This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

What does the energy consumption cost?

Simple enhancement idea. Since many Zwave devices support logging energy consumption it would be nice if we could add our energy cost per kWh in Homey. Then logging could show the energy consumption in euro's instead of a number followed by kWh. Would turn numbers into more useful information for me!

Comments

• I like your idea
  • Would be nice to see costs in euro's, next to consumption in kWh :smile: 
  • Sort of tangent to this but still related; there's a lot of z-wave equipment that can be turned on or off but does not register used power. It has no power meter built in. For example a simple on/off Z-wave switch without power consumption measuring built in doesn't report back how much energy was used. My point is this; it would be great if you could declare for any device how much energy on average it would consume if it was on. For example if you attach a 60 watt light to a Z-wave on/off switch, when it's on, it starts counting the power consumed based on the assumption that there's a 60 watt load. This is what the Fibaro Home Center 2 for example can do. Same for dimmer devices - take a guesstimate at % * watts = power consumed, when device is on.

In general having a well worked out power consumption table/graph would be much welcomed.
  • Thats exactly what i wanted to request. I have seen this on fibaro and really liked it. So big +1 ;)
  • Keep in mind that the energy price can be different on peak and off-peak times (and these times differ per region), when changing your contract (or having a variable price contract) or even when using solar power (although I would show generated power as general cost savings, not as 'cheaper energy')... So logging actual costs will require a lookup table with all prices and active date/times. Otherwise, only averages/approximations could be given.

Also, the Z-Wave device itself consumes electricity (I'll admit not much, Fibaro <1.4W and Qubino <0.7W), that it will not report back. The measurement accuracy may also be a couple percent off (the Fibaro Dimmer 2 using a 2-wire connection with a resistive load at <70% brightness up to 4%) and only updated/sent on a predefined power change or time interval.

If energy metering is not available for a device, it would be great to set a virtual power value (in Watts), like @novaflash suggested. Homey would only have to keep track of when the device is turned on/off and use the virtual value as an estimated energy consumption.

The best way would be to monitor all consumed (and generated/exported) energy using a simple kWh-meter (via S0 pulse counting and eg. an Arduino) or direct connection to a smart meter (P1/DSMR). This has to advantage to also show energy consumption relative to the whole household (or a specific room within Homey) and from there on calculate an estimate of energy costs per device.
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    I have two ideas for this:
    1. In insights, add a formula that transforms your data (e.g. 3*value)
    2. Create a report functionality that generates a weekly/monthly/quarterly/yearly report of your home (this might take longer, obviously)
  • I already see myself shouting through the living room to my wife:
    "Honny, the financial report of Homey is in!"  B)
  • @emile the idea of the formula in the report section sounds good!
  • Data transformations in formula's would be a nice feature. You will need it in scenario's like:
     - watts to kilo watts
     - sensordata devision (some stupid sensors send humidity or lux multiplied by 100, i know apps should fix this)

Also count functions are interesting:
     - how often is movement seen in a period of time
     - doorbell counter

It's getting more complex if we could calculate things like:
     - for how long was a doorsensor in state 'opened' in a period of time
     - for how long was a lightbulb in state 'on' in a period of time
     - sum of watts in a specific time range (00:00 - 07:00) in a period of time * tarif 
This discussion has been closed.