even if they're repetitive or no updates if you've got nothing new to share?

Why not openly ask your users and openly answer to the polls result? Seriously, how can this kind of transparency hurt you? It will only do so if you're unwilling to listen to your community. But this community is one of the USP's of Homey, so that would be a rather weird decision. Right?
  • Bram is just the messenger ... And thus relaying what is instructed. 
  • TiyrellTiyrell Member
    edited July 2018
    Customers aren't always the best source when plotting out the course of a product.
    Famous quotes about this topic:

• “It's really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them.” — Steve Jobs.
    • “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” –Henry Ford.
    We as customers just do not know the whole picture to have a good opinion on the direction before we know all the details. Thats why I'll just wait and see. It's also weird to think that when it seems to be the wrong direction, Athom won't fix it. I'm sure problems will come when changing major things, problems can be fixed. But they should not stand in the way of keep going forward.

Enjoy Homey

• Tiyrell said:
    Customers aren't always the best source when plotting out the course of a product.
    Famous quotes about this topic:

• “It's really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them.” — Steve Jobs.
    • “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” –Henry Ford.
    We as customers just do not know the whole picture to have a good opinion on the direction before we know all the details. Thats why I'll just wait and see. It's also weird to think that when it seems to be the wrong direction, Athom won't fix it. I'm sure problems will come when changing major things, problems can be fixed. But they should not stand in the way of keep going forward.

Enjoy Homey

I totally agree with this. During my job I've experienced the same problem. Most people do not know what they actually want, until you show it to them. They only know the basic "I want a faster/quicker/better/smoother experience" . However, there is a oher side to the story: in the end the consumer decides because he/she is actually using the product, not the one thats telling what they need. So if you want the best product you NEED to know your users during the whole development process of your product.

Thus my advice, listen to what they are saying, try to understand the underlying issues, and interact with them during every stage of design.
  • @Bram, I would love to see some involvement from Athom on the topics described above. If you feel you're not obliged, I'm offering my service to describe your next update blog using your input.
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    #modbreak 
    Could we please stay on-topic? This topic is to report about v1.5.11 . 

All other questions could best be send to Support@athom.com

• Hilarious.. 
    Could we please step up to our responsibilities or tell us (clients) to backoff.
  • :s  indeed hilarous. 
  • All opponents are systematically silenced... 
  • dclrcqdclrcq Member
    C'mon guys.. How old are you? Create a different discussion if you want to keep talking about this. When I open this post I expect it to be about Homey v1.5.11.

• @Bram, as this is one of the few places I can still post, allow me to it here.
    I've just registered to the forum, but I can't see any discussion, I have litteraly rights to nothing. When I'm logged out, i can see all the discusssion, but can't post anything.
    Can someone take a look at this?
  • Maybe @dclrcq you have to digest the insight there is no discussion about v1.5.11 and embrace, if you are capable to, see the bigger picture . If you're not: that's ok also, but do not narrow people down who question Athom doing towards future to something as simple as How old are you? I'm very committed to Athom, and I know the Athom people are as-well but I do question their strategy to alienate themselves from the base community. I wish it was different, but ok it is what it is.

• Ok, grow up moderators, seems you are Trumping the situation. Or you are with the community and get answers on topics such as: 
    1| What about web UI, not discussing Athom's direction, asking for insight in impact
    2| Knowing Homey speech is going nowhere, when can we expect a seamlessly and full functional integration with your choice of preferred voice enabled controllers (Google, Amazon, Apple, ..)
    3| Knowing you're working on next big update: can we expect a decent z-wave/zigbee/ .... implementation? Or if it is as it is, get proven guidelines how to handle it using Homey.
    4| Can we have a proper explanation how to interpretere the message: Due to the amount of apps installed (15), Homey may be less responsive. Is the hardware outdated, being not even to deliver the basic vision from 2014?
    5| Can we expect - as end users/customers - a future delivery of apps? (lets narrow it down to Athom apps) What are Athom's plans to embrace their original idea to support a community driven dev track.
    6| Can we as customers expect a more involved customer services dep? For starters: get involved with this so called Athom community?

We will see. And you know, you can always delete/move/hide/ridicule  this post.
  • I'm a new owner of Homey (less than 6 months) and I'm fairly happy but this is a great point

[quote]
    2| Knowing Homey speech is going nowhere, when can we expect a seamlessly and full functional integration with your choice of preferred voice enabled controllers (Google, Amazon, Apple, ..) [/quote]

I'm messing with so many routines just to avoid saying tell homey to xyz on my Google home. Also it's a lot slower than direct intergration to Google Home. 

As for the debate over moving just to the app in 2.0 , I have mixed feelings.

The current homey app on Google playstore frankly isn't very good. It takes a few seconds to refresh when i load it etc. Heck even the third party Homey dashboard is better!

So I'm a bit worried that the admin portion will also be done an app. I hope it will be a lot better.

Currently for pairing devices, editing flows I use my laptop + web version. I hope this continues in 2.0

• RocodamelsheRocodamelshe Member
    edited July 2018
    hnijveen said:
    Ok, grow up moderators,
    My wife don't want me to grow any further but  instead of that watch my granddaughter grow up.
    hnijveen said:
     Or you are with the community and get answers on topics such as:

I am with the community but i know as much as u do. Am Moderator in my free time, not being payed by Athom.
    hnijveen said:
     And you know, you can always delete/move/hide/ridicule  this post.
    Just moving  posts which are off-topic or deleting posts after several warnings not to post off-topic.
    And just for ur info: i did not move this posts to off-topic, i would have deleted all.
    If u have problems with that u can always send me a PM.
    If u have any problems with me being a moderator u can send a PM to @bram.
  • Why not simply address the questions, instead of trying to impose an other reality. I guess it is what it is.
  • Whatever suits u best m8. Don't know any of the answers.
  • hnijveen said:
    Why not simply address the questions, instead of trying to impose an other reality. I guess it is what it is.
    Because moderators like @Rocodamelshe spend their free time to support the community with their questions and keep some structure in this forum. And yes, that also means taking some unpopular decisions.

Like @Rocodamelshe mentioned, the moderators don’t get any more information then you and I do (via the blogs).

If you want any answers, please address them to the only active Athom member / representative: @Bram
  • I understand, take care & I do not envy your chosen position.