This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Disabling the Alarm when entering the home using tablet/nfc-tag/keypad

There's already a mix of topics on this. But I want to list all the options that I found or came up. And would like to know what your experience is. 

The goal is to disable the alarm within a few seconds when entering the home. Since the Mobile Phone is too slow I want a manual action when entering the home. Either a RFID-tag option or/and a keypad. 

Option 1 'Android tablet'
There are android tablets that have a NFC-chip that can read tags. Does anyone have experience in setting this up in combination with Tasker? Holding the tag against the tablet, tasker detects the tag and sends via IFTT a message to Homey. Is that fast enough? Is that even possible? What if the tablet is locked? Does it still work then? Would the Homey get an ID of the tag so it knows which user it is?

Option 2 'Apple tablet'
There are some people using iBeacons. But its hard to find any app that supports iBeacons and iFTT. And how does it work when the tablet is locked? Or if the app is not open in the back-ground? Or should it always be open? Anyone any experience in this? I do have some old iPad mini's at the office that I might be able to use for this. Would the Homey get an ID of the tag so it knows which user it is?

Option 3 'benext-tag-reader-500'
Good thing it can directly connect to the Homey using z-wave. But where to manage the keys? Would the Homey get an ID of the tag so it knows which user it is? It looks little bit ugly. And it has a Home and Away button that i'm not going to use. 

Option 4 'Keypad k2000 in combi met Fibaro Universal Binair (URL)
Can the Homey see what user is connecting? Or is it only getting a true/false? How to set-up new keys? Can i set-up a flow when clicking the door bell button on the device? How hard is it to connect it to the Fibaro sensor?

Option 5 'Keypad KKmoon' (URL)  in combi met Fibaro Universal Binair (URL)
Same questions as option 4. 

Option 6 'Keypad 5YOA' (URL)  in combi met Fibaro Universal Binair (URL)

Option 7 'Keypad TIVDIO' (URL)  in combi met Fibaro Universal Binair (URL)

--

My personal preference is the tablet option. But I'll only do that if someone has a working solution. Please share your experience, what guides you followed etc.

Comments

• Did you ever found a solution that works for you?
    For options 1 and 2 you need IFTTT, which is an online service and I don't like to use that.
    Option 3 would be nice, if it wasn't that there are only 4 numbers.
    The problem with option 4 to 7 imo is that Homey doesn't know who is (dis)arming.
    I'm also thinking about Popp Keypad, but this doesn't support RFID.
  • rickprickp Member
    edited April 2018
    Normally my alarm switches by geo and i use my app if that fails. In case of a empty phone i can also use a nfc tag on homey self as backup. The tag marks me as home and then al the normal flows start running based on this. 

Note: i have a hardware tag for this, or you can use a plastic card with a tag in it, like the Dutch OV card. It will not work safe with your phone since the nfc code changes with every read out. Only work around would be to use "A tag is detected" but then you'll loose sight on who and anybody can switch off. On the otherhand, I don't think many burglars will try to put their phone on a white sphere...

I don't like the tablet idea nor the keypad with fibaro module. For me thats too expensive for the kind of job it does and too many modules for a single job too. Not quite sure about the benext though. Need to read a bit about that one.

============ edit ===========

Think the benext is the only decent solution at the moment. Might add this to my own system if I get some more confirmation.

In https://forum.athom.com/discussion/614/benext-rfid-nfc-tag-reader i found;

quakerix said:
    vaderag said:
    Sorry to bump an old thread but wondering how you guys are getting on with the tag reader? 
    I see there is an app for the BeNext one but not for Zipato (as they differ slightly)

Did you find compatible tags?
    It is suitable for home security? What happens if the battery dies - does it retain information, does the alarm die?
    I have been using it for two days now.

yes, you can see who is using the tag. You can give the tag a username. 
    no, i did not find any compatible tags (yet). I asked a webshop and they answered with me with a few tags, but I did not order them yet. 
    I don't know what happens if the battery dies. I have a flow warning me if its at 10% and i'll make sure to replace it before its dead. 

And overall, i like it very much and I use it as my alarm system. 

• I’ll come with a detailed answer later,

but yes I have used the tag reader but I also returned it. The range on the benext reader was bad which made the solution instable.

robbshop confirmed that the device had a bad range and didn’t suggest to get a new one. Based on that I assume that the benext tag reader is a bad product. 

And i did not find any zwave alternative unfortunately.

my current solution is owntracks, smartpresence to disable/enable alarm. 

And.. I have a Neo touch at the entrance that can disable the alarm. Which is in 99% of the cases not necessary. 

My assumption is that no burglar will know what buttons to push when the alarm goes off.
  • rickprickp Member
    tnx for your feedback. I also haven't found any alternatives so as for the alarm+nfc tag at the entrance is a no go. I'm currently looking into a combined combination of GPS and wifi connectivity through iftt. With the hidden off button that should do.
  • Hi @rickp , you mentioned that you use the nfc tag as a backup method and it triggers you as a user home. How did you manage this flow could you share it with me as I'm currently trying to create this, triggering a certain value whenever my tag hits the homey and when Heimdall is armed it needs to do a flow based on my preferences. And one for my girkfigirl's.

Thanks in advance!
  • rickprickp Member
    edited April 2018
    @ddenouden

IF 
    a tag is detected THEN set boolean "person x is thuis" TRUE. (Or use the normale presence, depends on your flow setup)

My alarm is build upon somebody being home or not, so the NFC tag marks me home and the alarm deactivates using its normal flows. I made the above flow for my tag, my girlfriends tag and a spare tag so the system also knows who's home. 

To get the NFC code of a tag i used 

IF a tag is detected THEN send a push message to rick's phone. 

As mentioned before, you can also use your phone as nfc but then the TAG code keeps switchin so you can't determine who is trying to do something. If you want to use this you should make this flow;

IF a tag is detected THEN deactivate the alarm. 

• @rickp ; Thanks for the insight, i've been doing the same thing but enabling and disabling different flows and in each flow still using the WHEN nfc tag and is exactly xxxxx ... but this gave me some issues. But first scanning the nfc tag and if it matches setting a boolean and the using the boolean value to enable or disable the alarm system will probably solve my issues! so thanks again!
  • Goodevening, i just received the Benext tag reader 500. Installed it and have 1 tag and made 2 id's. Now i need to maken a flow so i can put my alarm in te home or away status. I can.t figure out how to make this flow. does anyone have an example for my. doesn't matter how simple but i need something to start with.

here's wat is have

• can anyone help me with this flow?
  • isn't there anyone that has this tag reader and can help me out? 
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    What if the burgler has knowledge about working with homey and just does a PTP before the alarm is triggered? 
  • What if the burgler has knowledge about working with homey and just does a PTP before the alarm is triggered? 
    That can be said for every alarm system i guess, always good to not pinpoint it at one solution. Z-wave as example can work also without homey so still trigger the alarm 
  • rickprickp Member
    fke1964 said:
    Goodevening, i just received the Benext tag reader 500. Installed it and have 1 tag and made 2 id's. Now i need to maken a flow so i can put my alarm in te home or away status. I can.t figure out how to make this flow. does anyone have an example for my. doesn't matter how simple but i need something to start with.

here's wat is have

Then we will need more information about what alarm setup you use. Using a system like heimdall or other existing alarms? Custom alarm flows? 
  • I use the heimdall app for my alarm 
  • rickprickp Member
    I don't have the tag reader and can't find the cards but it should be something like;

"IF user/id x AND surveilance is disabled  THEN set surveillance mode activated"

to deactivate 

"IF user/id x AND surveilance is activated THEN set surveillance mode deactivated"