This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
GH

Homey, Google Home for elderly

AaronAaron Member
edited April 2018 in Questions & Help
Hi,
I thought I could get some nice ideas and insights here.

My father is getting old and is falling down a lot lately. Just today he fell again when he wanted to get to the toilet. I did not know that because he did not had his phone with him and could not call. He already dragged himself to the table when I accidentally came by. Two weeks ago he was on the floor the whole night.

He wanted a Google Home to listen to music. I thought I could use it to make him warn me when there is something wrong with him.
I have a Homey and a Google Home. My phone is in silent mode when I am asleep. 

Is there a way I can make his Google Home communicate to my Homey (or my Google Home) and let it turn on some lights (in my bedroom and more)?
I thought IFTTT could help me with this but I have not found anything useful yet.

I hope some good ideas will popup here.

P.S. making him wear a button wil not work, it will be the same as with his phone. He will just forget it or forget to charge it.

Thanks,
Aaron
Tagged:

Comments

• konradwalshkonradwalsh Member
    edited April 2018
    Hey
    Sorry to hear the reasons you need this. That must be distressing.

I see no reason you cannot use IFTTT to hear his commands and forward those to Homey. Homey then sends emails / sms / notifications to any number of services and phones etc

So you would just have to set up IFTTT. Connect that service to Google Home and Homey.
    With IFTT set up an applet to grab you Google Assistant Command
    Then install the Homey IFTTT app and set that with a FLOW to receive a command from IFTTT
    Then Homey will handle that whatever what you need

If you need a more step by step approach, just say and I will send you screenshots of what needs to be done
  • AaronAaron Member
    Thanks @konradwalsh
    The problem in with this case is that it will be his Google Home and IFTTT ( or can I connect his google home and google account with my IFTTT?) and I need to send a message to my IFTTT. My IFTTT will then connect to my Homey and Homey will do the rest.

I am already using Homey with IFTTT, but that is all within one account.

I hope this is clear. Am I missing something or misunderstanding? 

Aaron
  • SytzeSytze Member
    You could look into using webhooks to send info from his Home/IFTTT to notify you or your IFTTT/Homey somehow. Not sure if it's possible though, I haven't worked with outgoing webhooks from IFTTT.
  • Aaron said:
    Thanks @konradwalsh
    The problem in with this case is that it will be his Google Home and IFTTT ( or can I connect his google home and google account with my IFTTT?) and I need to send a message to my IFTTT. My IFTTT will then connect to my Homey and Homey will do the rest.

I am already using Homey with IFTTT, but that is all within one account.

I hope this is clear. Am I missing something or misunderstanding? 

Aaron
    ah thats true

ok, so the second option you have would be to use his google home and ifttt to send an IFTTT Webhook to your homey using the HTTP Flow cards app.. so you would set your homey https://cloudID.ahtom.com/api/com.internet/
    this would trigger the flow you need then
  • AaronAaron Member
    Hi @Sytze and @konradwalsh
    Thanks, I will have a look at the webhook, though I have never worked with them. Sadly it is not that easy to make it work I see. I hoped I just missed something  :)

Aaron
    edited April 2018
    O.K.. 
    I will give you a step by step
    So you are ok with the connect his google home to IFTTT 
    Create the applet to capture his command and then we go from there?

In IFTTT goto - https://ifttt.com/maker_webhooks

the part I have blacked out is
    https://webhooks.athom.com/webhook/ATHOM-CLOUD-ID/?token=WEBHOOK-APP-TOKEN&event=konrad_presence&data1=konrad&data2=home

Install the Webhook App

you will even have a premade sample in the setting page to work with

with you flows then you do this

• This wont help with your homey connection, but i would also suggest Priority mode. If he has his phone he can always call you and your phone will always ring when he calls. 

Maybe you can also solve this with tasker if you have an android phone. I belief tasker can turn on the volume, so your phone will be you alarm bell day and night. 
  • AaronAaron Member
    Hi @konradwalsh
    Thanks! I will try this as soon as I get the chance. I will let you know how it goes.

@JeroenKleijn
    Yes I have put his number under my favorites (iPhone), so when he does have his phone and when it is charged  :p I will hear him. The google home solution is for when other things fail. It is still far from 100% failproof.

Thanks for thinking with me. 
    Aaron
  • AaronAaron Member
    edited May 2018
    Hi @konradwalsh
    I have tried the steps you told me. If I test the flow it works but if I test my IFTTT applet it does not. Makes me think it does not connect with the webhook manager. 
    I have used the athom cloud id and the token from what has been given by the webhook manager.
    It also says the applet never run, I don't know if it shows if it ran if I only test it.

Greetings,
    Aaron
  • when you copy and paste this into your browser, does it work?

• Aaron said:

It also says the applet never run, I don't know if it shows if it ran if I only test it.

I believe from my experience, test runs are not counted. I believe it only counts the runs properly triggered
  • yemoHyemoH Member
    Does he fall at night? Maybe motion sensors connected to Google home can turn on the lights in the hallway. Out of the box, I was recently visiting an elderly home and there was a railing along the wall in the hallway. Maybe that will help too.
  • MaanMaan Member
    Maybe I can add something. I'm disabled myself and I live alone. One of the reasons I bought a homey, was my fall from the stairs last year. It took my two ours before I was able to call 112.
    I use sensors to switch the lights on, so I don't have to reach out for light switches. At night I can turn the all lights on, in a dimmed mode ( bright lights can be disorienting ), with one button on my night stand. My next step will be, to find a way to sent my son a text, from a trigger. 

When someone fall, there are two possibility's, he's conscious or unconscious. When unconscious, the trigger must follow on a non-action. 
    Maybe it is a option to put a sensor near the bedroom, so when he leaves the bedroom, the sensor must be triggered in a x-time again. Otherwise it will trigger an alarm, because he's not coming back to the bedroom. That should work even if he's unconscious. Of course this isn't helpful a daytime. 
    When conscious, most likely disoriented. Simple tasks are hard to perform. 
    In my experience it is harder to say something when you'r disoriented, after you slap your head f.i., then to puss a button or pull a string. Especially logical sentences in a typical order. ( I was talking about my cat at the 112 operator)
    I'm planning to put alarm buttons near the floor at strategic points. I haven't find any smart pull-string-switches jet. ( just pop into my mind, you can make one yourself from a door/window sensor) 
    It is hard to build an all case scenario, alarm.

• yemoHyemoH Member
    Have you considered something like this? I expect that it doesn't require to be frequently charged since it works with z-wave. For the record, I don't use this product or have any financial interest.  
    https://www.e-domotica.com/en/em6796-automatic-fall-detection-with-z-wave-sensor

• AaronAaron Member
    Hi all,
    Thanks for the ideas. I want to keep it simple and maybe later on expand and make use of other things. I know it is not 100% but it is at least a little bit more towards the 100%  :)
    He does not have a Homey, so I will have to do with the Google Home. Maybe I will look for some simple sensors and light switches that connect with GH.

@konradwalsh
    Thanks, did not know I could check it that way. I get a page with "ok" in it and my flow on Homey runs (get a message on my phone, not at home right now). So that seems right. I must have made an error in my applet then :# .

Could it be that I have made two applets with "help" and "alarm" in it? I have one with sms and one to my Homey. The one with the sms works by the way.

greetings,
    Aaron

• RonnORonnO Member
    Hi Aaron,

You wrote that the problem in this case is that it will be your fathers Google Home and IFTTT.
    Why don't you change that into your own Google Home, just at a different location? Is that possible with that device?
    edited May 2018
    Aaron said:
    Hi all,
    Thanks for the ideas. I want to keep it simple and maybe later on expand and make use of other things. I know it is not 100% but it is at least a little bit more towards the 100%  :)
    He does not have a Homey, so I will have to do with the Google Home. Maybe I will look for some simple sensors and light switches that connect with GH.

@konradwalsh
    Thanks, did not know I could check it that way. I get a page with "ok" in it and my flow on Homey runs (get a message on my phone, not at home right now). So that seems right. I must have made an error in my applet then :# .

Could it be that I have made two applets with "help" and "alarm" in it? I have one with sms and one to my Homey. The one with the sms works by the way.

greetings,
    Aaron

No, I think the problem is the voice command is too generic for Google Assistant. I know I tried use alarm for setting my house alarm. Sometimes it would trigger the IFTTT and sometimes it would just set a phone clock alarm. I am trying to think of ways to workaround that

I wonder can you have him say
    'I need help'
    'I want help'
    'Please Help'

also in the Google Assistant Settings, there is shortcuts..  I used these to get me more ways of same thing
  • AaronAaron Member
    Hi @RonnO
    I thought of that but I foresee other problems then. I don't want to get things mixed.

@konradwalsh
    That did not work either. The SMS works though and that applet uses the same words (help and alarm). It works all the time. 
    It needs to use the GET method and application/json for content type? Else I don't know what other settings could be wrong...

Aaron

• Definitely a GET request works..

I am playing with my assistant and webhooks to see what else could be wrong for you..

The facts are
    You can manually run the get request successfully.
    The same triggers work for SMS
    They just dont trigger the webhook

Could you create another applet with some manual trigger? Say like a button on your homescreen and click it triggers the IFTTT Applet?
    This will mean that the issue is with the Google Home and/or the link between the GH and the IFTTT service

• AaronAaron Member
    @konradwalsh
    Oke, this is the thing. I don't have physical eccess to to my fathers GH at the moment but I used his ifttt app on my phone. The button works....on the phone, not when I test it on the ifttt site. Which make me think that there is something wrong with the testing function. I will ask him to test it on his GH (did that already but I might have changed some things then which could make it not work). I will let you know.

Aaron
  • AaronAaron Member
    Hi,
    Sadly it did not work. I tried it over facetime  :) I got the SMS but not the message through homey. The counter on my applet stil shows "Never run".
    Its a mystery  :p

Aaron 
  • Is IFTTT sending the SMS or how are you triggering the Send SMS?
  • i suggest you disable the SMS trigger/applet
    then try?
    I reckon its overriding it