This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Solved Fibaro

[Solved] Fibaro FGS-222 to replace rotary on/off switch

k1sk1s Member
edited June 2018 in Devices
Hello,

I've got a rotary switch that I wan't to replace with something that can be controlled by Homey. 

The switch has 12 discrete positions but I just need to switch between 2 adjacent ones (on & off). The device uses 2 AAA batteries but I'm thinking to power from a DC 3A mains adapter and solder (a relay?) to the respective contacts that the rotary switch uses.  

Here is the layout of the contacts that the rotary switch bridges to make each position (the 2 I need are shown):

Which kind of Z-wave or other relay might work to make those contacts?

Any ideas welcome.  Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• JPeJPe Member
    Fibaro FGS-222  has 2 contacts that are potential free (not connected to the power lines), so the common (third from the right) you can connect to your "Upper ring", and contacts Q1 and Q2 to the two other contacts on your print.

• k1sk1s Member
    @JPe Thanks that looks good.  Are you familiar with this device?  I'm just wondering if the PCB is normally powered by 2x AAA batteries, but the relay is rated at up to 6.5A per output channel and 240v AC, will it work?
  • JPeJPe Member
    edited June 2018
    k1s said:
    @JPe Thanks that looks good.  Are you familiar with this device?  I'm just wondering if the PCB is normally powered by 2x AAA batteries, but the relay is rated at up to 6.5A per output channel and 240v AC, will it work?
    The spec. of the contacts is the max. load, if you use a new device (no burned-in contacts) there will be no problems, switching a low current. Mostly the higher the voltage, the lower the current!
  • k1sk1s Member
    edited June 2018
    Thanks @JPe, I got one and got it working.

Now I'm wondering how best to configure it in flows.  The relay is controlling a garden tap, with a ball valve controlling the flow of water. 

I'm effectively toggling both channels (Q1 and Q2 on the relay) each time to open and close the valve, so my flow currently looks like this, with a card for each channel:

It seems to work, but I'm a bit nervous about having the tap running by accident, especially since when it runs I get this message come up on the second channel:
    'Cannot read property '0' of undefined'

Does anyone know what that means?

In this example the tap was running, the flow executed, the channel Q2 was switched on to signal the valve to close, but the warning triangle come up over the Q1 channel which is supposed to switch off the Tap Open signal.

I'm not sure how to tell if the Tap Open (Q1 Channel) is now on or off.  If I run the flow again, the valve closes but I get the same message, this time on the second of the cards at he top (turning on the 'Tap Open signal).

The relay settings are currently like this (as a toggle switch with the 'toggle when switched' set):

I'm wondering whether i should have it set to 'On when switched is turned on')? Would it be better that way?

• JPeJPe Member
    edited June 2018
    @k1s ; the problem seems to be in the "AND" column 'A variable is equal to', don't think this may be a text, use a boolean if you want to use a separate variable.

Personally, I would not use an extra variable for on/off, because you can easily use the status of the switch itself. In the "AND" column you can use device "Garden Tap Open" not ON  for switching to OPEN. (Like in your Bathroom:-)

The device settings are meant for switches or push-buttons connected to the device inputs S1 and S2.
  • k1sk1s Member

I still don't know what the error meant, but I managed to get rid of it by changing the order of the cards.  Now in the then column it goes:

Turn on: Garden Tap Open
    Turn off: Garden Tap Closed Set a textual variable 'Garden Tap': 'Open'
    else
    Turn on: Garden Tap Closed
    Turn off: Garden Tap Open Set a textual variable 'Garden Tap': 'Closed'