This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Homey 1.5.8 and 1.5.9

bvdbosbvdbos Member
edited April 2018 in Archive
Recently Firmware 1.5.9 got released shortly after 1.5.8 got released to the stable channel.

Most important improvement of this update is the support for XIaomi-devices. But there have been tons of other improvements, for a full list see https://firmware.athom.com/ or the overview of closed bugs on Github.

Firmware 1.5.8:
  • [Z-Wave] Fixed Notification parser
  • [ZigBee] Simultaneous reported attributes are now handled correctly
  • [Core] Fixed a bug that could prevent renaming zones
  • [ZigBee] Move 'stuff for geeks' to Developer tools
  • [ZigBee] Stability improvements
  • [Z-Wave] Move 'stuff for geeks' to Developer tools
  • [Z-Wave] Update Command Class SDK to 6.01
  • [Z-Wave] Add heal command (Developer Tools)
  • [Z-Wave] Stability improvements
  • [Core] Fixed a bug that could cause red rings upon reboots
  • [Core] Fix a bug that could lead to cloud disconnections
  • [Core] Fix a bug that could lead to unused storage not being freed
  • [Core] Improved boot time
  • [SDK] Update Node.js to 8.9.4
  • [Updates] Moved experimental checkbox to Developer tools
  • [Security] Fix CVE-2017-5715
  • [Other] Various minor fixes and improvements (A complete list can be found at GitHub)
Firmware 1.5.9:
  • [BLE] Various bugfixes for SDKv2 apps
  • [Alarms] Fixed a bug that could cause disabled alarms to still trigger flows
  • [Z-Wave] Multichannel node-IDs are now accessible in SDKv2 apps
Because this update is distributed in waves, not everyone will get the update at the same time. You might be able to bypass the waves by checking for updates manually  in Settings > Updates.

!Important note!
Keep in mind that this topic is not the place to report bugs or request new features, this has to be done at the Github of Athom.

In case you need support direct from Athom an email to Support@athom.com is the best way to contact them.

Comments

• JPeJPe Member
    edited March 2018
    @bvdbos   maybe this item can be made "sticky" so it stay's at top?
  • Checking for updates does not bypass the wave thing for me. Unfortunately.
  • Same here, I'll give it another try tomorrow.
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    Checking for updates does not bypass the wave thing for me. Unfortunately.
    Bypassing the waves works with Homey v1.5.6 or higher :-)
  • DrDoomDrDoom Member
    edited March 2018
    Nice!  :)

Can something be said about the time frame in which poor old v1.5.3's will get their updates? Is it hours? days? Weeks?
  • I already regret updating to the 1.5.8 from the 1.5.7-x releases.
    I was actually confident in the stability to move everything to homey but then 1.5.8 happened :-/
    Since the update homey froze more than once and had to be unplugged to bring it back
    Only had 17 apps installed in the beginning, gradually removed more, now down to 12 which seemed to help it's stability.

I did fill in the survey and included a log, which was unfortunately run after homey froze once again, so not sure if there is any helpful information in there, on that topic when will we (users) be able to see that info, i'd like to troubleshoot things myself.  
  • PhaetonPhaeton Member
    edited March 2018
    In what way does 1.5.7 differ from 1.5.8? Was 1.5.7 more stable then 1.5.8? That's a bit weird since it shouldnt differ that much.
  • I know, but as soon as I updated bad stuff happened <span>:neutral:</span>
  • Getting frustrated with the quality of these new updates.
    I (and also other users) now got weather sensors not working for quite some time (used to work) - and not fixed in this release either.
    My journey with Athom and Homey is changing from excitement early on, to becoming frustrated with the lack of stability on functions that used to work. They introduce 5 next functions/features and break 2 at the same time !!
    Looks like they are trying to do too much at the same time.
    I would prefer them to focus on the 'Core' functions of the Homey(super versatile connectivity and workflow engine), and then drop focus on all the other pieces, ie. mobile app, etc. and instead build out the APIs with other apps and solutions, i.e. ImperiHome for mobile app(as that is way ahead of the Homey mobile App(also compared to the new version in beta). 
    I like the concept of Homey being able to connect to a lot of sensors and devices, and it will allow us to pick the sensor and devices that suits our requirements the best. I'm fine that they still need to build out some of features to utilize the capabilities of the hardware - but don't want to buy sensors that are supported, and confirmed by others to work - just to find that after a month of use, they now don't work after a new firmware release, and haven't done for a couple of months.
    I have now come to the point where I can't live with a solution that isn't providing the level of quality expected - when you rely on your home automation - and not just play around.
    Thus, I have made a promise to myself - if the Homey doesn't work with the basic features that used to work by end of April, I will scrap it, and then buy a Fibaro home center 2 (as most of my sensors and devices are Fibaro) - and then change my remaining sensors to Fibaro compatible models.
    Really want Homey to succeed, and cross fingers for some serious quality improvements.
  • Strange as afaik only https://github.com/athombv/homey/milestone/71 was fixed (except maybe for tamperalarm as I understood)

• @juuldkyour 433 sensors won't work with an HC. As for issues, I think there are more issues on a Fibaro, it less userfriendly and has way less posibilities:
    https://forum.fibaro.com/forum/532-home-center-2/
    But you'll find out yourself if it comes to that ;-)

If you've been having these issues with weather-sensors for some months I assume you are on experimental firmware? Then you know that can happen. Though I'd rather have seen the 433 sensors fixed (or better: working like they used to in 1.5.3 and before), Athom made the choice to release 1.5.8 without a fix for this. I'm sure this is on top of their list now. It's not without reason there's hardly any progress on "new things" like the new mobile app...
  • Although I understand the frustrations as @juuldk ; expresses, I'm very happy with 1.5.8 which I updated to this afternoon. I have been waiting (impatiently) for a new stable version for almost half a year.

All might not be perfect (yet), but from what I can see Zigbee works very well now. Z-wave seems quite more stable and it looks like the protocol now really uses retries if initial actions were not picked up the 1st time.

And what really surprised me, the loadavg has come down significantly. With about 20 apps running I used to have this between 0.8 - 0.9 with ups to 1.5 or so. Now it is down to 0.11 - 0.33; I even saw a 0.07 pass by....

To get back to the point, not all is probably fixed but GREAT improvements have been made! Still sucks of course if your particular issue is not fixed yet...

• Did the update came automatically?
    Because mine homey is still on 1.5.3.
    I don't know what's wrong.
  • @micha35w

Just re-read the opening post

Because this update is distributed in waves, not everyone will get the update at the same time. 
  • I'm also very happy with my Homey mainly because of its endless possibilities.
    Only one core problem still exists and is very annoying ..... switching more then 1 ikea bulbs in one action.
    I know that in homey 2.0 this will be solved (I hope), because if that is gone my Homey is 100% perfect.
  • @GeurtDijker
    But their is already bin some more updates between 1.5.3 and 1.5.8. And I.m on 1.5.3 right now
  • micha35w said:
    @GeurtDijker
    But their is already bin some more updates between 1.5.3 and 1.5.8. And I.m on 1.5.3 right now
    No, all in between where experimental, except 1.5.6 that is only deliverd to the new hardware from factory. 1.5.8 is the first available for you and will be delivered in the coming days to everyone. 
  • Just to be clear.. If I update from 1.5.6 to 1.5.8, 433 sensors wont work at all, or is it a spesific protocol that dont work?
  • Just to be clear.. If I update from 1.5.6 to 1.5.8, 433 sensors wont work at all, or is it a spesific protocol that dont work?
    My 433 Switches and Sockets (KAKU, Elro/HomeEasy  and My Own App Screen line ) still work. I am from Early Experimental and DP on 1.5.8. I cant tell for other Brands and Sensors.
    As the Issue already appeared in rc6 in above GH issue it was already introduced in the 1.5.6 (and under investigation / maybe partial solved) 
  • bvdbos said:
    @juuldkyour 433 sensors won't work with an HC. As for issues, I think there are more issues on a Fibaro, it less userfriendly and has way less posibilities:
    https://forum.fibaro.com/forum/532-home-center-2/
    But you'll find out yourself if it comes to that ;-)

If you've been having these issues with weather-sensors for some months I assume you are on experimental firmware? Then you know that can happen. Though I'd rather have seen the 433 sensors fixed (or better: working like they used to in 1.5.3 and before), Athom made the choice to release 1.5.8 without a fix for this. I'm sure this is on top of their list now. It's not without reason there's hardly any progress on "new things" like the new mobile app...
    Yes, I'm on experimental firmware, and fully understand the risks of being on that. However, I only went to experimental firmware, as I'm currently unhappy with the quality of the official version - thus hoping to get and see improvements. 

Thank you for the 'warning' on the HC. Today 80% of my sensors and devices are Fibaro - thus my consideration to go for the HC. But I might have to bite the bullet and then go for the Homeseer SEL (or SEL pro).

Really love the concept of the Homey, but I'm just seriously worried that they can't get it stable, as they will continue to enhance and develop the capabilities of the Homey via new software releases - this is the beauty and power of the hardware, and the Apps environment and community - but if they can't get the core firmware functions stable, then the rest doesn't matter.
    I might be wrong, but it looks like they didn't build the software in a component/object based model, which will allow them to limit the impact and testing to the specific components modified during each release.
    Did some serious development work some years back(apps for WW usage by thousands of users) - and getting the component(object) model sorted from the outset was key - as we could limit and control the impact of our changes, i.e. someone optimising/fixing the network communication components, didn't impact the other components.
    I know I'm only guessing, and that the Athom team is doing their outmost to develop the solution - but I just don't like what I'm experiencing as a user. They add new functions, and then existing functions somewhere else breaks ...  This will only get worse as the software is built out to utilise the full power of the hardware. 

My ask to Athom is: please focus on core features and functions, and QA....   and forget about other new stuff until the core is working (didn't buy the Homey for the mobile app...) - i.e. would love to have it integrate to ImperiHome or similar, as they are way ahead, and rightly so, as that is all they do.

Athom need to 'bite the bullet' and stop developing in all directions and get the core fixed - have seen many companies die - not due to innovation, but lack of quality. 
    Do you remember the company 'Kiss Technology' that made breakthrough sat- and DVR set-top boxes, that was able to do 5 times more than any other set-top box. We all loved them in the early days as they provided weekly/monthly firmware upgrades with new functions) and we ended up hating them for their lack of stability and support.(and they went bust...).  
    I don't want that to happen for Athom... and I hope they will take this as positive feedback.
  • Thank you for the 'warning' on the HC. Today 80% of my sensors and devices are Fibaro - thus my consideration to go for the HC. But I might have to bite the bullet and then go for the Homeseer SEL (or SEL pro).

Homeseer doesn't have an issuetracker but
    Homeseer 26000 hits: https://www.google.nl/search?q=issue+site:forums.homeseer.com
    Homey 1670 hits: https://www.google.nl/search?q=issue+site:forum.athom.com
    Athom need to 'bite the bullet' and stop developing in all directions and get the core fixed - have seen many companies die - not due to innovation, but lack of quality.
    Athom is doing that, like I said, not without a reason there's hardly anything happening (afaik) on the mobile app and the UI.
  • Homeseer is older and has more users. It has way way more integrations. So that comparison is not fair. I come from homeseer. I Ioved it, but it required more scripting, the interface was less appealing and events/flows are a bit more complex. But offer more functionalities. Untill now there is nothing i cant do with homey which i could do with homeseer. I moved out of my house and decided to give homey a chance. I sticked with homey. Just my 2 cents. 

For now this update seems to handle z-wave better.
  • I asked homey this morning if there was an update, and surely it said there was! It would upgrade him from 1.5.3 to 1.5.8 and he asked if I wanted to install. YES YES YES!!! please do :)
    15 minutes later all was done and all is working well. So far no issues, but the real play test will be this evening after work.

Keep up the good work on Homey! I love him still :) (and even the ladies find him adorable and fun *smiles*)

• rickprickp Member
    edited March 2018
    i asked homey for the update and it asks me if i want to install. He doens't respond to yes by speaking or through the app. How did you do it?

---

bypassed by unchecking auto updates
  • I just said Yes, or Ja in dutch :)
  • YpeYpe Member
    i talked directly to homey and now he is
     updating <span>:smiley:</span>
  • Ok. update is done here. yellow ring was running and then Homey did say something, I didn't understand.
    Would like to now what that was.
    Now I see only a puprle led light running on the Homey. Is this normal or what should I do?
    '
  • Purple means it is updating
This discussion has been closed.