This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official

[APP] Owntracks client for Homey

1235»

Comments

• First off, thanks for this app.
    I've spent about 4 hours today to get this up and running.
    but it seems that I'm stuck.
    hope you guys can help.

i've set MQTT mosquitto on my synology nas.
    seems to work fine.
    i have installed owntracks on my android device and set a region HOME.
    this seems to work as well. I get push messages stating that I've entered a region.
    Furthermore, i've setup the client app on homey, which receives all messages from Owntracks.
    I can see those in the logs.

However, it seems like:
    1. the fence location isnt coming through properly. In the user overview, it states fence = "undefined"
    User Fence Lon Lat Battery Device
    Pipo undefined 4.xxxxxxx 51.xxxxxx 12% oneplus5t
    2. the geofence event flow doesnt trigger any action (in this case to set a boolean value)

what do you guys need me to show in order to help me further?

Enable "share" in the geofence definition in the app on your phone.

• Seriously... it was that simple :-)
    Thanks Menno.
    Now I can see that the fence is updated. Cool.
    I will continue tweaking things further, to see if I can actually practically use the geofencing!
  • Hi Guys,

First of all, thanks for the app, we really need a good presence in Homey to really benefit from the newest apps (like heimdal) or being able to turn on the heater when my girlfriend leaves work (much desired feature at the moment  :) )

That said, I'm struggling to make it work. I have configured the app on my phone, created regions and can see I'm leaving and entering the regions in the app. I've configured it to use http, accuracy at 150 and can see it's receiving data from my phone. (both the geofences defined as regions in the app and my actual location)

On my phone however, I can see I'm in a region, homey does not list me being in a fence as I see from other screenshots.

More importantly, even though I traverse between two regions in the app, and see location info being shared in the log, the flows do not trigger.

I have a similar flow to test all users leaving any geofence setup. neither do trigger

Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
    Patrick

Running Homey Firmware Versie: 1.5.3 and Owntracks Client v2.1.0
  • edited February 2018
    @Bumper Did you enabled the Share option in your regions in the app on your Phone ? 
  • Hi guys, started working properly after increasing the accuracy setting! Perfect

Pat
  • Just installed it for the first time:

• edited February 2018
    quakerix said:
    Just installed it for the first time:

Is normal. The config files are not created yet.
    You will not see that error again. 
  • quakerix said:

Thanks.

Other question. I have created a Geo fence but Current Data is not showing the user being in the fence. The column is empty. While Edit Geofences lists my home fence properly. And in the owntracks app i'm visually within the zone.

Any idea why i'm not listed as in the zone?
  • quakerix said:
    quakerix said:

Thanks.

Other question. I have created a Geo fence but Current Data is not showing the user being in the fence. The column is empty. While Edit Geofences lists my home fence properly. And in the owntracks app i'm visually within the zone.

You enabled SHARE inside the region definition on your phone? If the share option is disabled, the app on the phone will not send the region name and as such the homey app cant recognize the fence.

Besides the phone app sends a message when entering or leaving a fence.
  • quakerix said:
    quakerix said:

Thanks.

You enabled SHARE inside the region definition on your phone? If the share option is disabled, the app on the phone will not send the region name and as such the homey app cant recognize the fence.

Thanks, that part seems to work now.

other issue I have is that my gf her phone has no geo fences, while I press that nice little button to sent them. Nothing appears in her app.

suggestions? 
  • quakerix said:
    quakerix said:
    quakerix said:

Thanks.

other issue I have is that my gf her phone has no geo fences, while I press that nice little button to sent them. Nothing appears in her app.

suggestions? 

Pushing geofences to a phone only works with mqtt.
    If you use mqtt then check the owntrownt app on you girlfrgirlf phone and enable remite commands. 
  • quakerix said:
    quakerix said:
    quakerix said:

Thanks.

suggestions? 

Pushing geofences to a phone only works with mqtt.
    If you use mqtt then check the owntrownt app on you girlfrgirlf phone and enable remite commands. 
    I'm using: cloudmqtt. Is it known that its not working via that broker?
  • @quakerix
    No reason why it would not work on that broker. Just check the following:
    Did you enable remote commands on the owntracks phone apps?
    Check the permissions on the topics.
    The homey account should have write permissions, but i cant tell how you setup your cloudMQTT.

• @quakerix
    No reason why it would not work on that broker. Just check the following:
    Did you enable remote commands on the owntracks phone apps?
    Check the permissions on the topics.
    The homey account should have write permissions, but i cant tell how you setup your cloudMQTT.

There is no such thing as remote commands in the iOS app. I did find something about it on Google. But no UI thingy at least. 

The topics and permission (read/write) are set according to the guide.
  • I can not get it to work. I want to switch everything around, since i have my MQTT broker only within my lan. 

What i want:
    A tablet on the wall which runs owntracks ( and homey dash ofc). Give everybody a ibeacon keychain (all with the same id). Based on the precence of the beacons i want to know if somebody(dont care who) is home. The broker and everything is working, but i can not get it to trigger. the Fence radius is on 0 and the share in turned on.

anybody an idea??
  • Hi Guys,

have the app working on two iphones (8 and 6) but while my phone (8) is reporting fine on all geofences, my girlfriends phone reports fine on two work locations, but often ignores the 'thuis' zone (resulting in her not being home according to homey and all kind of complaints :o )

all geofences are configured on the different phones, her thuis is renamed to thuis2, just in case, but has the same coordinates and all geofences are shared on the phones.

Any clues as to where to look next?

thanks,
    Pat
  • Does / will this client also support Shared Secrets (or “secret encryption keys” as it’s called in the app)?

See here: http://owntracks.org/booklet/features/encrypt/
  • Does / will this client also support Shared Secrets (or “secret encryption keys” as it’s called in the app)?

No the app does not support that. I have not found a nodejs library that i can use to implement that. Homey does not have a native encryption library that can be used for such things (or at least not that i know of).
  • VeldkornetVeldkornet Member
    edited April 2018
    Does / will this client also support Shared Secrets (or “secret encryption keys” as it’s called in the app)?

No the app does not support that. I have not found a nodejs library that i can use to implement that. Homey does not have a native encryption library that can be used for such things (or at least not that i know of).
    Hmm, indeed. Seems like a Node issue. See  here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22998229/preshared-keys-tls-psk-with-aes-256-cbc-sha-with-node-js-server
  • Bumper said:
    Hi Guys,

have the app working on two iphones (8 and 6) but while my phone (8) is reporting fine on all geofences, my girlfriends phone reports fine on two work locations, but often ignores the 'thuis' zone (resulting in her not being home according to homey and all kind of complaints :o )

all geofences are configured on the different phones, her thuis is renamed to thuis2, just in case, but has the same coordinates and all geofences are shared on the phones.

Any clues as to where to look next?

thanks,
    Pat
    Did you fix this?

I have a similar issue where I see in the Owntracks logs on Homey that the device left the geofence, checks that there were no double events and that it was within the accuracy... but the flow wasn’t triggered which is supposed to trigger when that person leaves the geofence. 
  • I noticed that sometimes the geofence triggers worked, and other times they were just missed / skipped / I don't know exactly what, but it doesn't always work.

So far, I found this personally to be more reliable.
  • Veldkornet said:

Did you fix this?

I have a similar issue where I see in the Owntracks logs on Homey that the device left the geofence, checks that there were no double events and that it was within the accuracy... but the flow wasn’t triggered which is supposed to trigger when that person leaves the geofence. 
    No, reliability for that phone seems off. strangely enough. have worked around it a bit with a second flow that marks my girlfriend as 'away' whenever she enters her work geofence, that one always triggers. Really hope Homey fixes presence as it's breaking any reliable alarm functionality
  • BumperBumper Member
    edited April 2018
    Hi Guys,

yesterday the owntracks client on my system lost all information on geofences and users. Second time it happened to me over the past months, first time was after an update, but don't see one in the logs this time. I can see the phone apps still communicating with Homey, they show up in the logs, but are no longer recognized off course. Any clue how to prevent this?

thanks,
    Patrick

PS, any way to recreate the users' with the same token so I don't have to reconfigure the phone apps too?
  • Hello all, i have installed MQTT on my synology server, the owntracks app on my iphone and the app for homey, i read all the possible discussions and the app on the phone and the app on homey working perfect, i see the logs and i shared my locations and they are inside homey, even i can see them in the flowcards, but then it will stop for me to get it working, do you have examples for triggers, because i tryed a lot but i cant get them working, if i ask homey my location, then he will tell me, so its working.
  • SteefphSteefph Member
    edited May 2018
    Currently there is a new version in the beta channel. The owntracks app has been redesigned internally and the following functional changes have been added:
    - owntracks/#  topic is added by default. 
    - Voice capability added (NL / EN). You can ask "Wat is de locatie van xxx"  or "Waar is xxx"  and homey will tell you the geoFence that person is in.
    Perhaps a stupid late question but, would it be possible to make the response lookup the GPS coordinate and translate into an address instead of only geofence? Perhaps also that the address is available as a tag so it can be used in a push message? :smile: